Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

Anyone know where I can get hold of a copy 'War is like that'? John Stafford Gowland was my Great Grandfather.

Sorry, I don't know of a copy for sale. It's a rarity I'm afraid to say, the last copy I saw for sale was in 2014 I think , Tom Donovan the military book seller had a copy

in it's superb dust jacket but it was over £300 and sold straight away. I got my copy in 2013, it was a 'buy it now' on e-bay and cost me £90, the last copy I saw before

that was also in a Tom Donovan catalogue in 2004 at the modest price of £45. All I can suggest is to keep an eye on the Tom Donovan web site, put a wants search

for it on e bay and ABE and regularly check Amazon, and good luck !

Anyone know where I can get hold of a copy 'War is like that'? John Stafford Gowland was my Great Grandfather.

I did a quick search on Amazon and Abebooks and didn't find it, although other titles appeared. So I tried a search on OCLC WorldCat to see which libraries it may be in. There seems to be none in the UK and it comes up with the nearest being:

Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer Kulturbesitz, Haus Potsdamer Straße

SBB-PK, Potsdamer Straße

Berlin, 10785 Germany

Best Wishes

Keith

Mine came from the Rota catalogue of 1988 & cost £30 so it seems to turn up every few years.

I did a quick search on Amazon and Abebooks and didn't find it, although other titles appeared. So I tried a search on OCLC WorldCat to see which libraries it may be in. There seems to be none in the UK and it comes up with the nearest being:

Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer Kulturbesitz, Haus Potsdamer Straße

SBB-PK, Potsdamer Straße

Berlin, 10785 Germany

Best Wishes

Keith

If it's any help, it is in the British Library, with the following details:

• Title: War Is Like That. [An account of personal experiences in the European War.]
  • Author: John Stafford GOWLAND
  • Publication Details: London : John Hamilton, [1933]
  • Identifier: System number 001478539
  • Physical Description: 239 p. ; 8º.
  • Shelfmark(s): General Reference Collection 09080.aaa.36.
  • UIN: BLL01001478539

Michael

If it's any help, it is in the British Library, with the following details:

• Title: War Is Like That. [An account of personal experiences in the European War.]
  • Author: John Stafford GOWLAND
  • Publication Details: London : John Hamilton, [1933]
  • Identifier: System number 001478539
  • Physical Description: 239 p. ; 8º.
  • Shelfmark(s): General Reference Collection 09080.aaa.36.
  • UIN: BLL01001478539

Michael

Of course how stupid of me not to realise that! It will also be in all of the other UK and Ireland National Libraries through legal deposit. You should be able to borrow the book through inter-library loan using your local library and least be able to read it until you can buy a copy.

Best wishes

Keith

I believe the imperial War Museum also have a copy , if they haven't sold it :whistle:

Dear fellow collectors never give up hope. Many years ago I sold a copy of a rare little book by name 'PAWNS IN THE RETREAT FROM MONS' by 'A PAWN' About a year ago I enquired of the bookseller to whom I had sold it did he have a record of who had bought it as I would dearly like to have it back. The bad news was that it was so rare the BRITISH LIBRARY had bought it, so there was no chance of trying to buy it back. It was published on the Isle of Wight in 1916 and concerned the adventures of officers of the 1st Btn. Warwickshire regiment during the retreat one of whom was a certain Lt. B. L. Montgomery. Some months ago whilst idly checking my mails I received a 'Found the book you want' notification. No less than two copies of the book were being offered and with palpitating heart discovered that both were still available. As I proceeded to buy both copies It occurred to me that probably no one else was aware that it even existed. One was in nice condition and the other not so but was dedicated to the officers of the Warwicks by the author, 'A PAWN'.

OK if you like WW1 fiction I guess, he even outGraves Graves, or his editor does.

Ken

Mmmmm, I note the date so will let it go…...

• Admin

Mmmmm, I note the date so will let it go…...

