Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

"To the Last Man" Lyn Macdonald.

Purchased cheaply second hand. £3. After quoting a price,the assistant opened the book: She, "were you aware it was signed?"

My reply, "Yes, were you?"

Currently reading David Reynold's "The Long Shadow" --so far it has been excellent. I found I was zipping through it so quickly I deliberately rationed myself to a chapter per evening.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Shadow-Great-Twentieth-Century/dp/0857206370/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465507016&sr=8-2&keywords=the+long+shadow

Just started "a distant drum"

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst on holiday recently in Italy, picked up '1915-1918 The Great War on the Italian Front'.  A very nicely produced large format card cover album published in 2014. This contains several hundred well chosen and reproduced images, with colour maps.  Text and captions are in both Italian and English.  Covers all the theatres of war and battles on the Italian mainland.

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up a second hand copy of Siegfried Sassoon's 'Diaries 1915-1918'. Amazed there doesn't seem to have been an edition published since the early eighties. Terrific read.

David

Ended up with a small pile of books about the siege of Kut. Where to start .... ?

11 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

Just picked up a second hand copy of Siegfried Sassoon's 'Diaries 1915-1918'. Amazed there doesn't seem to have been an edition published since the early eighties. Terrific read.

David

Were you prompted to buy a copy by watching the excellent ' War of words, soldier poets on the Somme' which was repeated recently ? . I only ask because

when it was first shown I sold a copy of 'Nothing of importance' , which I had been trying to sell for ages, shortly afterwards. The same thing happened after

another documentary featured 'From the Somme to the Armistice' by Stormont Gibbs. I should also imagine the sales of Masefield's 'The old front line' increased

after Charles Dance read extracts from it at the Thiepval commemorations.

On 8 July 2016 at 09:01, Black Maria said:

Were you prompted to buy a copy by watching the excellent ' War of words, soldier poets on the Somme' which was repeated recently ? . I only ask because

when it was first shown I sold a copy of 'Nothing of importance' , which I had been trying to sell for ages, shortly afterwards. The same thing happened after

another documentary featured 'From the Somme to the Armistice' by Stormont Gibbs. I should also imagine the sales of Masefield's 'The old front line' increased

after Charles Dance read extracts from it at the Thiepval commemorations.

Yes you are right about what prompted me to get a copy of the diaries. Funnily enough I had a copy of 'Nothing of Importance' in 'the pile' that all we Forumites seem to have and when the programme was first shown back in 2014 I immediately promoted it to the top following Peter Barton's encomium. I was glad I did as it remains probably my favourite memoir. Since then I had read 'Memoirs of a Fox hunting man' but had not realised that the diaries were available. Watching the repeat of the programme nudged me into looking for a copy, which I'm very glad I did.

i have a copy of Stormont Gibbs' book. Do you remember what documentary it was featured in? To be honest it's not a favourite, although it does have the curio of a foreword by Enoch Powell.

i'm sure you are right about the Masefield. I read it years ago and it has an elegiac feel despite being written at the time.

David

1 hour ago, David Ridgus said:

Yes you are right about what prompted me to get a copy of the diaries. Funnily enough I had a copy of 'Nothing of Importance' in 'the pile' that all we Forumites seem to have and when the programme was first shown back in 2014 I immediately promoted it to the top following Peter Barton's encomium. I was glad I did as it remains probably my favourite memoir. Since then I had read 'Memoirs of a Fox hunting man' but had not realised that the diaries were available. Watching the repeat of the programme nudged me into looking for a copy, which I'm very glad I did.

i have a copy of Stormont Gibbs' book. Do you remember what documentary it was featured in? To be honest it's not a favourite, although it does have the curio of a foreword by Enoch Powell.

i'm sure you are right about the Masefield. I read it years ago and it has an elegiac feel despite being written at the time.

David

The Stormont Gibbs book was featured in the Hugh Dennis episode of ' Who do you think you are', I believe Enoch was the youngest Brigadier in the

British army in W.W.2 so I suppose it was a bit of a coup getting him to do the forward for the book . Before the days of the internet when looking through

book catalogues the only copies of the Sassoon Diaries 15-18 that I saw for sale were really expensive and having a quick look on ABE and Amazon although

there are quite a few copies for sale the cheapest is around £30 and then it jumps up to £80 /£90, so like you say it's surprising that it hasn't been reprinted in

the last thirty odd years.

'The Konigsberg Adventure' by E.KEBLE CHATTERTON, with 33 illustrations and maps published in the early 1930's.

Shortly after the Great War began considerable public interest was aroused by the escape and concealment of the German Cruiser Konigsberg but due to censorship it was not possible to gain a clear account of what really happened. This book draws extensively on eye witness accounts and original documents  relating to the hunt for the Konigsberg and its subsequent destruction by the Royal Navy on 11 July 1915 in the Rufiji.  Includes narrative from the German perspective,  with decent bibliography covering books published between 1919 and 1929.

