Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

I've just finished reading The Trigger: Hunting the Assassin Who Brought the World to War by Tim Butcher. The author, who was a journalist in Yugoslavia during the conflict in the 90's, follows the path of Gavrilo Princip from his home village to Sarajevo. Some interesting material on Princip's early days at school and his political awakening. As an earlier review on this site noted, there is a great deal of commentary on the recent conflict as the author follows Princip. I was surprised by the number of people spoken to who had never heard of Princip. Enjoyable, short and worth a look if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Kevin

Sorry I was writing in the wrong tense. I should have said that I enjoyed reading your review in post 2533 and now want to treat myself to a copy of 'Dead Wake' !

But one question I must ask -Does 'Dead Wake ' deal with the fact that Captain Turner doesn't seem to have ordered 'The Lusitania' to zig-zag' when she was in Irish waters?

He knew that there was a U boat risk.

Regards

That's no problem, and I would support your intention to buy a copy.

Yes, it does deal with the question of zig zagging, but without the book in front of me (it's gone back to the Library!), I can't quote chapter and verse about exactly what it says. However, I think it says that Captain Turner believed that there was no need to zig zag because the advice from the Admiralty wasn't an instruction and the ship was fast enough to out-run any submarine. Also, it seems that one of the advice notes wasn't passed on to the ship in time to make sure that Captain Turner could see it.

The main problem was that the ship turned towards the submarine and not away from it, thus making it a much easier target for the torpedo.

I've just finished reading "Reporting from the Front - War Reporters During The Great War".

It was quite good, but slightly disappointing, as quite a lot of the book is taken up by descriptions of what was happening rather than the work of the reporters themselves. However, it does show how much most of them "toed the party line" and wrote what they were told to write. I suppose that a lot of them didn't have much option in fairness, as they weren't often allowed to go very near to the front line. This meant that they didn't or couldn't see for themselves what was happening.

The book contains quite a few quotes from the reports that appeared in the papers. Quite a lot of them make disturbing reading, especially knowing what we know now about what was actually happening.

I did enjoy it, though, and would recommend it to anyone who wants an overview of the subject.

Thanks . I remember from other reading that Captain Turner thought that he'd passed the danger zone so to speak. 'Room 40 -British Naval Intelligence 1914-1918 ' by Patrick Beesly (1982) has some comments about the information passed to 'The Lusitania' in a chapter titled ' Lusitania. Cock Up or Conspiracy' ' . Will look forward to reading 'Dead Wake' 's take on this.

Regards

That's no problem, and I would support your intention to buy a copy.

Yes, it does deal with the question of zig zagging, but without the book in front of me (it's gone back to the Library!), I can't quote chapter and verse about exactly what it says. However, I think it says that Captain Turner believed that there was no need to zig zag because the advice from the Admiralty wasn't an instruction and the ship was fast enough to out-run any submarine. Also, it seems that one of the advice notes wasn't passed on to the ship in time to make sure that Captain Turner could see it.

The main problem was that the ship turned towards the submarine and not away from it, thus making it a much easier target for the torpedo.

I've just finished reading "Reporting from the Front - War Reporters During The Great War".

It was quite good, but slightly disappointing, as quite a lot of the book is taken up by descriptions of what was happening rather than the work of the reporters themselves. However, it does show how much most of them "toed the party line" and wrote what they were told to write. I suppose that a lot of them didn't have much option in fairness, as they weren't often allowed to go very near to the front line. This meant that they didn't or couldn't see for themselves what was happening.

The book contains quite a few quotes from the reports that appeared in the papers. Quite a lot of them make disturbing reading, especially knowing what we know now about what was actually happening.

I did enjoy it, though, and would recommend it to anyone who wants an overview of the subject.

It sounds like it was an interesting book. There is a thread that has been running recently on war photographs and veered into journalism. Out of curiousity, were the men discussed in the book taking their own photographs or were they reporting only?

Just finished "Gallipoli: The Dardanelles Disaster in Soldiers Words and Photographs" By Richard Van Emden and Stephen Chambers. I very much enjoyed it and recommend it highly! It is a great time to be reading and learning about the Gallipoli campaign and this book is a great piece on the subject. It includes many well spoken storytellers and characters among the soldiers whose words tell the tale. Many great photographs as well!

Now onto another of Richard Van Emden's books "Meeting the Enemy". I have been looking forward to it. Happy reading everyone!

- J

Thanks . I remember from other reading that Captain Turner thought that he'd passed the danger zone so to speak. 'Room 40 -British Naval Intelligence 1914-1918 ' by Patrick Beesly (1982) has some comments about the information passed to 'The Lusitania' in a chapter titled ' Lusitania. Cock Up or Conspiracy' ' . Will look forward to reading 'Dead Wake' 's take on this.

