Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Dead Databases

museumtom

Hi Tom,

would you mind looking up the following 3 soldiers in your information?

George H.Ragsdell(or Ragsdale)-Lincs Regiment/Pte/reg no. 19071,served at Fricourt.

Thomas Edward Timms-2/5th Bn Sherwood Forresters/Pte/reg no.43714/possibly died 21/03/18

William Hoe Pacey

Many thanks for any help you can give.

I presume that these were all in the British Army so here we go.....

No Ragsdell in the CWGC or SDGW, Three Ragsdales in SDGW, one George but he was in the West Yoprkshire regt, Number 8671 from Leeds and was KIA, 19/12/14.

RAGSDALE, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: West Yorkshire Regt. (Prince of Wales's Own)

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 19/12/1914

Service No: 8671

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 9 and 10

Cemetery: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

Thomas E Timms, born Sutton Bridge, Linsc, enlisted in Lincoln while living in Holbeach,, KIA 21/3/18.

TIMMS, THOMAS E.

Initials: T E

Regiment: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt.)

Unit Text: 2nd/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/03/1918

Service No: 43714

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 7

Cemetery: ARRAS MEMORIAL

No William Hoey Pacey in SDGW but the is a William Henry Pacey, 2nd batt Northampshire regt 2nd batt, Number 9067,, born in Wootton in Hants and enlisted inBorthampton while living in Wootton, KIA 9/5/15.

PACEY, WILLIAM HENRY

Initials: W H

Regiment: Northamptonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 09/05/1915

Service No: 9067

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 7

Cemetery: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

regards.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Tom:

In your American database, could you please check:

Peter S. Wenger

316th Infantry

Thanks so much (as always),

Chris

Hello Chris.

This windows Xp has my heart scalded. It keeps letting in viruses. I am getting the update package 2 today and hopefull that will sort out the problems. The Trojan horse BackDoor virus wiped my computer again.

Anyway;

There was only one in my database but not a Peter;

WENGER, Irvin, Grand Rapids., MICHIGAN, Private, KILLED IN ACTION

Sorry its not the one you needed.

Tpm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, one and all,

I have access to CWGC & SDGW & ODGW wondering if you had anything extra please (De Ruvignys Roll of Honour etc.) on

Major Herbert W Carson, Royal Army Medical Corps, died 12-10-18, buried Syria.

Captain James A B Carson, Royal Army Medical Corps, attached Royal Air Force, died 09-08-18, buried Cairo

Lt Hugh Henderson Dunwoody, 10th Bn., attached 9th Bn., RIR, died 31-08-16

Lt Arthur Alexander Gault, 11th Bn., Royal Dublin Fusiliers died 10-10-18

Captain John Griffiths, 12thBn., RIR, died 01-07-16

2Lt Chester Bishop Kidd or Kydd, 3rd Bn, attached 7th Bn., Bedfordshire Regiment, died 03-05-17

2Lt Allan John McClellan, 18th Bn., attached 15th Bn, RIR, died 01-07-16

Lt. William McCluggage, 12th Royal Irish Rifles, died 01-07-16

Second Lieutenant (TEMP LT) Samuel Macdonnell CAMPBELL, Lancashire Fusiliers, 13th Battalion., attd. 86th Trench Mortar Bty., died 01-07-16

2/LT (TP) THOMAS JOHN SAVAGE, Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own), (ATT 3rd Battalion), Died 11/10/18.

Lieutenant (T/LT) GEORGE HAY SUTHERLAND, 9th Battalion., Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, died 02/11/1918

Irish Guards, Charles AGNEW , 2nd. Battalion, private, 7890, died 13/09/16

Irish Guards, Andrew NELSON , 2nd. Battalion, private, 8877, died 13/09/16

These men are all connected with the Town of Larne, Co. Antrim and the urban area. Any extra information is welcome. Also any person viewing this I would welcome any information you have for my research on the Fallen from Larne Co. Antrim and the urban area.

I have started to place the information on a temporay website at:-

http://larne-in-ww1.irishgenealogy.net/

greetings from The Netherlands

Liam

Liam requested information on Captain John Griffiths, 12thBn., RIR, died 01-07-16

Graduate of the University of Wales and prior to war was Science Master in the Grammar School, Larne. Was a leading member of the Ulster Volunteers and enlisted in January 1915. He joined the Ulster Division and obtained a commission in the 12th Bn, RIR. He was killed in action while leading his company on the first day of the Somme offensive, 1 Jul 16.

