Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

• 3 weeks later...

Putting aside my chick-lit, Mills & Boon and Barbara Cartland :lol:

Now reading The Face of Battle: A study of Agincourt, Waterloo and the Somme: John Keegan

Very interesting so far. Plenty of Strategy and Tactics

Caryl

Peter Hart's 'Aces Falling', signed edition bought from the author at the GWF conference. A good read with only a few pedantic quibbles on my part

cheers Martin B

Latest books digested and yet to be

There's a devil in the drum by J F Lucy. A stunning book imho.

The Burgoyne Diaries by G A Burgoyne.

To be fair to Burgoyne he had no idea that many years later we'd be reading his personal letters. He was there and I, well, wasn't but .......

I found that he came across as being not very likeable. As I had a relative in the 2nd Bn Irish Rifles at that time I probably took some of the things he said a bit personnally. (Stupid I know). More than once in his letters to his wife he calls the men 'cowards & curs' and calls other men 'fools' when they are killed. However, I did read it to the end and liked it overall.

Walking the Salient by Paul Reed.

Just got this one and started flicking through. It looks great, packed with info and what I really like is the pocket size of the BG Europe editions. I've used another 'Walking' guide in the field elsewhere and hope I can get to use this one at some stage.

Tea, Rum and Fags, Sustaining Tommy, 1914-1918 by Alan Weeks.

An excellent read all about rations, official and scrounged.

Sue

• Admin

Underground Warfare 194-1918 by Simon Jones. Very good it is too.

Michelle

'The Other Side of the Wire' by forum member Ralph Whitehead. Excellent and very detailed book about the German army on the Somme 1914 to 1916. Certainly demonstrates how experienced and prepared the German army was for our 'big push'.

Ends 30th June 1916 so waiting on volume two.

Len

Putting aside my chick-lit, Mills & Boon and Barbara Cartland :lol:

Now reading The Face of Battle: A study of Agincourt, Waterloo and the Somme: John Keegan

Caryl

On the former, I'm told the new-fangled electronic book gizmos are good: no-one knows what you're reading. Well, so I believe. I obviously have no personal experience whatever.

On the latter, an excellent book: I read it first many years ago, and re-read it every so often. A different war, but Six Armies in Normandy is also a very good read.

I am on financial hold at the moment but when my incoming catches up with the outwent, I have Ivor Lee's book on the Labour Corps in my sights.

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. One of the best anti-war novels ever written. Trumbo was later black listed by Hollywood but he kept on writing screenplays under different aliases, some you may have even heard of: Spartacus, Exodus, and Papillon among many others (including Johnny Got His Gun). A real, independent, no b.s. American writer who took no prisoners and who lived life with a higher moral code than most of us.

Currently reading "Somme" by Lyn MacDonald, having just finished her Paschendaele book.

Ive just ordered Verdun by Alistair Horne and also Paths of Glory by Anthony Clayton.

I can't wait to get stuck into them!

I have just finished The Tank in Action by Capt D G Browne MC 1920, written in 1919 so has the

views of the time. At one point he gives a couple of paragraphs to the the 'Hot Air Force' of which we

gather he is not too pleased. His Tank, G46, is the tank that is lying derilict near Pilkem the photo of it

appears in many books.

I rearly enjoyed this and recommend it, however I had to order it through the inter lending library system,

well worth the fee of £3.70.

Bob

I have just started a new book called 'The Marne, 1914' by a Canadian professor named Holger H. Herwig, published only last year. It's subtitled The Opening of World War I and the Battle that Changed the World. The author says he has

focussed on the German side with a lot of unused sources. It may be very interesting.

cheers Martin B

I have just started a new book called 'The Marne, 1914' by a Canadian professor named Holger H. Herwig, published only last year. It's subtitled The Opening of World War I and the Battle that Changed the World. The author says he has

focussed on the German side with a lot of unused sources. It may be very interesting.

cheers Martin B

I enjoyed it, Martin but I wish he had got to the Marne earlier.

• Admin

Picked up a copy of 'Before Endeavours Fade' by Rose Coombs MBE. The book was tucked away in a bookshop inside a sealed envelope, been looking for a copy for a while so bought it.

Great delight when I got home, took it out of the envelope and found the author had signed it inside the front cover.

I now understand why it is often described as 'indispensable', wish I'd bought it years ago.

Ken

The War Illustrated. I was recently very generously given vols 1, 3, 4, 7 by a forum pal.

Currently half way through volume one. Fascinating stuff.

On the look out for the missing volumes now.

I got a book down off the shelf, Naill Fergusons The Pity of War which I read several years ago and have been dipping into again. I wasn't that impressed the first time I read it as I had no way of checking the numbers he used to under pin his conclusions, and I am a bit of a numbers person.

Question for the experts - have Ferguson's statistics and numbers which he used for this book ever been seriously questioned in the intervening period since the book was written? Not nit picking little errors but have any major mistakes been identified, especially when he starts talking about the comparative death rates for BEF vs German Army? I googled it but couldn't (easily) pick up any information either way.

Just curious - he seems to have spent some time on this.

Apart from that brought Jack Sheldons German Army at Passchendaele and liked it so brought German Army on the Somme and liked it even more.

Picked up a copy of 'Before Endeavours Fade' by Rose Coombs MBE. The book was tucked away in a bookshop inside a sealed envelope, been looking for a copy for a while so bought it.

Great delight when I got home, took it out of the envelope and found the author had signed it inside the front cover.

I now understand why it is often described as 'indispensable', wish I'd bought it years ago.

Ken

I agree. I also bought mine second hand and co-incidentally I found inside mine a letter to the original owner of the book from Rose Coombs herself, typewritten but signed by her telling him the best times of the year weather-wise to travel to the Battlefields. He must have written to her about asking her opinions on when to travel. That made my copy even more precious

The book is also heavily annotated throughout by the previous owner, although I'm not sure that's such a good thing!

Caryl

Bloody Victory William Philpott.

Recommended...an English book that actualy covers the French contribution to the Somme.

Just got to Sept 1916.

TT

Cecil Lewis' "Sagittarius Rising."

The book is also heavily annotated throughout by the previous owner, although I'm not sure that's such a good thing!

Caryl

It depends upon the annotations and who annotated it!

In a guide additional information of most sorts can be very useful.

We have a copy of "Northamptonshire in the Great War" which is somewhat care-worn and annotated in biro and felt pen. For that reason the bookdealer sold it for a very very reasonable price. The annotations were by Cyril Crutchley, veteran of the 4th Northants and MGC and author on the MGC. Even the felt pen is treasured!!!!!

Underground Warfare 194-1918 by Simon Jones. Very good it is too.

Michelle

Watched "Beneath Hill 60" the other day. Great movie.

Currently reading "The Seventh Division 1914 - 1918" by C. T. Atkinson

All the best

Steve