Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Souveniers taken from the dead in time of war

Beau Geste

Most accounts of the March offensive mention the breakdown in discipline of German troops with episodes of drunkenness and looting. It is referred to in a couple of german accounts as well. I have seen it suggested, but on what evidence is unclear, that the looting was among 2nd line troops coming in as reserves to the storm troopers. These were considered to be much less disciplined. Storm of Steel mentions the bad effect that the British supply dumps had on the morale of the Germans. Education before Verdun is another which mentions the same realisation that the German front line troops were being very badly supplied and this was underlined by the treasure troves the British abandoned in retreat.

Just a Polite Reminder ..KILL THOSE QUOTES...See Chris Bakers Post on the Over Use of quotes and their Effects on the Running of the Forum....Regards Russ.

an Aladdins Cave of Solid Gold and Silver Table Ware,at which point the Hovering German went Ballistic,so to calm Him Down 1 of the Trio shot Him

Lovely story ,

He shot him in self defence I hope !!!!

Harry

The extent to which this factor truly affected the progress of the German advance is no doubt arguable, but numerous accounts mention it. Mick

Thanks Mick,

I did know about the Germans' problems regarding food and other supplies towards the end of WW1. I also knew about them taking a number of very large supply dumps during their advance. It was the point you made about the way it affected their rate of advance that I hadn't come across before. An interesting point. Thank you for posting it.

Harry

Here is a photo of German troops in 1918 merrily looting a French wine train (essential military supplies). No officer is evident One wonders what effect on their ability to advance a few tons of French wine would have.

post-9885-1197224931.jpg

quote 'Beau Geste' post '817095' date Dec 9 2007 05:40 PM

Lovely story ,

He shot him in self defence I hope !!!!

Harry unquote

Haaaaaaaaaaaa "It's the way yi tellem"

quote 'centurion' date'Dec 9 2007, 06:26 PM' post'817112'

Here is a photo of German troops in 1918 merrily looting a French wine train (essential military supplies). No officer is evident One wonders what effect on their ability to advance a few tons of French wine would have.

unquote

Makes you think don't it Officers would probably turn a blind eye to looting the dead

but looting the vin blanc or vin rouge "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat"

"Good gawd man, shoot the blighters on sight"

British Tommy Prior to Robbing a German POW

Yes He was,and i have the Pickelhaube on my Mantlepiece along with the Rest of His Personal Possessions.

Fancy....

Somebodies living next door to this

Pilfering off the dead don't bother him at all ..........

He needs reporting ............. I think

Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgement,thou shalt not respect the person of the poor,nor honour the person of the mighty:but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy Neighbour....

but looting the vin blanc or vin rouge "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat"

The Aussies had beer dumps (I've seen photos). Makes one wonder what the German response to all that amber nectar would have been. XXXX XXXX XXXX etc.

Yes nowt wrong with that kind of looting

Instead of robbin some poor bugga

Makes yi think what type of sneaky bloke would rob the dead

None of my lot ever stooped so low

Even before the war when they had nowt on their feet, nowt on their backs an nowt in their bellies they never stole from those less fortunate than themselves dead or alive

eeeeeeeh how can people stoop so looow

Pass round the vin blanc me bonny lad

The battle of Cedar Creek in the Shenandoah Valley in October 1864 (not far from where I live) is said to have been lost due to Confederate looting after an initial victory. Early in the morning the Southerners under Jubal Early made a surprise attack on the encampment of the army of Phil Sheridan and they routed the Union forces. The Confederates were busy looting the U.S. camp for goodies as the U.S. Cavalry under Gen. George Custer and Colonel Charles Lowell formed a line. Their troopers were armed with the Spencer carbine, a seven-shot repeater, the assault weapon of the day. About that time Gen. Sheridan returned--he'd been away at a conference--and rallied the Union infantry. The counterattack Sheridan put together swept the Confederates from the field. Had the Confederates consolidated their gains instead of losing their unit cohesion and looting the camp it would probably never have happened.

