Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Watson bunker photos 1938

stripeyman

Aurel

The could indeed be mirrored. AshtonPete who is actualy scanning these for me works on the principal of the neg being glossy side up.

However if you are the person on the ground and have photographic evidence then we must go along with that.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Bob Grundy

Hello Bob

Fantastic photo's keep them coming, after reading so many books about the battles it really brings it home to see the groups of bunkers and size of the others

Andy

:rolleyes:

The could indeed be mirrored. AshtonPete who is actualy scanning these for me works on the principal of the neg being glossy side up.

Bob Grundy

Bob,

Yes, I remember that you wrote (in this Topic or a different one) that Pete said that the glossy side of the negative should be up, and that I had some doubts, or better : that I did not know if I understood correctly.

I have just had a look at some B/W negatives of mine, and when looking at them, the glossy side should be towards you. But, I have no experience at all scanning negatives. If this is the same as for normal pics, which on my scanner have to be put on the glass sheet with the picture down, I am inclined to say : maybe the glossy side of negatives should be down ?... But let it be clear : I wouldn't know how to scan negatives.

Does anyone else have experience ?

Aurel

I think the mirrored neg was before Bob and I were told that they should be glossy side up, only since then have I started to scan them all in glossy side up position being advised to do so, hopefully we were advised correctly, or they will all be wrong for the past few weeks :o

Pete,

Thanks. And this makes things clear. For if the Goumier Farm bunker negative as you say was scanned glossy side down (and we now know that this was wrong, compare my photo), then we know that scanning negatives indeed should be with the glossy side up.

Aurel

I know the area where this bunker is or was. I will leave it to the GWF pals to work it out, so over to you.......

Bob Grundy

I know the area where this bunker is or was. I will leave it to the GWF pals to work it out, so over to you.......

Bob Grundy

post-18171-1206486457.jpg

At the risk of adding further confusion, should the glossy side be away from the viewer - which in the case of the scanner will mean glossy side up as it scans from underneath.

Probably has completely misunderstood this - "I'll get me coat".

Great pics though and a most enjoyable thread. I am sure the photographer would be delighted to have his efforts so appreciated by fellow blockhouse afficianados. So wish I could have toured there in the 20's and 30's.

At the risk of adding further confusion, should the glossy side be away from the viewer - which in the case of the scanner will mean glossy side up as it scans from underneath.

Ian,

Yes, it remains confusing to me too. Considering my own B/W negatives, the right way to view them, is with the glossy side towards the viewer. And as scanning (of a normal pic) is from underneath, I am inclined to say : negatives should be scanned with the glossy side down.

But again : I have never scanned (and cannot, with my simple scanner) negatives.

I think the only way to find out is if Pete / Bob scan a negative of a still existing bunker, and say whether the scan was made with glossy side up or down. Then we can judge.

Bob,

No idea where the bunker in the previous posting is or was. Can you give a hint if no one knows the answer soon ?

Aurel

I use a 'Canon Canoscan 8800F' flatbed scanner, you can get info at Canons site HERE

The film scanner is in the lid, so when you insert the old negative in a plastic rack suppied, you have to choose dull or gloss either down or up.

With this scanner comes about 3 or 4 racks for varying sizes of negatives, it is indeed the best scanner I have ever owned, and believe me I have gone through some, and I highly recommend it to anyone thinking of scanning their old negs. If you shop about, they are cheaper than 149 quid.

I think the only way to find out is if Pete / Bob scan a negative of a still existing bunker, and say whether the scan was made with glossy side up or down. Then we can judge.

Yes, I'll do that later :)

On one of Tom Morgan's earlier tour parties, you mean?

:ph34r:

Ken - Tom's earlier tours were "Birdsong" style where he chugged through Thiepval in 1912 , scrounged tea at the Chateau and wondered whether it would be worthwhile just to wait.

Ian

The building in the background reminds me of the two structures with the angel on top at Tyne Cot Cemetery, but I'm not sure.

And even then, that won't help me with regard to the bunker. (If Tyne Cot Cemetery, then the bunker is not Hamburg Farm, and not one of the two (actually three or even four or five) in the cemetery itself either.

Aurel

Hmmm, I'll have to get Bob to drop a negative off that you are all familiar with and I'll do two scans......

Pete & Bob,

The Goumier Farm bunker (posting # 65) would (for me) remove all doubt.

By the way, photo # 59 (Watson family) is correct. The buttons on his jacket are on the correct side. (That is, the "continental" side. For with a nation where drivers use the "wrong" side of the road, you never know ! Maybe they have their buttons on the wrong side too ! :rolleyes:

Aurel

Aurel is correct, you can just make out the Tyne Cot cemetery in the rear, it also said Tyne Cot on the envelope as well.........

However is this bunker still there? I recall the remains of one adjacent to a house at the top right of the cemetery, I photographed it

in the early 1970's but cannot find it (yet).

Bob Grundy

Bob,

I don't know... :-(

All I can say that it is not Hamburg Farm bunker near the cemetery, where a VC was won. (The farmer does not let anybody come nearby, but I saw a photo in a book.)

Forum member Marnik should know. He lives near the cemetery.

Aurel

Bob Grundy

Hello Bob,

This is the correct photo.(post#82)

I live 100 m from where the bunker stood.

The bunker was on the corner of the Tynecotstraat and the Vijfwegenstraat, on the right side of the cemetery.

The pill box was demolished late nineties when the ground was bought by a young couple.

Marnik

Marnick

Thanks for the info.

So the bunker photo is looking south west and Tyne Cot is to the right ?

Bob G

Areal photo of Tyne Cot.

X = the place where the pillbox stood.

Marnik

post-11745-1206680290.jpg

Great pictures indeed, and there is nothing better than sharp original photographs for reproducing such clear images.

And talking of same, the family group in post 59 are likely the correct way around, as Mr W's jacket buttons look to be on the correct side when facing the camera!

Ian

For those concerned. Thankyou for all the info and help regarding the images being right and wrong, with your help I can feel confident at placing the negatives gloss up...