Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

I am reading Charles Carrington's "Soldier From the Wars Returning". and could swear that I have read his other book "A Subalterns's War". However, I can't find it!! Does anyone know if it is an ebook or should I keep looking for the hard copy. I think, mind you, I have turned the place upside down!

thanks,

Hazel

Hazel

"A Subalterns War" written by Charles Edmonds (pseudonym of Charles Edmond Carrington). Availablle on Amazon books.

John

Thanks John. I just figured out my mistake. I have read "A Subaltern on the SOMME"!!!

Hazel

A Subaltern on the Somme is a Kindle book.A Subaltern's War, isn't

Yes Paul, and that was my confusion. It was "in the cloud"on my Kindle, and that was why I couldn't find it initially, or I would have twigged sooner!

H.

From a National Trust 2nd hand bookshop:- Three books in the battleground Europe series all on Ypres, 'Walking the Salient' by Paul Reed, 'Hill 60' by Nigel Cave, 'Sanctuary Wood & Hooge' also by Nigel Cave. Plus a mint hardback copy of 'The Soldier's War' by Richard Van Emden, total price £6, a fortunate find indeed.

Mike.

I'm reading "Dead Wake" by Erik Larson, the story of the last voyage of the Lusitania.

I'll let you know what I think next week when I've finished it.

Well, I've finished it now, and very good it was.

It looks at both sides of the story, both from a narrow point of view (i.e. the individual stories of both the passengers and the principal protagonists on both sides) and the wider story (i.e. mainly the attempts to get America to declare war, but also the developments during the war).

At times, it almost seems like a soap opera, with details of Woodrow Wilson's love life (he was widowed just before the crisis began and fell in love again during it), and the developing story of several of the passengers. I didn't realise that I have a connection of sorts with one of them, i.e. Margaret Mackworth, later Lady Rhondda; she was a survivor, a suffragette who was later jailed for blowing up a pillar box in Newport! The local connection is that the pillar box is about quarter of a mile from where I live, and a blue plaque has just been erected near it!

Erik Larson looks at the causes of the sinking, and dismisses the theory of the second torpedo completely. He also says that the rifle ammunition stored legitimately in the hold (and on the original manifest) was not the cause of the second explosion. This is because tests that had been done previously had determined that such ammunition did not explode en masse when exposed to fire, which had prompted the US Department of Commerce and Labour to approve the shipping of such cargoes aboard passenger vessels.

He looks at, but does not fully support, the theory that when the torpedo exploded, the concussion shook the ship so much that the nearly empty coal bunkers became clouded with coal dust which then ignited. He thinks that the most likely reason for the second explosion was that one of the main steam lines ruptured which caused what is apparently known as thermal shock.

It's a good read, and I would recommend it.

Dimming of the Day by Simon Sweetman. (Published by ACS Publications.)

I received this a couple of days ago. (It is this year's free book for members of the Association of Cricket Statisticians and Historians - £14 normal price.) It tries to describe the 1914 cricket season in the context of the "drift to war". It does not hold the view that the war brought a dramatic end to a (or even, the) Golden Age. There a number of photographs of 1914 teams, including some schools and clubs as well as the first class counties. (I was surprised to find a Notts CC 1914 team photo which I had not seen before!)

I've only just started reading but I like what I've read so far.

Dimming of the Day by Simon Sweetman. (Published by ACS Publications.)

I received this a couple of days ago. (It is this year's free book for members of the Association of Cricket Statisticians and Historians - £14 normal price.) It tries to describe the 1914 cricket season in the context of the "drift to war". It does not hold the view that the war brought a dramatic end to a (or even, the) Golden Age. There a number of photographs of 1914 teams, including some schools and clubs as well as the first class counties. (I was surprised to find a Notts CC 1914 team photo which I had not seen before!)

I've only just started reading but I like what I've read so far.

This book looks quite interesting - but how big is it, please?

From memory, most of the ACS publications when I was a member (a long time ago!) were more like pamphlets as opposed to full scale books. Having looked at the catalogue, though, it looks like this has changed and they now publish "proper" books - am I right, please?

Thanks.

This book looks quite interesting - but how big is it, please?

From memory, most of the ACS publications when I was a member (a long time ago!) were more like pamphlets as opposed to full scale books. Having looked at the catalogue, though, it looks like this has changed and they now publish "proper" books - am I right, please?

Thanks.

A fair question. 122 pages including title page, contents, foreword, index, etc. + 10 pages of photos (mostly team photos, two per page). A little bigger than the usual ACS publication.

RM

A fair question. 122 pages including title page, contents, foreword, index, etc. + 10 pages of photos (mostly team photos, two per page). A little bigger than the usual ACS publication.

RM

Okay, thanks; I'll see what I can do!

Having come back from a tour of the Somme and having visited the Gommecourt sector , I have just re-read 'Attack ' by Edward Living, he was an Infantry Subaltern

of the 12th London Regt ( The Rangers) and took his platoon over the top at Gommecourt on July 1st 1916. His account of the build up to the battle, the eve of the battle,

the attack itself and, after being wounded, his evacuation is covered in four short chapters. But although the book only consist of Eighty six pages, the author paints a vivid

picture of his experiences, especially the day of the battle itself.