Well worth reading.

Philip

'Make Me a Soldier' by Arthur Behrend, detailing his experiences as a platoon commander with the East Lancs at Gallipoli. A very polished, well written account with some good doses of humour thrown in. Behrend was quite an interesting guy: wrote novels along with his WW1 reminiscences.

31 minutes ago, Main Body said:

'Make Me a Soldier' by Arthur Behrend, detailing his experiences as a platoon commander with the East Lancs at Gallipoli. A very polished, well written account with some good doses of humour thrown in. Behrend was quite an interesting guy: wrote novels along with his WW1 reminiscences.

His other book 'As from Kemmel Hill' is among the best books I've read on the war. Its also worth searching out his earlier self-published account of a heavy battery 'Nine Days'

Is 'Nine Days' substantially different from 'As From Kemmel Hill'? I've got the latter, but not the former.

"THE SIDESHOWS": the last in the series VCs of the First World War, by Gerald Gliddon (1996).

Four VCs were awarded for Africa; two for India (NW Frontier); four for Italy; twenty for Mesopotamia; fourteen for Palestine; and two for Salonika.

Most of the recipients included in my medal collection of officers, took part in so-called Sideshows. Indeed, Major Le Breton, RE, referred to Aden as 'that murkiest of Sideshows'. Yet another officer called his particular theatre of war 'a Sideshow of a Sideshow'. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Just finished 'Rock of the Marne' by Stephen L. Harris, subtitled 'The American Soldiers who Turned the Tide Against the Kaiser in World War I'. Basically it claims that without the US Third Division's defence of the south bank of the Marne in mid-July 1918 the Germans would have won the War. Well maybe, maybe not, but it's a fast-paced description of an action I knew nothing about, albeit written in an American style that grates quite quickly and lacking good maps. Harris has no time for the French, while the British are barely mentioned.

Cheers Martin B

On 11 July 2016 at 09:23, paulgranger said:

Is 'Nine Days' substantially different from 'As From Kemmel Hill'? I've got the latter, but not the former.

Just checked both books & it seems he's taken most of 'Nine Days' & dropped it virtually unchanged into 'As from Kemmel Hill'. It must be 40 years since I read either book so I'll forgive myself for forgetting!

Ah, thanks for checking.

hello

just got a copy of "no thankful village" - apparently a few coldstreamers mentioned - as it was 1p (yes 1p) plus postage thought was worth it :thumbsup:

Hi

The 46 th ( North Midland Division ) Division at Lens in 1917 by Lieut. P.S.C  Campbell-Johnston . After the Vimy Battle of 9 April 1917 by the Canadians , comes the operations in front Lens , At the end of April 1917 ,  Ten weeks of continuous fighting ,with "thin" battalions ,within the the confined limids of the mining city ( fosse 3 of Liévin ,the genarating electric station ) the hill 65 ,la cité du Moulin ,Cité de Riaumont ....All these names are familiar for me ,because I 'm born in this aera ( I 'm french ) ,and my grand mother suffered occupation in 1915/1916  in these mining cottages .

Here is a german picture of my collection : the generating station in 1916 .   

Best regards

Bruno         

Usine electrique liévin 1916.jpg

Just started on John Sheen's With Bayonet's Fixed: The 12th and 13th Battalions of the Durham Light Infantry in the Great War. My usual grumble: no sources indicated... But otherwise it seems to be well-researched (which is why there should be an indication of the sources!) and well-written.

3 hours ago, trajan said:

Just started on John Sheen's With Bayonet's Fixed: The 12th and 13th Battalions of the Durham Light Infantry in the Great War. My usual grumble: no sources indicated... But otherwise it seems to be well-researched (which is why there should be an indication of the sources!) and well-written.

John Sheen is, I believe, Tyneside Chinaman on this Forum, so perhaps you could ask him about sources. And is there really that apostrophe in the title?

Cheers Martin B

3 hours ago, Martin Bennitt said:

John Sheen is, I believe, Tyneside Chinaman on this Forum, so perhaps you could ask him about sources. And is there really that apostrophe in the title?

Cheers Martin B

Thanks Martin! Sheer laziness meant that I downloaded and copied and pasted the title and details from a certain website... No, of course the apostrophe is superfluous... (Sounds of head being banged against wall and wrist being slapped :blush: - why is there no emoticon for these?)

The Life of General Lord Rawlinson of Trent, G.C.B., G.C.V.O., G.C.S.I., K.C.M.G.

Edited by Major-General Sir Frederick Maurice, K.C.M.G., C.B., LL.D. 1928 edition

Surgery on trestles / R. Campbell Begg.

The Mesopotamian campaign after Kut and Ctesiphon, from a medical officer's point of view. Very readable