Regards

Yes, I think that this is said in the book as well, although I'm not 100% sure.

It sounds like it was an interesting book. There is a thread that has been running recently on war photographs and veered into journalism. Out of curiousity, were the men discussed in the book taking their own photographs or were they reporting only?

Although most of the book is about the reporters, there are a couple of chapters about the photographers and film makers as well.

These are the people who were commissioned to take photos and make films for newspapers and public release, so much of what they took would have been published.

Struggling through Peter Hart's 'Gallipoli' at present. It's not that it's a bad book, on the contrary - it's that I have to put it down every couple of pages and fume for a while. I find it a common experience with Gallipoli books.

You should give up smoking, it's bad for you.

Although most of the book is about the reporters, there are a couple of chapters about the photographers and film makers as well.

These are the people who were commissioned to take photos and make films for newspapers and public release, so much of what they took would have been published.

Thank you for the extra info. too late for my birthday list but one for another list (without using the word!)

Thank you for the extra info. too late for my birthday list

You'll have another one next year. Mrs Broomfield seems to have a birthday every 12 months. It's probably same for most women. Ruinously expensive business. Wish she wouldn't.

You'll have another one next year. Mrs Broomfield seems to have a birthday every 12 months. It's probably same for most women. Ruinously expensive business. Wish she wouldn't.

:D

Actually, I'm hoping I have a few more of them too! But unlike the other present-giving time of year, birthdays don't depend on whether you've been naughty or nice.

Whilst not exclusively Great War I am chuffed that I finally got round to grabbing myself a copy of "The Remainder Biscuit" the autobiography of Robert L Hartman, the officer of the 11th Hussars behind the charming watercolours and sketches that have graced the museums Facebook page and my GWF avatar.

Really is a cracking read I found the part about his repressive Victorian and Edwardian child hood fascinating and bizarrely amusing. The content about the Great War is an un-glorified account that still reads like the pages of Boys Own and I was most surprised to find out that his biggest source of inspiration, with regards to his artwork was Beatrix Potter!

Brilliant read, at the museum we hold a large amount of his personal documents and a photo-album containing his artwork so it is fascinating to find out more about the man. He later went on to illustrate and write the Mr Buffin series of books.

https://www.librarything.com/series/Buffin+Books

IMAG0342_1.jpg

11951890_1630468487194313_30756429766732

This isnt a place I visit much

"The Serjeant-major - the Biography of RSM Brittain" James Leasor

covers his service from home ww1 onwards so can include it here

Good book, really enjoying reading it and Im not a book fan - in fact I buy them to use more as a reference tool than anything else. That said I do prefer a hard back book to a tablet anyday

New on Gutenberg Books, The history of the 2/6 (Rifle) Battalion "The Kings" Liverpool Regt 1914 - 1919. Written by Capt C.E. Wurtzberg, M.C.

360 pages include photos etc, full nominal rolls of all serving Officers, NCO's and men. Just started reading my copy on Kindle.

John

Not a full blown book but Osprey "British Territorial Units 1914-18" By Ray Westlake. Useful little number after just finishing Kitchner's Army by Peter Simpkins (a big thank you to Martin G for that little gem)

New on Gutenberg Books, The history of the 2/6 (Rifle) Battalion "The Kings" Liverpool Regt 1914 - 1919. Written by Capt C.E. Wurtzberg, M.C.

360 pages include photos etc, full nominal rolls of all serving Officers, NCO's and men. Just started reading my copy on Kindle.

John

Brilliant thanks- just downloaded that for my Sony E-reader.

Whilst not exclusively Great War I am chuffed that I finally got round to grabbing myself a copy of "The Remainder Biscuit" the autobiography of Robert L Hartman, the officer of the 11th Hussars behind the charming watercolours and sketches that have graced the museums Facebook page and my GWF avatar.

Really is a cracking read I found the part about his repressive Victorian and Edwardian child hood fascinating and bizarrely amusing. The content about the Great War is an un-glorified account that still reads like the pages of Boys Own and I was most surprised to find out that his biggest source of inspiration, with regards to his artwork was Beatrix Potter!

Brilliant read, at the museum we hold a large amount of his personal documents and a photo-album containing his artwork so it is fascinating to find out more about the man. He later went on to illustrate and write the Mr Buffin series of books.

https://www.librarything.com/series/Buffin+Books

IMAG0342_1.jpg

11951890_1630468487194313_30756429766732

I think his son/grandson was Tom Hartman, who also served with the 11th Husssars, but as a National Service officer in Malaya during the Emergency. He later became Leo Cooper's (the publisher) right hand man, and did a very good job editing one of my books.

