Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Memories of Flying School"

JohnReid

I was posting this over in the War in the Air section but I decided that it more likely belongs here in the War Art section.

Cheers ! John.

Jennyunpub48.jpg

My original idea was to do a diorama in 1/16th scale based upon the picture that you see here.I have since scaled it down to include just one hangar and its out buildings (modules)I have been working on this project for about 6 years now as a donation to the Canada Aviation Museum in Ottawa Canada. In addition to this diorama there are two others that are also going to the museum to be used as educational tools for their new classrooms, that are presently under construction.The following picture is from my 2nd diorama of a Nieuport 28 in service in France during WW1.

The Memories of Flying School diorama although set in the 20's era is very much WW1 in nature ,as the storyline centers around pilots of the first war and their aircraft.In addition to the barnstormer Jenny, there is a military version being robbed for parts as well as a Camel aircraft being sent off to a university for study in their new aeronautical department.Most of the 15 or so figures are dressed in WW1 uniforms as the storyline is based upon Remembrance Day ceremonies.

The storyline is based upon the idea that Billy Bishop is hosting a few of his fighter pilot buddies at a Southern Ontario airport around 1925.Hope you enjoy it! Cheers! John. :D

The above picture was taken about a month ago.I have since finished the back and R/H side walls.

Most of the construction is done including the outside outbuilding and landscaping modules which will be added as I go along.I am hoping to have it finished my next spring. :)

The last major component!

This will be the last major component of this diorama that is yet to be built.The Ford van pulling the Camel on a trip to the university ,where it is to be used in the teaching of future aeronautical engineers.Many Camels were sent to Canada after the war for this express purpose.The airplanes wings will be folded and attached to the side of the open structure fuselage.The Ford van(yet to be built)will have the control surfaces attached to it and maybe the prop.

The whole thing will be able to be viewed close up, so all of the components will have to be there for detailed inspection.I will also leave the vans hood up to reveal the detailed Ford 4 cylinder engine getting a can of oil before the long road trip.I have the driver taking a "nervous one" in the WC and I may add a seated figure or two.All of this will be contained on its own removable module so I have a lot of options when to build it.Anyway that is the plan for now.

John - I couldn't agree more with your move to this venue! Of course, I've seen and marveled at your incredibly detailed diorama on PF, but I believe the folks here in War Art will really appreciate your gifted craftsmanship. Glad to see you here!

All the best,

Dan

John - I couldn't agree more with your move to this venue! Of course, I've seen and marveled at your incredibly detailed diorama on PF, but I believe the folks here in War Art will really appreciate your gifted craftsmanship. Glad to see you here!

All the best,

Dan

Thanks Dan! yes I think that it is a better fit here in War Art.I will however still post some finished pics over on Air War too.

Cheers! John.

This is a view of the front of the carpenters shop taken though the hangars front doors.The standing pilot figures will be just to the left of this picture.This is about the only relatively empty space left in the diorama.I have 2 options here,leave it as a uncluttered backdrop for the airplanes wing or ............ Any suggestions?

I think that maybe just the Harley showbike is enough, as it makes for a little color and compliments the bunting overhead.It is off to one side from the wing and doesn't interfere with the view.

The garbage pail was made from an old coffee creamer painted a gunmetal color(silver with a bit of black added).I filled it with old oily newspapers and other junk and then used a little subtle pastel colors here and there.

The sitting bench, outside the carpenter's shop, is made of a couple of old ship modeling barrels that I had hanging around and and a wood slab seat.I painted the whole thing Reid & Company blue(French blue) and weathered it with pastels.

I have yet to dirty up the floor a little and shade in the wall/floor area.I hope to have the back wall on permanently this week.

Hang in ,were gettin there slow but sure!

I can only echo that, im lost for words...incredble

Mick

Coke sign.

Today I was playing around making a coke sign.This particular sign was from the 1910 era.It could of been hand painted directly on the siding of placed on thin plywood and then attached with nails.I opted for the 2nd option because my barnsiding is already painted and I didn't want to screw it up.The pic was taken with an incandescent and fluorescent light combo which is the closest I can get to natural light.I figure that after 15 years of rain,wind , sun and snow it would something like this.I will nail it on later and add a few rusty nail heads.

John

Absolutely marvellous work

Glyn

John

Absolutely marvellous work

Glyn

Thanks Glyn! I love what I do and I guess it shows.Cheers! John.