The book was originally published by William Heinemann in 1918 and reprinted by Spa Books in 1986, the reprint also has a list of those Rangers who died on 1st July.

Below is the dust jacket for the original 1918 edition.

post-52745-0-77745300-1439814676_thumb.j

• Admin

Giving The Donkeys by Alan Clark another read. Not read it for some years

Michelle

Not heard of this one -do please post your opinion.

I've been going through my 'Lusitania' books today. 'Wilful Murder' by Diana Preston, 'Lusitania An Irish Tragedy' -Sean Molony, and 'The Lusitania' by Colin Simpson, 'The Lusitania- Unravelling the Mysteries ' -Patrick O'Sullivan.

Diana Preston and Michael Preston have a kindle book ' Act of War- the Sinking of the Lusitania' ,which I also have read.

Interesting to hear if there are any new angles on the sinking .

Regards

Michael Bully

I'm reading "Dead Wake" by Erik Larson, the story of the last voyage of the Lusitania.

I'll let you know what I think next week when I've finished it.

Not heard of this one -do please post your opinion.

Interesting to hear if there are any new angles on the sinking .

Regards

Michael Bully

See my post 2533; I think that's what you want.

Empires Of The Dead by David Crane. Story of Fabien Ware and the creation of the CWGC.

Very good so far.

TT

Thanks , interested to read what you think of 'Dead Wake' by Erik Larson. Very helpful. I want to treat myself to a copy now. Regards Michael Bully

See my post 2533; I think that's what you want.

Thanks , interested to read what you think of 'Dead Wake' by Erik Larson. Very helpful. I want to treat myself to a copy now. Regards Michael Bully

Yes, post 2533 was my review (or were you writing here in the wrong tense?).

Just started 1914 By F.M. French of Ypres - this is a 1919 second edition, picked up for £8.00, at the last Bakewell Book Fair.

Have any read this, any opinions as to its merits?

regards Paul

Almost finished "Scapa Flow" by Malcolm Brown and Patricia Meehan. It is largely anecdotal which I usually don't much like but this is an exception. I had no idea what those men went through, not only when they got to Scapa but also going and coming from down south. Next on the list is "The Great Scuttle". I have been so preoccupied with other things lately that my reading is limited to a few pages before I go to sleep. However, my Kindle is all charged up for my coming sojourn.

Hazel

Sorry I was writing in the wrong tense. I should have said that I enjoyed reading your review in post 2533 and now want to treat myself to a copy of 'Dead Wake' !

But one question I must ask -Does 'Dead Wake ' deal with the fact that Captain Turner doesn't seem to have ordered 'The Lusitania' to zig-zag' when she was in Irish waters?

He knew that there was a U boat risk.

Regards

Yes, post 2533 was my review (or were you writing here in the wrong tense?).

I've just finished 'The Day We Won The War' by Charles Messenger. I thought I knew a bit about the Amiens offensive but having read the book I realise I didn't really understand it at all. Charles' attention to detail is excellent but I still found myself grasping the bigger picture. Among many eye opening moments the short time the offensive was put together in, the role of the armoured cars and the contribution of the French were particularly interesting. Reading the book you can see aspects of the battle which hark back to earlier in the war and others which seem to be more in keeping with WW2. A top read.

Pete.

Just started 'The Sixth Gordons in France and Flanders'. I enjoy reading books such as this one on particular battalions. Especially if I can find a personal diary of one of the men from that particular battalion to compare and contrast. Sometimes, the men can be much less diplomatic in recording their thoughts on a particular occasion, that might be covered in a book by an officer.

Thanks Henry.

I am really pleased you liked the book. I was hoping that someone would report on having read it on the GWF, without having blow my own trumpet. I hope it properly covers this small area of the war. I tried to express the efforts of each nation in an even manner and fill in the details of a few events of late 1914, early 1915 which are sometimes mentioned but seldom with much detail.

Book fact: Until almost the last moment, the book was going to be titled 'Frontschwein', but I was talked out of it by someone more sensible than me.

Hugh

I am just getting to the last few pages of Palingbeek 1915. Superb book and an enjoyable and informative read. Just returned from a third visit to the place. There is work going on behind the mine craters. It looks like a new path is being constructed. Easier access than clambering through stingers and brambles. The photographs explain what the eye cannot see along the canal bank from lock 6 to Gordon's Post. Crouchie

I've just finished 'The Day We Won The War' by Charles Messenger. I thought I knew a bit about the Amiens offensive but having read the book I realise I didn't really understand it at all. Charles' attention to detail is excellent but I still found myself grasping the bigger picture. Among many eye opening moments the short time the offensive was put together in, the role of the armoured cars and the contribution of the French were particularly interesting. Reading the book you can see aspects of the battle which hark back to earlier in the war and others which seem to be more in keeping with WW2. A top read.

Pete.

I really enjoyed that book, although before I started, I wasn't sure that I would because of the detail involved. It was something of an eye opener in terms of it's contribution to ultimate victory.

I have a couple of his WW2 books, purchased subsequent to reading that.

Hazel