Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Memories of Flying School"

JohnReid

Left hangar wall.

I am now making up one more broken wing segment to stand against the wall and then that will be enough to pretty much cover that area.

I am thinking of making some old cockpit floorboards and securing down a flight control assembly as I have all the parts available to me.I could set it on the floor near the Jenny basketcase . The assembly would not normally be taken out in one piece but it would make for a nice educational tool.

Pictures!

I am presently deleting a lot of pictures from my photobucket.Eventually it will only contain pictures of the final diorama or whatever I am working on at the time.The only reason that I mention this is for you guys who would like to keep some of them for your own reference purposes.

My long term plans is maybe one day to do a CD for the museum that could be accessed for reference but who knows if I'll ever get around to it.

It has been said that the difference between a "pilot" and an "aviator" is that a pilot is a technician,and an aviator is an artist in love with flight.

JohnReid (Aviator)

Flight controls!

Stick and rudder bars needs no explanation .The bellcrank aft of the rear stick is for the aileron cables, and aft of that you have the elevator control bar which is normally attached to the fuselage sides, the cables are then attached top and bottom.

The stick could be a straight wood dowel or in this case a piece of metal tubing with a bend in it.The floorboards are normally in three pieces,I have chosen to show only the middle board.I have made provision for the rudder cables by drilling holes in the aft rudder bar.Very simple design but quite efficient.This assembly will now probably be placed somewhere beside the basketcase fuselage.

I think that my diorama has outgrown it name."Memories of Flying School "just doesn't cut it anymore.The story has become much bigger than that .The original story of the veterans meeting on Remembrance Day is obvious especially with the sign in the hangar.What is not so obvious is this uniqueness of this era in aviation's history ,the years between 1918 and 1927.

After the war,aviation was basically in a lull.Nobody wanted to be reminded of the war and the great sacrifice made during this period.Airplanes were mostly considered tools of war and dangerous to boot.Very few young people of the time considered it as a profession and those who flew were mostly ex military types scratching out of living as barnstormers or flying the mail.These were a very special breed of men who risked life and limb on a daily basis.The average Joe citizen would laugh at the thought of flying other than as a daredevil kind of thing to do at a county fair.

In a few hearts however there was a vision of the future and by 1927 they knew that if they were to be accepted into the mainstream they would have to accept a few rules and regs.It is to these guys that I have decided to dedicate this diorama as the

"Keepers of the Flame"

"Keepers of the Flame"1918-1927

I know that this new title is even more obscure than the last but I figure that if it raises the curiosity of only one kid in ten about this era ,it will be worth the change.Maybe if I added dates it would be better.

Finishing the old fuse!

Before installing the R/H sidewall it will be necessary to finish the basketcase fuselage.I have removed it for this purpose and must now decide how I want to secure it down to the hangar floor.The main thing going on here is the mechanic is removing the instruments from the panel.In reality the panel probably would have been removed in one piece a long time ago ,but I had I have him doing something and I had a lot of nice 1/16th flight instruments that I thought would be an interesting detail.

To secure the tail I decided to attached it to a old plastic wheel I had hanging around from another build.I painted it metal and weathered it and attached it to the tail post with a chain.

It has been said that the difference between a "pilot" and an "aviator" is that a pilot is a technician,and an aviator is an artist in love with flight.

JohnReid (Aviator)

Given your fabulous eye for detail I have to say that the last picture is a bit of a disappointment, I mean that cardboard cutout plane is just not convincing in the least and whats with the glass jar? That is just completely out of scale and context...you must try harder :rolleyes:

* of course I am only joking *

Given your fabulous eye for detail I have to say that the last picture is a bit of a disappointment, I mean that cardboard cutout plane is just not convincing in the least and whats with the glass jar? That is just completely out of scale and context...you must try harder :rolleyes:

* of course I am only joking *

I think you'll find, Gunboat, that jam jars that size were all the rage back in those days...

However, you're right on the cardboard aeroplane though. This ís a bit of a let-down, JohnReid.

:blink: Joking? What about?

Winter project.

The last major build of this diorama will be the Camel/Ford truck assembly.I am really looking forward to getting back to building airplanes again.The car in the pic is a diecast and used here for reference only.(it eventually will be weathered and parked outside the office).It will be nice to finish this diorama on a high note with a aircraft/truck build.I really want to take my time with this as it will be the best closeup view of any airplane in the composition.I would also like to improve my figure painting to a level that I have seen elsewhere,as my next diorama "The Backyard Flier" will not have the advantage of indoor stage type lighting.The Flier will also require some totally scratchbuilt figures which is an area of this artform that I have yet to explore.I have always much admired the guys who can do small scale figures and actually make them look like some historical figure.It would be a wonderful place to finish up this modeling adventure of mine.

JohnReid (Aviator)

I appreciate the wonderful responses that I get from posting my work.While it is great for my ego,it really isn't my primary reason for doing it .I believe that dioramas that tell a story are really "little works of art" and I think someday they will probably be better recognized for what they really are,3D art..Think of Shep Paine or Ken Hamilton's work, are their dioramas not like little one frame movies?The great thing about good dioramas is that they demand a certain level of involvement of the viewers imagination.The image of a well done diorama will stick in the viewers mind, and in the case of other future artists ,may well have some inspirational value.As artists, in the end that is all we can hope for,to be a part of this never ending flow of creativity.I know in my own case Shep Paines work had enormous influence on me long before I started doing dioramas.I bought his book years before and would pick it up and read it from time to time.

I was very involved with decorative bird carving at the time but those images stuck with me.When I was looking around for something new to do,it finally struck me.Why not combine my lifetime passion of being in and around aircraft with my interest in dioramas as art?

I never met Shep Paine but he had enormous influence on me .When I heard that he was tired and wanting others to run with the diorama ball a bit ,I took up the challenge ,as I am sure many others have done.I am in no way comparing my work to his but it is different and I hope it contributes in some small way to what I believe is a growing form of artistic expression.

JohnReid (Aviator)