Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Memories of Flying School"

JohnReid

Looking at this picture now,I probably could have got away without using all those aircraft parts on the floor at the bottom R/H corner.Actually they are mostly made up of parts that I never used on the Neiuport aircraft in my 2nd diorama.Gizmology I think it is called!Those rolls of coiled wire hanging down from Jenny's fuselage were originally to be attached to the flying controls but I have since decided they look good as they are besides at this stage of a real aircraft build rigging the controls would be one of the last things to be done.This Jenny depicts an airplane being test fit before breakdown for the final fabric covering.

I see I forgot the little piece of broken rib that should be on the floor next to the wheelbarrow.Believe it or not but a small touch like this will draw a viewers eye every time.Gilding the lily so to speak,much like a painter of portraits will add a small sparkle to the eye.My first experience with this phenomenon was when I accidentally knocked over some nuts and bolts off of a work table that were sitting in the Neiuport diorama .It became the object of so much attention that I just left it like that.

Today I will finally glue down the old Jenny's spare wings to the racks which will pretty much finish off the L/H side wall.

Movin along!

Today was a major milestone in the evolution of this diorama.All the hangar walls are finished and everything is glued down to the hangar floor except for some minor work on the Jenny tie downs and the fighter pilot group.

I think that I will put on the rafters and hook up the lighting and then work on finishing the modules exteriors where necessary.

All the exterior landscaping panels top screws will have to be removed and re-screwed from the bottom and the landscaping can then be finished.The one panel that will serve as the base for the Camel/Ford truck will be finished as a unit and will be installed last.Anyway that is the plan for now.

It has been said that the difference between a "pilot" and an "aviator" is that a pilot is a technician,and an aviator is an artist in love with flight.

JohnReid (Aviator)

John, That work is incredible. The detail second to none. well done. It is superb.

Susan.

Absolutely astonishing work, John. Hard to believe that last shot is a model...

Alan

Ken,Jim and I all started building large scale kits around the same time.I started with the Albatros and Ken and Jim with the Nieuport.Ken went on to build the most magnificent scratchbuilt aircraft that I have ever seen . Jim did a super job of modifying this kit but he is also a great scratchbuilder as well.

If you would like to see more of their work go to:

http://www.wwi-models.org then "Galleries"

Enjoy!

Cheers! John.

Here is a prime example of looking at something so long that you fail to really see it anymore.

I was thinking of permanently fastening the Jenny down to the floor when I thought that I had better check her over one last time.Well look what I found! I had also forgotten the kingpost wiring and the drag wires not to mention the braces under the tail.Needless to say Jenny is now sitting back on the workbench!

Now I remember why I didn't add the drag wires,it was because they would interfere with the pilot group of figures and besides they would probably be one of the last things to be rigged.Same thing with the kingposts,only after the covering.I trimmed and tightened all the wires and made up the wooden tail braces that connect the tailpost to the horiz. stab.Looks like I will have her back in the hangar tomorrow.

She is finally back in the hangar!I put the rafters on but have yet to hook up the lighting.The fighter pilot group will be next to go in permanently and then I can concentrate on the outside.

The Camel research is still an ongoing process .Ken's pics are a great visual help

when coming up with a list of modifications to be made.

After looking carefully at the last two pics I think that I will probably make a major change in this diorama.The Jenny looks so nice taking center stage that I think that I will place the fighter pilot group aft of the wing near the motorcycle.This will help to downplay the "Memories of Flying School "idea and give all the figures a more even level of importance as,"Keepers of the Flame" 1918-1927.After all Jenny's participation in the war effort was just a part of her history here in Canada.It will require taking things apart again but what the hell I am used to that by now.Nothing is written in stone anyway until it is finally finished and that is the way I like it, as that way it keeps the whole thing interesting for me too.Imagine if I had an idea six years ago and felt compelled to see it through unchanged until the end.( boooring)

Especially in the finishing stages, I find that taking lots of pics really helps you to focus on one area that may need changes or additions or in some cases complete removal.

Little things ,like extending the rusty water spot on the rag where the rad is ,onto the hangar floor itself. (yet to be done) Or big things like moving a major figure group.Also the parts on the floor which I thought needed removal as being just too much, can now hardly be seen with the roof on.

The camera also really helps to find little things that need attention, like the inside of the light electrical boxes in the rafters that require painting black.

It has been said that the difference between a "pilot" and an "aviator" is that a pilot is a technician,and an aviator is an artist in love with flight.

JohnReid (Aviator)

I think that I will go with the idea of Billy Bishop greeting his American fighter pilot friends at the door of the office.

Now that I have changed and expanded the idea for the diorama,I feel that this is a better idea.The veteran connection is still there with the sign inside the hangar ,which justifies the pilot group being dressed in uniform for the occasion of Remembrance Day.There is still one RAF fighter pilot type in the hangar talking with the Al Capone group.He probably arrived earlier!

For those who have only recently joined this thread Al Capone is the big guy with the fedora hat.

I find that even the other idea of putting the pilot group directly behind the L/H wing of Jenny, still draws too much attention away from the airplane.

While the story now is centered around the people of the era ,the airplane still ties it all together.

JohnReid (Aviator)

Never know what to expect do you?

Well,this little arrangement should keep me busy for the winter!The horse,old tub and water well and pump should make a nice grouping.Then of course the Camel being towed by the Ford truck(#90) and finally an old airshow jalopy(#93) parked near the engine shop.#90and 93 are diecasts of approximately the same size as the plastic kit models that I have yet to build.

Can't forget the racers!

The story of the era would not be complete without some reference to the Air Racers.I chose to downplay this aspect a little by placing the posters under the lean to,next to the show car, on the side of the hangar ,as I don't want things to get too confusing.It also will serve as another item for the kids to find when playing the game of search the diorama for..........that I will suggest to the museum to make it a little more inter-active.I will also have four animals out and about for them to find.Kids seem to love to play these games!