Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

Sorry, my post about the reissue looked a bit smug, didn't mean to be.

Ah, no, don't worry ... it's just my luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

A Storm in Flanders by Winston Groom

The Pity of War by Niall Ferguson

Three Armies on the Somme by William Philpott

The Origins of the First World War by James Joll

Just finished The Lion and the Rose by Kevin Shannon and I highly recommend it! It is all about the 4th King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment in the Great War and is absolutely a masterpiece of research. I was very impressed and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Next up is Meeting the Enemy by Richard Van Emden!

Edited by Canadian J

England their England. What a tremendous yet overlooked book. (Page 1 of this thread) The story of a village cricket match in the book is hilarious. The book deserves to be more widely known and read.

Just reading another bargain book from The Works, Six Weeks by John Lewis-Stempel, subtitled "The Short And Gallant Life Of The British Officer In The First World War."

Just finished reading K.E Luard's two splendid books ' Diary of a Nursing Sister on the Western Front 1914-15 ' , William Blackwood 1915 and 'Unknown Warriors' , C&W 1930.

Although her first book deals with a period of the war I am most interested in, I found her second book, which deals with her war experiences from 1916-18, of more interest.

This was because her first book is in diary form so therefor less detailed than her second which contains extracts from her letters home, some of which are very moving.

I especially found her letters about her time at Brandhoek during Third Ypres very interesting, and had not realised before how close to the front line some nurses were.

Reading a few Mespot books concurrently with some of Richard Van Emden's books. "The Quick and the Dead" and "Meeting the Enemy"

Ordered several books from ABE, none of which have turned up. One of them. "The Complete McAuslan" I am looking forward to, for light relief!

Hazel

The Schlieffen Plan: International Perspectives on the German Strategy for World War I, edited by Hans Ehlert, Michael Epkenhans, and Gerhard P. Gross. Its a collection of essays by a number of scholars. There are several chapters from participants in the Zuber debates, although Zuber himself declined to participate in the book. Its well worth the read. :thumbsup:

the ibis Do any of the chapters cover aviation reconnaissance in August 1914?

Reading a few Mespot books concurrently with some of Richard Van Emden's books. "The Quick and the Dead" and "Meeting the Enemy"

Ordered several books from ABE, none of which have turned up. One of them. "The Complete McAuslan" I am looking forward to, for light relief!

Hazel

The Van Emden books are top class. Always something to learn with a good prose and style. Nice chap to boot.

The best of his books that I have read is "Boy Soldiers". He certainly looks at a lot of the social and humanitarian aspects of the war that I tend to overlook.

Hazel

The Van Emden books are top class. Always something to learn with a good prose and style. Nice chap to boot.

the ibis Do any of the chapters cover aviation reconnaissance in August 1914?

Hi Joe. There is no devoted chapter and discussion of the subject matter has been sparse at best.

I've had a lengthy break from First World War books, despite plenty of unread books sitting on my shelves. Although a few days back I decided to kick-off my reading on subject again by diving into 'The Kaiser's Battle' by Martin Middlebrook. This will be the third book by him i've read, and is a thoroughly informative and enjoyable read like the other two ('The First Day On The Somme: 1 July 1916' and 'Arnhem 1944: The Airborne Battle')!

Just appeared free on Amazon Kindle, John Morse's "In the Russian Ranks". Englishman caught up in Germany 1914 at the outbreak of war. Escapes into Russia, joins Cossacks, fighting in Poland against the Germans.

Comes with some very very good reviews.

John

I am re-reading Richard Aldington's classic novel 'Death of a Hero.' It is many years since I last read it so it is almost as if I was coming to it afresh. I had forgotten how bitterly and sardonically humorous it is.

Cheers Martin B

My birthday books of Kitchener's Army by Peter Simpkins, British Army capbadges of the First World war by Doyle and Foster and Welsh Militia & Volunteer Corps up to 1908, not strictly great war will help me untangle the thinking behind the Brecknock/Monmouth regiments!

Picked up for a song in a charity shop yesterday 'Chronicles of the Great War- The Western Front', is a large format photo revue, with accounts of all the major battles with maps. Some of the photos are outstanding and new to me, others are the usual familiar shots. Seems like a well written and put together work.

The page covering the first day of the Somme has some hand written annotations, presumably by the original purchaser in 1998:- 'The day my Great Uncle Fred Fensome died. He was awarded the Military Medal, served as stretcher bearer in the RAMC and is buried Nr. Albert (Beartrancourt)'.

Is anyone able to add any more detail relating to his MM?

Mike.

edit to say have just found his RAMC service number 20192.

Picked up for a song in a charity shop yesterday 'Chronicles of the Great War- The Western Front', is a large format photo revue, with accounts of all the major battles with maps. Some of the photos are outstanding and new to me, others are the usual familiar shots. Seems like a well written and put together work.

The page covering the first day of the Somme has some hand written annotations, presumably by the original purchaser in 1998:- 'The day my Great Uncle Fred Fensome died. He was awarded the Military Medal, served as stretcher bearer in the RAMC and is buried Nr. Albert (Beartrancourt)'.

Is anyone able to add any more detail relating to his MM?

Mike.

edit to say have just found his RAMC service number 20192.

Hi Mike! I would try asking for more info on your Great Uncle in the "Soldiers" section of the forum. You may get answers here, but you may get them more timely by sending the question over to that section as well! Best of luck!

- J

Read no further sacrilege coming up. Temporarily fed up with The Great War and am reading and in many cases rereading books on the Second World War. Already decided that my next private trip will be to Normandy.

Len

Read no further sacrilege coming up. Temporarily fed up with The Great War and am reading and in many cases rereading books on the Second World War. Already decided that my next private trip will be to Normandy.

Len

Bin there, done that. Doesn't last!

H.

Bin there, done that. Doesn't last!

H.

I am sure you are right. My regular battlefield companion is already working on me suggesting a trip combining both world wars or even bringing in Waterloo, another growing interest, which of course is not all that far from Mons!

Len

passing a 2nd hand bookshop today and saw a copy of "Ludendorff's Own Story : August 1914-November 1918 Vol 1". Some sort of out of copyright print. Bought for £4.00.

Will be making a start on it this weekend.

Johnny

Hi All

I'm currently reading 'No Thankful Village: The Impact of the Great War on a group of Somerset Villages' by Chris Howell.

Lots of recollections of both the soldiers etc. and those on the home front. A quick search for the book on Amazon will show the great reviews it has had. Highly recommended read for anyone interested in the subject matter.

Just finished 'Fanny goes to War' by Pat Beauchamp , John Murray 1919, I found it a very interesting and entertaining account of her time in the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry,

from just before the war to just after the armistice. I found it hard to know where the locations she mentions in the text were actually situated and had to google some of them

to find out, she also mentions in the text that she transported wounded from Third Ypres, but this was before the Battle of the Somme. She also gives little detail of how she

suffered her severe injuries in 1917, when reading her description of the event I assumed it was by shell fire , but again with the help of google I discovered it was an accident

involving a train ,the book was reprinted in 1940 so maybe that edition has more details. What I found interesting also was the reaction to a severely injured woman by the

people when she was evacuated home, they had been use to dealing with wounded and disabled men but not women, one hotel even said they did not accept invalids.

Overall though I very much enjoyed this book and having no previous knowledge of the author found that the chapter that involved her accident came as quite a shock.

Pat Beauchamp died in 1972.

I'm reading "Dead Wake" by Erik Larson, the story of the last voyage of the Lusitania.

I'll let you know what I think next week when I've finished it.