Charles M

hi all,

as you may have read in "skindles" ... I'm not dead, still very much there, just had a very very very very busy few months ... suddenly life takes off and before you know it, you're 4 months later and you've forgotten to mail some people or to keep up with life here on the forum

post-84394-0-81423500-1441887484_thumb.j

not going to list everything I read the last months, there was nothing really standing out... read some stuff for the writing of the Historical Guide to the Yzer (www.vierdaagse.be to download it) - well that included the very good "Magnificent, but not war" by John Dixon, on Second Ypres, which of course was the focus on Ypres-day on the Yzer - and what I needed for my trip to Neuve Chapelle, but right now, I'm finishing John Keegan's "the face of battle". It's been on the shelve for quite dome time but now I finally found the time to read it. The first sentence (half page) hits home like a well aimed "doublette" and the analysis of the three battles is marvelously done.

next up on the list are "Empires of the Dead" and "6 Weeks".

CU,

MM;

I have just finished reading the excellent ' To fight alongside friends , the first world war diaries of Charlie May' , edited by Gerry Harrison and published by William Collins 2014.

It's the wartime diary of twenty eight year old Captain Charles May of the 22nd Manchester Regiment from his time on Salisbury plain in November 1915 till the 1st of July 1916,

when he went over the top with his beloved B Company and was killed by shell fire at Danzig Alley shortly afterwards.

Captain May was a proud and patriotic Englishman, although he had been born in New Zealand, and was a journalist and short story writer and had been married just two

short years when war broke out and was the proud father of baby Pauline who had been born in that fateful year of 1914. His diaries were written up in seven small pocket

books and have been edited by his great -nephew, and unlike a lot of wartime diaries I have read are detailed, interesting and at times very moving , the more so because

the reader knows that as the diary progresses Charlie is nearing the end of his short life and like a lot of other men he had so much to live for.

The book also contains lengthy and interesting footnotes gleaned from fellow officers diaries that contain extra detail of events mentioned by Charlie in his diary, and also

a small biography of those mentioned in the diary at the back of the book, there are also a number of photographs and two maps of the Somme area , one a trench map.

I really enjoyed reading this book, it is a worthy tribute to Captain Charlie May, and it will no doubt become a future classic.

I've just finished reading "Dreadnought - The Ship That Changed the World" by Roger Parkinson.

I know that it's not strictly a First World War book, but it does of course have a great connection with the war. I found it quite interesting, but in some ways it's not the easiest book to read. This is because the author does repeat quite a few things, sometimes several times, as he goes through the story of how the various nations (because it's not just about the Royal Navy) developed their own Dreadnoughts, Super-Dreadnoughts and Battlecruisers.

This repetition is sometimes quite annoying, but I can see why he's done it. He had to deal with all the nations in the context of how they did what they did and when, and some repetition is I suppose inevitable. There's a lot of politics involved, and all the major players (principally "Jacky" Fisher) have quite a lot of pages devoted to them, and their stories are interesting.

The naval battles of the First World war are described in a reasonable amount of detail. However, as the book isn't really about the war as such, the chapters covering the war are probably just enough.

One strange thing is there's virtually no mention of the "career" of HMS Dreadnought itself. The early story of the ship gets a big mention, with descriptions of the design, construction and features of the ship, but after the launch ..... nothing! I would have thought that the "life and times" of the ship would have been given, albeit in possibly not much detail, but it's not. There isn't even a mention of the fate of the ship, which was broken up in 1921.

Still, it's worth reading, but I'm glad that I didn't buy it - my local library did that for me, for which I'm grateful.

Struggling through Peter Hart's 'Gallipoli' at present. It's not that it's a bad book, on the contrary - it's that I have to put it down every couple of pages and fume for a while. I find it a common experience with Gallipoli books.

What do you mean with "struggling"??? it's on the pile, not far from the top... how do I tackle this book???

M.

What do you mean with "struggling"??? it's on the pile, not far from the top... how do I tackle this book???

M.

Well it is a hefty tome, but my struggles have not been physical - and I now have a pdf on my phone, so it now fits in my pocket. It's mainly down to the never ending stream of disasterous decisions detailed; each requiring me to put the book down and cool off.

Since I posted I have had the pleasant experience of the live version of the book (abridged of course) - a lot more physically strenuous, but hugely enjoyable.

I have also come to relise that i was reading a museum piece - spotted in a display case in the little museum at Alcitepe (Krithia)

book.jpg

M.

MM, I had the same feeling that Phil describes. There seem to be more disastrous mistakes at Gallipoli than on other battles and battlefronts, although there many stupid operations there too. I avoided reading anything about Gallipoli for this reason for years. Pete Hart describes the mistakes really well; so well it can makes the reader angry. I think you will find the book an excellent read, and I would be very interested in your views as a proper military person. There are some insights into officer leadership which I think you might find particularly interesting.

Pete.