Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Memories of Flying School"

JohnReid

I don't very often look at the artistic section of the forum. This is because my artisic skills have not progressed further than a three year old. I think your dioramas are abslutely fantastic.It is beyond my comprehension as to how anybody can have the skills that you have. ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK YOU.

JOHN FLOOK

Well thank you John,I am glad that you enjoy my stuff! ;)

That's Billy B. giving the "thumbs up " with Eddie R. on his right,smiling. :D

John - always a pleasure to see your magnificent dioramas! Have you ever considered submitting one for the ASAA exhibition? Couldn't hurt to try.

Russ

Thanks Russ! I have thought about it but the problem is that they are not easily transported.Thanks for your encouragement.

Cheers! John.

• 2 weeks later...

It is here around the engine shop that the majority of the work is left to be done.Then the wiring must be all connected up and a few figures added to the outside. Finally ,I think that we are slowly getting there!

I was worried that the engine shop walls looked too high especially with all those vertical battens emphasizing the height.After leaning up those crates to the wall it seems to bring it all together.

This corner is very important to the success of the overall piece as it gives the viewer some nice sight lines into the workshop and hangar.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about having these two guys sitting on boxes taking a break near the loading area.One guy is actually sitting on an old aircraft seat that I have often seen hanging around out old airports.I think that they kind of fit in with the general relaxed mood of the whole scene.(probably tea time)

The last two figures will be standing out near the back door sneaking a cigarette.

Posing figures.

Although on occasion I will do a major modification on a figure (such as from a standing to a seated position ) mostly l try to work with what I got out of the box.The challenge is to come up with a good idea of how to use them.To create a little scenario that helps to tell the story of the diorama.I seldom use action poses .My purpose is to hold the viewers eye just long enough so that he really doesn't expect any movement from the figures.Long enough for him to suspend his disbelief at what he is looking at and let his imagination get to work.

My goal someday is to have complete control over the process from start to finish .Creating a figure to scale,painting it and have it look like a particular person.

Hello,

I would just like to say that this MODELING at its BEST. The attention to to detail is Mind BLOWING!!! I love the car and the truck towing the plane. I am a fellow model maker,mainly working in 1/24 scale,but sadly my models don't come anywhere near to the high standard of yours. I mainly build trucks and vehicles so was really interested in the cars and truck. Are they 1/12 scale? Are they totaly scratch built or are they kits that you have modified?

Thanks for a GREAT thread and for sharing your modeling with us.

Regards Mark

Hello,

I would just like to say that this MODELING at its BEST. The attention to to detail is Mind BLOWING!!! I love the car and the truck towing the plane. I am a fellow model maker,mainly working in 1/24 scale,but sadly my models don't come anywhere near to the high standard of yours. I mainly build trucks and vehicles so was really interested in the cars and truck. Are they 1/12 scale? Are they totaly scratch built or are they kits that you have modified?

Thanks for a GREAT thread and for sharing your modeling with us.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,thank you for your kind remarks regarding my work.This is 1/16th scale.My motto is buy what you can and build what you must.There is not a lot available in 1/16th so there is a lot of scratching involved.The cars and trucks are both plastic kits and diecasts.Buy everything has been modified by me in one way or the other.

I think that I will stop here for now as too much handling is causing the figures to become too shiny.I will glue this all together as one assembly and then hold on to the wooden boxes to complete the painting.Anyway this gives you an idea of how it will look when finished.

• 2 weeks later...