Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Memories of Flying School"

JohnReid

A little non-destructive testing.

I inadvertently tested the strength of the glue joints on the R/H side wall yesterday ,with a test known as "letting it drop on the floor".It came through with flying colors with only a few detached parts ,which I re-glued in record time.

The test was of course due to a little unplanned "finger trouble".I removed the screw holding the back and side walls together and over she went.

I then went on to trying to gluing down a garbage pail to the floor and failed after three attempts.

(will have to use epoxy I guess)

Anyway,all this to tell you guys there are days you should just take the hint and go watch TV or something.I did,and I am glad,maybe today the stars will be better aligned .Ever have one of those days?.

Hi Chris!I love detail but it does get a little tedious at times but what the heck I am in no hurry to finish.Thanks.

Cheers! John.

I have been looking for a good way to secure down the heavy diecast that I modified.If it ever came lose it would be a disaster rolling around the hangar.

Being in the corner it was actually quite easy to do and not visible from any angle other than a little through the garage door.I just made a wooden box and fit it under the running board with a screw through the center and down into the plywood floor.I will disguise it as a box that was sort of half pushed under the running board.Problem solved!

Wow !! There are some amazing talents on this forum.

1st Figure Grouping.

Well now that I am finally gluing things to the hangar floor ,it is time to think about the first grouping of figures that have yet to be secured.

This group I called the "Big Al" (Capone) threesome ,I plan to have positioned somewhat as you see here,why? I like the curious cock of the uniformed guys head like he is listening intently to what big Al is saying.(maybe he is making him an offer he can't refuse)also you can see Al's gesturing hand and the barnstormer, who is holding gloves in his hands and has goggles on his head.

I must say that it is one heck of a lot of fun reaching this stage .From here on in things will really come alive! Most of the tedious stuff has been done and now things should come together a little more quickly.Still hoping for a Spring 08 finish!

2nd figure group!

I call this my Jimmy Stewart group.Notice the face in the window!Jimmy is trying to make a little time with Bonnie while Clyde is loading the truck.These figures are now in their permanent position, except Bonnie ,who will have to be glued to the truck and pinned to the floor.The edge of the box can just be seen in this pic.I will have to stick something over the screw head.

Movin on.

This grouping is not yet finished but it gives you an idea of how the figures will relate to one another.Bonnie doesn't look all that interested in what is being said,rather she is looking away at the fighter pilot group.Jimmy seems to be laughing at his own joke ,while Clyde has dropped the wing rib on his foot.Jimmy needs a bath judging by his shirt collar(the camera picks up every little thing)

After I clean up this grouping a bit and finish the truck screw down assembly and the wheel barrow,it will be time to move on to the R/H sidewall.

I found this plan for a Wright Bros 1903 Flier and I couldn't resist putting this little tribute to the Wrights in the diorama.You would have to really search to find it as it is behind the truck and only viewable through the garage door.The 2nd pic would not be normally available once the roof is on.This is part of a game I like to play when kids view this diorama ,now or in the future.It really helps to draw them in when you ask them to find the Flier or the four animals that will ultimately be in there.The horse and dog are easy to spot but the owl and cat (especially the cat) are another story.Kids love these games and I will encourage the museum to do likewise.

New 1/16th figure from Trumpeter Models.(TSM 701) Soviet army tank crewman WW2 but could easily be adapted to a mechanic in coveralls representing just about any era.He is in a nice relaxed casual position .It is my personal opinion that these ,still or relatively still poses ,can be used to great advantage in a diorama.In fact ,all of my figures in this and the other two dioramas do imply some action ,but actually could be held in its position for even a few seconds ,which I think makes them more believable.In other words,the viewer can suspend his disbelief for just a few seconds while viewing the scene.Waiting for the other shoe to drop,so to speak, can in the short term be very powerful in catching the viewers eye ,it can be a little irritating over the long haul.Just think how out of place it would look to have some figure striding across the hangar floor or in mid-flight jumping off a truck.(Just my opinion)

That being said I just gotta get one of these figures!

I had a lot of left over wing ribs ,so I decided to build a couple of broken wing sections to add to the trash and R/H side wall ,to make things a little more interesting.

Seen from this angle, there is no way you can call this the ""Big Al" (Capone) threesome", JohnReid!

The guy wearing the hat is definitely Jack Nicholson... ;)

Taking pics while I can!

Some of these camera angles will be lost to me once the roof is on so I am taking advantage while I can.

The last pic is through the office window shutters that separates it from the carpenters shop.In the foreground you can see the woodcarving tools and a prop being worked on.Through the far window you can see the back of Al's hat.The blue box on the floor under the workbench is where Chester the cat resides.