Been discussed many times, even has it's own thread

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57278&hl=%20somme%20%20mud&page=1

Why not check out Pte Lynch's service record and compare it to 'his experience of war' as outlined in his novel

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8211396&S=1

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading 'Scots Guard' by Wilfred Ewart , published by Rich & Cowan 1934. The author joined the Scots Guards in early 1914 and sailed to France, as a

junior officer, to join the 2nd battalion in February 1915 .He took part in the Battle of Neuve Chapelle in March 1915 where he was wounded and returned to England

for six months, returning to France in late October and was present during the little talked about Christmas truce of 1915. In 1916 he travelled down to join the 7th (Guards)

Entrenching Battalion on the Somme for a brief spell until he became ill and was recalled to the 2nd S.G at Ypres where he stayed until late July, then the battalion travelled

South to the Somme. Whilst on a Lewis Gun course in September he developed enteritis ( from eating tinned food) and was sent to Hospital in Etaples and later transferred

to England where he stayed until late July 1917. He returned to the 2nd Battalion on August 2nd 1917, later he went to the 5th Army Infantry School on a Company Commanders

course until November 1917. He left the course and after leave in England returned to his Battalion and took part in the Battle of Cambrai where he led an attack and was lucky

not to be killed. He was on leave when the Germans attacked in the Spring of 1918 by which time he had finally been made a Captain, and in June he became Liaison Officer

to a French Corps but again was taken ill, this time with trench fever and returned to his Battalion as acting Transport Officer in August 1918. He again found himself in hospital

after a riding accident and never returned to the front.

I very much liked the authors writing style and enjoyed reading about his war service which was a mixture of diary entries and longer descriptive writing. However I was disappointed

that in a book of 304 pages, only 173 contain his war memoirs. The other 131 pages tell of his travels after the war , which eventually led to his death in Mexico in 1923.

The original first edition is also printed on very good quality thick paper which puts modern flimsy reprints to shame.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished 'Battle Tactics on the Western Front' by Paddy Griffith. At the moment, I'm trying to make it through B. H. Liddell Hart's book 'The Real War.'

Just finished Somme by Peter Hart - I don't know why I haven't read it before. It's really rather good.

Just finished Somme by Peter Hart - I don't know why I haven't read it before. It's really rather good.

I am actually hesitating... I'm preparing my Somme reading list, just to be up to date with event, so to say... I've got the Philpott and of course Middlebrook at home, can have the Farrar Hockley at the library (for what it's worth???) but would like another more recent work and am hesitating between The Somme by either Peter Hart or by Prior & Wilson. I have other works by these authors, and know they're all thorough and real good to read, question just is: WHICH ONE???

Anybody can help me??

M.

Don't knock the Farrar-Hockley; it is a book of its time but still a very useful one and I would strongly recommend it as a well written introductory read.

I have just ordered 'Now it can be told' by Philip Gibbs, 1st edition 1920, I believe, I ordered it based on comments on the forum that recommended it.

khaki

I haven't seen a mention of the earlier book by Philip Gibbs, 'The Battles of the Somme', published in 1917. In it he "put together the articles which I have written day by day for more than three months, since that first day of July 1916".

I expect his subsequent books were based on these articles, and his further information and thoughts, but the articles, written written literally at the time, or on the day after events, give an idea of how the war seemed to someone at the Front. He does not say where the articles were originally published.

The title page says that he was the author of 'The Soul of War', presumably also about WW I.

Michael

I am actually hesitating... I'm preparing my Somme reading list, just to be up to date with event, so to say... I've got the Philpott and of course Middlebrook at home, can have the Farrar Hockley at the library (for what it's worth???) but would like another more recent work and am hesitating between The Somme by either Peter Hart or by Prior & Wilson. I have other works by these authors, and know they're all thorough and real good to read, question just is: WHICH ONE???

Anybody can help me??

M.

Why not read more than one? Hart's Somme can be bought 2nd hand from Amazon for the price of postage.

Philpott is another great book - not as readable as Hart but better in terms of the French involvement and the lead up to the battle. I bon't know the Prior/Wilson book, but I have just started their book on Rawlinson Command on the Western Front. Middlebrook is THE recomendation for day 1, but I also have a couple of books One day on the Somme and 148 Days on the Somme by Barry Cuttell that are brilliant references for who was doing what where and when. Amazon don't have these (available in the shop at Thiepval if that's any help). I also have others on the shelf unread (including Farrar-Hockley, McDonald and the Official History) - one day ...

