Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dead Man's Penny !

Stephen White

Ken, you might consider offering forum members this plaque first - if you want a "reasonable" price.

If you do decide to offer it to the world, I hope you will, at least, give the forum a 'plug' as being the source of whatever your sales pitch will be......

Guest fintasticus
Ken, you might consider offering forum members this plaque first - if you want a "reasonable" price.

If you do decide to offer it to the world, I hope you will, at least, give the forum a 'plug' as being the source of whatever your sales pitch will be......

Hi All,

The plaque has been "offered to the world".....however I have given you guys a great plug and if any of you win the auction....I will be happy to give a 10% discount on the final bid price to any forum "member".

As this is not a commercial site I wont give a link to the auction......it shouldn't be too difficult to find...

Thanks again and regards,

Ken.

Ken, a very gentlemanly act.

I had a bid or two on it myself, but the early bidder appears determined.

Good luck with the sale and my thanks for the generous terms offered to the forum (and the website plug).

I think it only right that forum members should be able to see it on Ebay - item number 2228396753.

Remember though, guys and gals, it's US dollars not Aussie Dollars.

Pete

Gents,

I have enjoyed this thread enormously and thought you might be interested in the following. I have an original Acton plaque postage envelope to a man who was KIA on 13.10.14. Regrettably there is no postage date. Additionally the number on the address label 171715 seems rather high for such an early casualty. I do not have the plaque to hand at the moment so can't give you the batch number.

Regards

Steve

Guest Pete Wood
Hi All,

The plaque has been "offered to the world".....however I have given you guys a great plug and if any of you win the auction....I will be happy to give a 10% discount on the final bid price to any forum "member".

Ken.

Well with an hour to go, Fintasticus has proved that a plaque in Australia will also fetch good money - it's well over £100, with no other documentation. I was easily outbid on this one (nice patina, too) :(

see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ADME:B:DS:UK:29

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Pete,

I think it was more the case of a plaque in Australia to a digger - which gives me an idea........................ ;)

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where the name and address details of the next of kin originated from for posting the plaque and the scroll?

Would these details still be on record somewhere?

regards

Richard

Guest Ian Bowbrick

These details came form the servicemans/servicewomans record. In WO 363 and sometimes 364 you see the form giving next of kin details plus a receipt for ther plaque signed by the same person. A good example of this is the plaque sent to Pte Albert Pykett of the Army Cyclists, whose record you can view in WO 363.

Ian

Ian,

Many thanks for the information.

Regards

Richard

• 4 years later...

I was looking at my uncle Thomas Moore's Dead Man's Penny today and it has the number 33 to the left of the back leg, and the letters of his name are actually raised up. I am under the impression that this is quite rare as he died on the 8th September 1918. I would appreciate your help on this matter.

Thanks

Pauline

David, I would REALLY appreciate your help - especially with regard to Canadian plaques.

Okay, when you check your plaques, look at the number by the bottom of the Lion's back leg.

If the number is between the Lion's legs (Turney is 7) then the plaque 'should' be marked WA (really a W with a bar running through it, so it looks like WA) on the rear of the plaque. This means it was made at Woolwich Arsenal.

If the number is to the left of the back leg, it will have NO markings - which shows it was made at the Memorial Plaque Factory in Acton.

The numbers on the Acton Plaques have not been found above 50.

The numbers on the Woolwich Plaques can reach up to 100.

All plaques for women are numbered 11.

Some people say that certain regiments also share the same number, but I have not seen enough 'firm' proof of this.

The name of the soldier on very late issued plaques, are engraved (not raised letters as shown on the Turney plaque). These all appear to have been made at Woolwich. If anyone knows of an engraved plaque that was made by Acton, make a reverse charge phone call to me now - AND I'll buy you dinner.

I would dearly love to know the earliest and latest received dates that you have records for, please.

I was looking at my uncle Thomas Moore's Dead Man's Penny today and it has the number 33 to the left of the back leg, and the letters of his name are actually raised up. I am under the impression that this is quite rare as he died on the 8th September 1918. I would appreciate your help on this matter.

Thanks

Pauline

Sorry, