Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Dead Databases

museumtom

WALSH, James Albert, Chicago., Illinois, Corporal, KILLED IN ACTION

What database is this? I had always understood that the USA had no national database of Men Who Died (something to do with the States using their non-Federal powers).

Hi Healdav,

There was a privately published Soldiers Died which gives ranks names and hometowns and how they died (KIA, Wounds, DOD etc.) but it doesn't give units nor dates so it can be a little frustrating to use (it is also very incomplete). There is the ABMC which has an online searchable database of AEF men who are buried in France (name, rank, unit, date of death and place of burial). SOmetimes through cross-referencing you can find the hometown of a casualty on the ABMC or the date and unit of someone in the Soldiers Died.

It's a very imperfect system.

Take care,

Neil

What Neil is trying to say is that the CD he has(and I have also) is a digital copy of Soldiers of the great war) which in the USA version of SDGW with less info but has more on USA Naval stuff also, unless I am mistaken.

Tom.

Neil/Tom:

Thanks guys--that would be him as he was living in Chicago although a Canadian by birth.

Grateful for your help!

Chris

What Neil is trying to say is that the CD he has(and I have also) is a digital copy of Soldiers of the great war) which in the USA version of SDGW with less info but has more on USA Naval stuff also, unless I am mistaken.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

you are correct the naval information is much more extensive than the army.

By the way, how much would you charge to clarify all my posts so people can understand me? :D

Take care,

Neil

Neil/Tom:

If you want to see a photo of Cpl. James Albert Walsh, see my post tonight in "Americans in the CEF" thread in Other category.

Chris

Neil.

As a fellow Lieut Col I could never charge you, ewld chap!!!. I would only charge the lower ranks.

Regards.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Tom:

I know this is vague, but could you be so kind as to check your American database for the surname: Seader (Seador), supposedly a Corporal, possibly in the engineers.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Sorry Chris, None in Soldiers of the Great War and none in the Battle Monuments Commission. I tried other spellings also with no hits.

Tom

Tom:

I know this is vague, but could you be so kind as to check your American database for the surname: Seader (Seador), supposedly a Corporal, possibly in the engineers.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Any chance he's in the 29th? I have their roll of honor and will check when i get home.

Take care,

Neil

Chris,

Nothing on the Roll of Honor but I did find a Pvt. L.W. Seaber Co H 115th infantry 29th Division on the full roster. That's it.

Take care,

Neil

Neil:

I just caught up with this thread. Thanks for your efforts in checking, but as far as I know, Seador? was a corporal in the engineers.

Appreciate the info, though,

Chris

Tom:

Could I call upon your good graces to check for:

Private John Franklin Leiby

KIA 10 October 1918

From Pennsylvania, so may have been 28th Division, AEF

Always with thanks,

Chris

LEIBY, John F., Allentown., PENNISYLVANIA, Private, DIED OF DISEASE.

Thats all I have on him.

Regards.

Tom

Born, enlisted and lived in Stafford,has no know grave but is commemorated;

MOORE, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: North Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 31/07/1917

Service No: 40601

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 55

Cemetery: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Hi, Do you have anything on Lt Col E W Furse 88thb Bde RFA died 19 May 1918?

Thanks

Colin

88th Brigade, 'Killed' ( not kia) from ODGW and the cwgc says;

FURSE, EDMUND WILLIAM

Initials: E W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: 88th Bde.

Date of Death: 19/05/1918

Additional information: Chevalier of the Legion of Honour. Eldest son of Edmund Furse, of Alphington, Frimley; husband of Jessie C. Furse, of 21, Halsey St., Chelsea, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 20.

Cemetery: DORMANS FRENCH NATIONAL CEMETERY

also found this;

LT, 26/09/99,

p3a. Dateline Calcutta, 25 Sept. The Sirdhana left to-day with troops for SA.

Dateline Bombay, 25 Sept. Two squadrons of the 9th Lancers have sailed for SA on the transports Wardha and Nowshera.