Of course I can't finish without mentioning Jack Sheldon's The German Army on the Somme 1914-1916 ​for an alternative view of the action.

Marilyne

Richard van Emden's latest 'The Somme' is an excellent recent addition.

If you are interested in anything on specific actions there are of course dozens, but I think you could do a lot worse than go with 'Up to Mametz and beyond' by Llewelyn Wyn Griffith or 'Twelve Days on the Somme' by Sidney Rogerson, both of which are brilliant memoirs evoking the conditions at the start and right at the end of the 1916 battles, respectively.

David

PS read Farrar-Hockley at school and agree with Nigel, 'old fashioned' straight narrative, and all the better for it. My battered old Pan paperback still finds its place on my Somme shelf!

Guys,

thank you so much for your inputs...

Nigel & David, the Farrar-Hockley is ready to be taken of the shelf!!

I've read both Rogerson's diaries... they're very good!!

And Phil, thanks for pointing out the German side!!

I think I'll go for Peter Hart first then, as I'm already familiar with his style.

I'll let you know how it goes...

M.

Currently halfway through 'Haking, a dutiful soldier' by Michael Senior. It's a review of the war career of this much-maligned Corps Commander, who may not be as black as he has been painted.

My supplier in Brighton recently provided me with a copy of The Fire of Life, the memors of Lt Gen George de S Barrow, late Indian Cavalry, who was GSO 1 to the Cavalry Division for a short spell in 1914, then went through various posts until commanding an Indian Cavalry Division in Palestine. I haven't got too far yet, but it reads like a series of reminiscences by Corporal Jones!

post-33278-0-37251800-1463873549_thumb.j

My latest indulgence.

The Troopers Tale. The history of the Otago Mounted Rifles by Don Mackay .... Assisted by Chrisopher Pugsley, Terry Kinloch and Jeff Plowman.

Records the history of the regiment from the 1860s to present day .. fighting in South Africa, Gallipoli and the Western Front.

Another book that I will have to find time to read. I have skimmed through it and it's a mine of information. Hard cover with 382 pages.

I am currently reading Andrew MacDonald's "First Day at the Somme" and enjoying it very much. It is well researched and very readable. A useful modern complement to Mr Middlebrook's classic.

• 3 weeks later...

On a recent visit to the National Memorial Arboretum, I picked up a copy of "Kipling's War" by Rudyard Kipling.

It's a compilation of several series and articles written by him during the First World War following visits to various fronts of the war, together with a chapter from his History of the Irish Guards, which was published in two volumes in 1923. This chapter deals with the first few months of the fighting in France and Belgium in 1914.

The contents are as follows:

Irish Guards: Mons to La Bassee (1914 - the first few months of the fighting in France and Belgium in 1914);

The New Army in Training (1915 - the training of the volunteer army);

France at War (1915 - written after a tour of the French front);

The Fringes of the Fleet (1915); Tales of "The Trade" (1915); Destroyers at Jutland (1916).

These three sets of articles were written for the Admiralty and published in the Daily Telegraph to explain what Britain's Navy was doing.

War in the Mountains (1917 - written following a trip to the Italian Front).

I found some of it quite interesting, although I admit that the French and Italian chapters weren't easy reading, possibly because I admit that I'm not too interested in the subjects.

I wasn't familiar with Kipling as a prose writer, being more familiar with his poetry, but I must say that he does prove to be a very fine writer indeed. It's definitely not his fault that I found some of it hard going! I'd recommend it, though.

This is one of a series of five books entitled "Great Writers on the Great War" from Amberley Press of Stroud. The other four are:

"Revolt in the Desert" by T E Lawrence;

"Conan Doyle's War" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle;

"Buchan's War" by John Buchan;

"Fighting France" by Edith Wharton.

I think that I might keep an eye out for a couple of these .... they look interesting!

Nine Divisions In Champagne.

By Patrick Tackle.

Good book. One of the lesser known aspects of British efforts.

TT