Source: Our Heroes, Mons to the Somme.

His photo:

post-16-1097820292.jpg

I will check them all in Irelands memorial records and De Ruvigneys later today.

Dont expect anything new from Irelands memorial records, I have yet to get anything new from them. They seem to be a compilation from the original SDGW source.

Tom.

Liam asked for information on 2Lt Allan John McClellan, 18th Bn., attached 15th Bn, RIR, died 01-07-16

Son of Mr. James McClellan of Ballyboley, Co. Antrim

Before the war was an assistant master at Larne Grammar School

Initially served as a Sergeant in 16 Bn, RIR

Commissioned and attached to 18 (Reserve) Bn, RIR

Killed in action just after he passed his 21st Birthday

His eldest brother was second in command of a torpedo boat destroyer in the North Sea and his youngest brother was serving with the 196th Western Universities Battalion in Canada.

Source: Our Heroes, Mons to the Somme. Regards. Dick Flory

His photo:

post-16-1097820671.jpg

I am delighted to see others jump in with new database...........................keep 'em coming.

Thanks rflory.

Liam requested info on Second Lieutenant (TEMP LT) Samuel Macdonnell CAMPBELL, Lancashire Fusiliers, 13th Battalion., attd. 86th Trench Mortar Bty., died 01-07-16

Second son of Mr. Robert M. Campbell, Dungiven

Before the war he was a cashier in the Larne Branch of the Northern Banking Company

Served in Egypt and then sent to France.

His two brothers served with the Australian Forces and the North Irish Horse.

Source: Our Heroes, Mons to the Somme. Regards. Dick Flory

His photo:

post-16-1097820877.jpg

Major Herbert W Carson, Royal Army Medical Corps, died 12-10-18, buried Syria.

Educated at Grammar School, Larne; Queen's College, Belfast, and Royal University of Ireland where he earned an MB, B Ch and BAO in 1905.

Lieut, RAMC 29 Jul 07

Captain, RAMC, 1901

Lieut. Col., RAMC, 1917

Served in India and Aug 14 went to Egypt

Appointed Registrar of 15th General Hospital in Cairo

Given command of a Field Ambulance in 1917 and took with the Egyptian Expeditionary Force in Palestine.

Severely wounded at Nebi Samevil on 22 Nov 1917

On recovery volunteered for active service and attached to HQ, Desert Mounted Corps

Died of pneumonia following malaria at the English Hospital, Damascus on 12 Oct 18 and buried in the hospital cemetary.

Twice mentioned in despatches and gazetted with the DSO on 3 Jun 18.

Source: Distinguished Service Order, 1886-1923; DeRuvigny's Roll of Honour, part V. Regards. Dick

His photo:

post-16-1097822617.jpg

James A B Carson, Hugh Henderson Dunwoody, and Chester Bishop Kydd are also in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour but that is museumtom's reference and I will let him report on those.

Lt William McCluggage was educated at the University of Belfast, but I do not have their Roll of Honour.

I will keep looking. Regards. Dick

Liam.

You certainly got your moneys worth outta me this time. Good on ya!!!

Agnew, charles, pte irish guards…7890, Irelands memorial records says born Larne. Not in De Ruvigneys Roll of honour.

Campbell, Samuel McD, 2lt LF, nothing new in Irelands memorial records, Not in De Ruvigneys Roll of honour.

Carson, Herbert W.major…..Irelands memorial records says he was an acting major and was a dso.This next lot is from De Ruvigneys Roll of honour.;

