Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

All I can say is I did learn quite a bit so read it yourself and make up your own mind.

Regards, Tommy.

Hi,

Where books are concerned this is without exception the best advice you can give.

I am about to re-read 'The Anatomy of a Raid - Australia at Celtic Wood' by Tony Spagnoly. It must be a dozen years since I read it last but from what I can remember of it, it was a fascinating read.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 1 month later...

Just finished Georges Vanier: Soilder (The War Time Letters and Diaries 1915-1919) By Deborah Cowley it was great.

I also just bought Canada at War A Record of Heroism and Achievement 1914-1918 (first printing) By J. Castell Hopkins, It also contains The Story of Five Cities By The Rev. Robert John Renison, D.D. Chaplin, 4th Canadian Infantry Brigade

Stephen

The Cavalry Journal

Field Marshal Heinrich Rudolf Alexander von Kluck, The March on Paris and the Battle of the Marne 1914, With … and notes by the Historical Section (Military Branch) of the Committee of Imperial Defence, (Edward Arnold, London, 1920)

Major Ralph Legge Pomeroy The Story of a Regiment of Horse: being the regimental history of the 5th Princess Charlotte of Wales (Blackwood & Sons, London, 1924)

Lt Gen Max Von Poseck, The German Cavalry 1914 in Belgium and France, (Mittler, Berlin, 1923).

Frederic Whyte and A. Hilliard Atteridge (eds), H. W. Hall, A History of the Queen’s Bays 1685-1929, (Jonathan Cape, London, 1930)

• 2 weeks later...

Halfway through "Brothers in War" re Beechey sacrifce. Fascinating account and also gives some history about wheat belts in Australia 1912 ish.. Letters home interspersed with the author's description of events unfolding during WW1

Worth a read.

Having detoured into a few byways with the story of the Piltdown Fraud and an excellent account of the Russo-Finnish Winter War, along with the odd bit of fiction, I am now back on the straight and narrow with

"Haig, a reappraisal 70 years on", a collection of essays by critical but generally pro-Haig historians, edited by Brian Bond and Nigel Cave.

Interesting and informative

cheers Martin B

My most recent read was Laurie Magnus' "The West Riding Territorials in the Great War." (first published in 1920, but my copy is from Naval and Military Press.) Not a very long book but it took ages to get through. Still enjoyable, though.

George

Just got the two volumes about WWI by Canadian historian, Tim Cook; At The Sharp End, Volume I and Shock Troops, II. I'll let you know how I find them once I slog through. They're HUGE.

Bonfire

I'm wrapping up a read of 'Farewell the Trumpets' last in the trilogy by James Morris. Probably all standard stuff to a well read Englishman but a revelation to this Yank. It puts the British participation in WW1 nicely into the context of previous and subsequent history. Cheers, Bill

I am reading

"The Detonators" by Chad Millman.

The author's background is sports journalism, and its shows a bit in the style. The book's subtitle is "The Secret Plot to Destroy America and an Epic Hunt for Justice", which I think over-eggs the case a bit.

In fact it's about the work of German agents in 1915-16 who sabotaged American munitions plants to stop war supplies reaching the allies, with specific reference to the blowing up of the Black Tom depot which killed five people and badly damaged a slice of Manhattan, as well as the lengthy and eventually successful post-war efforts to pin it on Germany. I'd have liked more details about the actual incident at Black Tom and the various factories, but it's still quite illuminating.

At least one howler: Millman says the Germans carried out experiments on board "the battleship Friedrich der Grosse, which had been interned in New York Harbor". He obviously means the Norddeutscher Loyd liner of the same name.

cheers Martin B

Jack Sheldons the German Army at Passchendaele

Ospreys Campaign Series "Amiens"

Battles in the East (can't recall the author - but I am not at home so don't have the book in front of me)

Cheers,

Shawn

Alastair Horne's "Fall of Paris", his follow up to Verdun and "The price of glory".

Yes, but a 'prequel' really, dealing with the 1870-71 Franco-Prussian war and the siege of Paris. I agree, a book in the best Horne tradtion.

cheers Martin B

The Last Kaiser - William the Impetuous. by Giles MacDonogh Phoenix Press paperback 2001

I loved this.

General Jack's Diary - edited by John Terraine Cassell paperback 2003

Trench diary of a regular infantry officer who went from Captain to Brigadier

The Great War -Perspectives on the First World War. Edited by Robert Cowley

Picked this up in Canada. Very readable collection of essays from the Quarterly Journal of Military History. I have never seen this journal.

Just started Haig's Diaries, and am impressed by his eloquence on paper. New hardback, found it for £5 in Borders.

I have just launched into the six volume set 'The History of World War 1' comprising the following titles, each with a Forward by Gary Sheffield:

The Western Front 1914-1916

The Western Front 1917-1918

Naval Warfare 1914-1918

Gallipoli & The Middle East 1914-1918

The Eastern Front 1914-1920

Balkans, Italy & Africa 1914-1918

As the title suggests 'The Eastern Front 1914-1920' includes coverage of the Bolshevik Revolution and the campaigns in support of White Russian forces including the CMB raids on Kronstadt lead by Captain Augustus Agar VC which were more fully described in Agar's own account 'Baltic Episode'.

I have not yet found any mention of the naval war on the African lakes in either Naval Warfare or Balkans, Italy & Africa. This is an unfortunate omission in an otherwise, at first sight, comprehensive overview of the events of WW1, one that contains many not commonly reproduced photographs, this is in itself quite refreshing and makes the series worthwhile in spite of some criticisms outlined below.

Unfortunately there is repetition of information, and some illustrations, between volumes and I have also noticed a few errors of fact and a number of interpretations of events now outdated by other recent studies. I think the indication that a British 9.2 inch gun threw a 29lb projectile is a simple typo, for the true figure should be ten times that at 290lb. There are many typos in the editions I have.

Having assisted a modern military historian with his recent research for a new forthcoming book, in the wake of his best-selling previous, I was sent by him an excellent surprise book:

'Mimi and Tou Tou Go Forth: the Bizarre Battle of Lake Tanganyika' by Giles Foden which fills in some of the gaps left by the series mentioned above. If you are interested in this aspect of the war then I can heartily recommend this book. Even if you do not think you are interested you will find it a most entertaining read – trust me.

PS. This is my first post for some time due to a combination of personal and family health issues and computer troubles.

What are you reading (WWI related) and would you recommend it?

Battlefield Guide to Verdun by William Buckingham (good)