The Aussies had beer dumps (I've seen photos). Makes one wonder what the German response to all that amber nectar would have been. XXXX XXXX XXXX etc.

centution, you seem to forget that the Germans know how to make beer. Had they chanced upon the Australian version, they would have washed their hair with it, unless it was Thomas Cooper's stout, but that was created by a Yorkshireman.

Storm of Steel mentions the bad effect that the British supply dumps had on the morale of the Germans.

I haven't read Storm of Steel but excerpts from it are used by Martin Middlebrook in his book The Kaiser's Battle which confirms, through other sources too, that some German units were greatly distracted by the booty that they happened across during their advance. Middlebrook also relates many tales of ex-British POWs who were captured in the battle. One officer was relieved of his British "warm", field glasses and other items. Personal items like photographs and postcards, and letters were also taken, I had assumed for intelligence purposes, but I may be wrong.

Nor.d...what has happend to Your recent Working Class Diatribe Post that i have just read ?...

Hello Des, (posting #220)

It was, as a number of people have said, a common practice on both sides. A thought has occurred to me though, right through the war efforts were made to find a tactic or a new weapon system that would give one side or the other "an edge". I'm surprised, considering some recent postings on this thread, that supply dumps weren't placed strategically around the battle field so that it would attract the attention of German units in the area and tempt them out of their trenches and deep dugouts . Can you imagine how much easier it would have been for units like the Tyneside battalions, the 2nd Middlesex and 2nd Lincolns attacking La Boiselle and Ovillers if there had been a supply dump somewhere in Mash Valley to divert the defenders' attention!

It would have been like ants on an ant hill !!!!!!!

Harry

I think that what you say here is something I can relate to. Correct me please if I have misunderstood your point of view but you seem to be saying that some people are good and some evil. There are of course others who aren't blessed with the level of humaity shown by a Nelson Mandela or a Pope John Paul but who nevertheless resist any negative or evil temptations and live normal lives. (They form the vast majority of the population. - but this is my idea and wasn't part of what you said). There are also those, fewer in numbers hopefully, who cannot resist the evil vibes that they feel and these are the ones we sometimes talk about as we did in alfamale's recent posting.

I'm not so sure that it is so clear-cut: there was a well-known psychology experiment performed in the 1970s(?) (so well-known that I can't remember the name of the experiment or experimentor at the moment :( ... ) to study how groups of prisoners and guards interacted: two groups of students from similar were involved, one as "prisoners", one as "guards" but crucially the "guards" had absolute power over the prisoners but there was no effective check on them. The experiment was actually stopped after a week or so (rather than the 8+ weeks intended) because the behaviour of many (but not all) of the guards towards the prisoners had descended to such a level that the prisoners were at real risk of psychological damage: that's how brutal it got in a semi-controlled environment with groups of educated volunteers who were not under considerable stress (the guards anyway ...)

I think this is possibly quite important so I'm going to try and google and find the experiment again.

Alfa

It was the Stanford Prison Experiment, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

"Prisoners and guards rapidly adapted to their roles, stepping beyond the boundaries of what had been predicted and leading to dangerous and psychologically damaging situations. One-third of the guards were judged to have exhibited "genuine" sadistic tendencies, while many prisoners were emotionally traumatized and two had to be removed from the experiment early" (from above source)

That's ONE IN THREE supposedly well-adjusted young men NOT under extreme stress showed genuinely sadistic tendencies, whilst very few people amongst the guards, prisoners and the experimentor himself, tried to positively influence what was happening. The experiment lasted 6 days instead of the planned 14 and some of the abuse was very like that in Abu Ghraib.

Some of the conclusions drawn from the experiment have been doubted but it seems to me that if in a VERY short period of time, one in three "guards" descended into sadism that there are a lot of people who are capable of leading quite normal lives until introduced to a situation that allows their darker side to emerge