Carson, Herbert William, D.S.O. Lieut.-Col., Royal Army Medical Corps, 2nd s. of Thomas Carson of The Knowe, Larne, co. Antrim, by his wife Mary, dau. Of John McFaulk, of Glenarm, co. Antrim; and brother to Capt. J. A. B. Carson (q.v.): b. Larne, Co. Antrim, 14 July 1882; educated grammar school there, Queens College Belfast and Royal University of Ireland where he graduated, m.b.b.ch and b.a.o. in 1905 and Richmond Hospital, Dublin. Gazetted Lieutenant r.a.m.c. 29th July 1907, promoted Captain in 1910 and Lt. Colonel in 1917. Served in India and on the outbreak of war in August 1914 proceeded to Egypt. Was subsequently appointed registrar of the 15th General Hospital at Cairo. Was given command of a field ambulance early in 1917 and served with the Egyptian expeditionary force in Palestine, where he took part in many engagements, being severely wounded at Nebi Samevil on the 22nd of November following and sent to hospital. On recovery volunteered for active service and was attached to HQ Desert Mounted Corps. And died at the English hospital, Damascus, 12th October, 1918 of Pneumonia, following malignant malaria. Buried in the hospital cemetery. Brother of Sir Rote, comments: “He was held in high esteem by all, with whom he came in contact and his loss was very deeply regretted. He was twice mentioned in dispatches by General Sir E. Allanby, G.C.M.G., K.C.B. and awarded the distinguished service order.” London Gazette, 3rd June, 1918. For gallant and distinguished service in the field, he was a keen sportsman winning many prizes on the track while at college and was a member of the XV. He was an excellent golfer and tennis player.

It also gives his picture,

Carson, James a b. RAMC/raf, Capt, nothing new in Irelands memorial records,

De Ruvigneys Roll of honour says;

James Arthur Carson, Capt. General List, Dentist, Y.S.T. Son of Thomas Carson of the Knowe, Larne, co. Antrim. By his wife Mary, dau. Of John McFaulk, of Glenarm, co. Antrim and brother to Lt. H.W. Carson D.S.O. Born Larne aforesaid 16th October, 1891. Educated Grammar school there. Middlesex hospital London, and the Royal Dental College, Leister Square, London W. Took the L.D.S. of the Royal College of Surgeons, England, in the spring of 1915. Whilst Gazetted Lt. 16th June, 1915, and was promoted captain 16th June, 1916. Proceeded to France 1st of July, 1915 where he served with no. 35 General Hospital as a dental surgeon and with the infantry base depot, Beaumarais, until the 18th June, 1917 when he returned to England and was posted to Margate. In March 1918, he applied for service abroad and was shortly afterwards posted to Alexandria, Egypt, where he was attached to the Royal Air Force in the capacity of Dental Surgeon and died in Alexandria, the 10th August following. From illness contracted while on active service. Buried in the English cemetery there. Capt. Carson was a noted athlete, playing football for Cardiff Rugby Football club during the season 1911-12 and Blackheath Rugby Football club in 1912-13 and also in the Irish trial matches and narrowly missed his cap against France. He was also an excellent cricketer and lawn tennis player.

It also give s his picture

Gauly, Alexander a, rdf LT, Not in Irelands memorial records. Not in De Ruvigneys Roll of honour.

Griffiths, John, rir, Capt.nothing new in Irelands memorial records, Not in De Ruvigneys Roll of honour.

Kidd or Kydd, chester Bishop 2lt, Irelands memorial records KYDD, it says he was born in Coleraine.

From De Ruvigneys Roll of honour.

Kydd, Chester Bishop, 2nd Lt. 7th service batt. Bedfordshire reg. Only son of John George Alexander Kydd of Dunreeva, Colerane. Dental surgeon. By his wife, Jessie. Daughter of De. Mott Bishop. Born Leavenworth, Kansas, U.S.A. 31st May, 1897. Educated Academical Institution, Colerane and Larne Grammar school, where he was studying when war broke out. Was gazetted 2nd Lt. Bedofrdshire Reg. 18th June, 1915. Served with the expeditionary force in France and Flanders from July 1916 and was killed in action at Cherisey, 3rd May 1917. Colonel G.O. Mills wrote: “Your son was a most gallant officer and a great loss to the battalion.” And the chaplain: “I knew your son exceedingly well and I have enjoyed and appreciated his friendship for many months now… but I should like to tell you how greatly beloved your son was by both officers and men in this battalion. He was a splendid fellow and the best tribute I know to his memory was paid by his servant, Gladwish, to whom I refer at the beginning of this letter… he (Gladwish) was with Mr. Kydd, when he was shot through the heart on Thursday. He carried him back for 100 yds and then your son died in the shell hole. Meanwhile, the fortunes of the battle swayed and Gladwish was out in No Mans Land for 72 hrs.” 2nd Lt. S. Morris O’Connor also wrote: “I was only a fortnight with the company before this last action yet I fell as if I had lost a friendship of many years standing. Perhaps I was attracted a little by our common Irish blood but he endeared himself to both officers and men by his never failing cheerfulness. His men are almost inconsolable.”