Dateline Simla, 25 Sept. The last of the Indian transports, with troops for SA will leave for Durban tomorrow.

p4b. Field Artillery units left Aldershot last night by 4 special trains carrying troops and horses.

The units were for shipment to the Cape. The first to depart was the 18th Field Battery, Maj Scott, commanding. Other officers were: Capt. F.B. Johnstone, Lts. H.E. Carey, A.M. Fox and 2nd Lt. E.W. Furse. The 75th Field Battery departed next, commanded by Maj. W.F.L. Lindsay. Other officers were: Capt. H.J.W. Farrell, Capt. A.R.G. Begbie, Lt. P.J. Patterson and 2nd Lt. Buchanan Dunlop. The last to go was the 62nd Field Battery, under Maj. Garnett. Other officers were: Capt. H.F. Askwith, Lts. L.M. Phillpotts, J.H.W. Johnstone and 2nd Lt. H.E.S. Wynne. The guns and baggage left by two special trains earlier in the day.

The ammunition field column formed under Maj. E.S. May at Aldershot will leave for Natal next Saturday. Strength is 8 officers and 194 men and about 60 ammunition wagons.

The steamers Zibenghla and Zayathla, chartered from the British India Company for the conveyance of troops to SA are at Birkenhead and fitted for service. Each vessel has accommodations for 250 men and nearly as many horses. The troops to embark to-day are the 18th, 62nd and 75th Batteries of Field Artillery and will number 500.

The Admiralty too over the steamers Trogan and Spartan from the Union Steamship Co. to be fitted as hospital ships in SA waters. They are fitting out at Southampton. The ammunition column mentioned above will sail in the Union liner Gaika from Southampton next Saturday.

p8d. The hired transport Avoca left Alexandria yesterday for Cape Town. The hired

transport Jelunga arrived and left Gibralter yesterday for Cape Town.

also;.look here;

http://www.nathanielspens.com/pafg29.htm

also this;

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/heatherasplin/bwsl02.html

also this;

London Times 13/12/01 (Friday)

p3a Dateline Bombay, Dec. 12. The City of Vienna arrived here to-day from Durban with 352 Boer prisoners. 17 cases of measles and one death from pneumonia during the voyage.

p8a The Ranee left for England Dec. 7, with the following on passage home:

“Q” RHA – Maj. G. Humphreys, Lts. E.R. Burne, R.W. St. L. Gethin, E.W. Furse and 86 men

Derby – Capt. G.D. Goodman

1/N. Staffordshire – 2/Lt. J.F. Thomson

Gloucester – Capt. R.M.M. Davy

2/Worcester – Lt. C.E. Borton

ASC – 2/Lt. C.W. Fletcher

1/R. Munster Fus. – Lt. A.C.L. Tyrrell

Civil Surgs. J. Gardner, T.S. Allan

Nursing Sisters J. Paget, M.G.A. Warner

Due Southampton Jan . 5.

He is not in de Ruvigneys roll of honour.

Regards.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tom,

i would be very grateful if you would be kind enough to do a look-up in SDITGW for the following soldier,

M Goldsbrough, Private, 51331, Northumberland fusiliers, 1st Bn, 01/09/18.

Yours,

Peter.

Pte Matthew Goldsbrough, 1st batt Northumberland Fusiliers, Born Stapleton, in Thackley, enlisted in Shipley while living in Stapleton, KIA 1/9/18 in France and Flanders.

regards.

Tom

Hello museumtom,

This is a bit of a long shot. My local records office has sdgw on cd but due to a system upgrade it no longer works. They are now closed until the new year for refurb and expect to be up and running then. I'm trying to locate a couple of men on my local memorial. Frustratingly they only have surname and one initial. I have identified 14 but am struggling with 5. I intended doing a search on sdgw for men born in Winterborne Kingston or living in WK at the time of enlistment.

It is sometimes spelt Winterbourne as well. Would it be too much to ask for you to try fo me? Their names are:-

W. Marsh

G. Steele

C. Vine

B. Walley

C. Miller

I appreciate that it is a long shot without much information but would be grateful for anything that you can come up with.

Thanks in advance,

Ian.