Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Memories of Flying School"

JohnReid

Upon completion of this "Keepers of the Flame" project I plan to organize this thread into a more comprehensive book -like form ,concentrating upon the order of build ,using both text and pictures in their proper sequence.I will permanently post an album of pics of this diorama under construction.

Because I am limited to a 1,000 pics on my photobucket album, I have had to on occasion delete some of the older pics.Some of you have expressed to me that you find it frustrating searching for something only to find it has been deleted.

I agree!

The new more book-like thread will concentrate more on the build itself rather than the JohnReid philosophy of art and other ramblings.Tips and techniques will be put in its proper section for easier reference.

When I started this thread I had no idea that it would grow to the size that it has ,so for those interested please be patient with the present format for awhile.Cheers! John.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ken! ;)

Photobucket albums

I am organizing all my pictures into different albums.

Hangar dio1-the Albatros

Hangar dio2-the Nieuport

Hangar dio3-the Jenny Canuck

The Jenny will be organized into the proper sequence of the build.

In addition I am creating sub albums for other mayor components such as airplanes,cars,cars, trucks,engines etc.....

Cheers! John.

Over the course of this build I have enjoyed taking pictures of some of the figures and using them to tell little stories that will eventually exist in these pictures only.This figure is destined to go outside with the pilot group.

It is also a lot of fun coming up with your own titles for these pictures such as

"Threshold of a New World" or "Dawn of a New Era" etc......

It looks to me that he is looking out the door trying to imagine what may be over the horizon.

Pictures like these will be found in my new sub-album called "Figures" in my photobucket .

• 3 weeks later...

Movin' on to the OX5 engine being crated ,I think this looks OK.

It has been said that the difference between a "pilot" and an "aviator" is that a pilot is a technician,and an aviator is an artist in love with flight.

JohnReid (Aviator)

Advertising the air races from under the carports roof behind the air show car.I have put different things such as this for the kids to find.There also will be four animals to discover of which the horse Comanche will be the easiest and the cat Chester the hardest.In addition to Harley the dog there will be Hooters the barn owl in the roof rafters.

Making Barn siding , antique flooring or old ramp areas.

These are the steps that I follow when making old barn siding or weathered flooring.

-starting with a doctors tongue depressor which I believe is birchwood,I cut the ends off square.

-now taking the raw wood, paint on two thin coat of acrylic nimbus grey mixed with a bit of raw umber,letting the grain of the underlying wood show through.If the wood warps too much you can use some weights to hold it flat as it dries.

-taking a large needle poke holes in the board in a pattern you require.

-take a HB pencil and twist a little graphite into each hole.

-fill each holes with a small drop of very watery raw umber to swell the wood back level again.

-take an old toothbrush and flick on some of the watery raw umber.

-put a small drop of watery burnt sienna for the rusty nail look.Drag a little of the burnt sienna down the board ,here and there for effect.

-the second picture shows how pastels can be used to soften down the whole thing.

Not the best figure painting in the world but acceptable for diorama purposes.None of these figures will be viewed this close up when in the diorama.I painted these with the use of overhead lighting in mind.

One of my personal goals is to one day paint like the pros and sculpt my own figures but in the meantime this will have to do.My next diorama "The Backyard Flier" will have fewer figures but of better quality.(I hope)

Deleted Pictures in this thread.

Well I think that I have finally solved the deleted pics problem(DUH!)

Originally I thought that I was limited to 1000 pics in my photobucket album(which was never the case)and have been deleting the old pics as I go along.Mistake number one.The limit is on the main album but you can create as many sub-albums as you like.

Then I decided to move all the pics to sub-albums which of course broke all the original picture links.Unfortunately ,this is still the case until I get everything moved into sub-albums which should be soon.All my pics since the beginning will be there in the sub-albums.There they will remain until I croak as I don't intent to move them again.I haven't yet figured out if I can move them around in the sub-albums to put them in proper sequence without breaking the links again,so until I am absolutely sure they will be in a little disarray .

Sorry for the confusion you guys!In the future I plan to organize this thread into a sort of on-line book and at that time I will put the proper text with the pic that it is referring to.

I have finished moving the pics to sub-albums and will attempt to restore some of the later ones to this thread.The names on the sub-albums pretty much explain the contents however the pics within those sub-albums are in no particular order.