No picture.

McClellan Allen John rir 2lt, nothing new in Irelands memorial records, Not in De Ruvigneys Roll of honour.

McLuggage William 2lt, rir, not in Irelands memorial records, Not in De Ruvigneys Roll of honour.

Nelson, Andrew, irish guards 8877, Irelands memorial records says born Larne. Not in De Ruvigneys Roll of honour.

Savage Thomas john, 2lt rb, Irelands memorial records says born in Larne. Not in De Ruvigneys Roll of honour.

Sutherland, George hay, lt, inniskillings, nothing new in Irelands memorial records, Not in De Ruvigneys Roll of honour.

Glad to have hits from De Ruvigneys, it does not often pay out but came up trumps this time.

regards.

Tom

Thank you, Dick and Tom,

What a result. It answers questions that I did not ask. It is a pity that there is not such great records for the rank and file,

Again thanks and I will be back if I find any more officers from Larne or Co. Antrim.

greetings from Hoogwoud, The Netherlands,

Liam

Hi again,

Was there nothing on

Lt Hugh Henderson Dunwoody, 10th Bn., attached 9th Bn., RIR, died 31-08-16

Liam

Sorry I missed him, here goes;

Hugh Henderson Dunwoody, 2nd. Lt. 9th service batt. Princess Victoria's Royal Irish Fusiliers. Son of Robert Dunwoody on 92 Hollywood rd. Strand town, Belfast. By his wife Eliza Ann, daughter of the late Samuel Todd of Belfast. Educated Campbell College, Belmont, Belfast and Queen's University, Belfast, where he was a member of the OTC. Obtained a commission, 18th February, 1916. Served with the expeditionary force in France and Flanders. Took part in the operations on the Somme, 1st July, 1916 and was killed in action on the 31st of that month while on listening point duty. Buried in La Plus Houve Farm, near Wulverghem. His Colonel wrote: "Your son had only joined this battalion a short time. He was showing great keenness in his work and had already been out on patrol under instructions and done well and he gave promise of becoming a good officer. My sympathy goes out to you in your sorrow. We laid him to rest in a little cemetary here and his grave will be marked with a plain cross with name and date 'killed in action'" and a brother officer: "He died doing more than his duty."

Nothing new in Irelands memorial records.

Enjoy.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

For all the fine work.

Liam

Hi Guys

Please post your queries here.

Tom Burnell, Resrearch Curator, Thurles Famine and War Museum, Tipperary, Ireland

Hi Tom

I know it's a longshot - i have a silk postcard from Pte L. (Louis) J. Eslworth 252947. It has UK and Belgian flags on it. At the top where one usually places the date or address is: No. 63. Not sure whether this is postcard number 63 or whether it represents a unit/baty.

This guy is not in Medal Index and cannot find him in the 1901 census.

Thanks Tom

Hope your computer is up and running soon.

Robbie

Sorry Elsworth .. fingers going faster than the brain ;)

I had a quick search with his number and then his name without success on SDGW and the NA site. Could this guys be a yank or an Ozzie? I checked Ozzie and canada without a hit. This could mean that the card may not be from ww1.

Tom.

I had a quick search with his number and then his name without success on SDGW and the NA site. Could this guys be a yank or an Ozzie? I checked Ozzie and canada without a hit. This could mean that the card may not be from ww1.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, that was quick. I guess he could be an AUssie. The silk embroidered card certainly looks like others i have seen from WW1. It says "Souvenir de Belgique." a mystery.

RObbie

Hello Tom,

Would you be so kind as to check your American database for:

Corpl. James Albert Walsh

possibly Battery B, 10th Field Artillery

KIA July 24, 1918

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hi Chris,

There is one on the US Soldiers Died CD:

James Albert Walsh Chicago IL KIA

No mention of unit.

The 10th FA was a component of the 3rd FA Brigade 3rd Division AEF.

Take care,

Neil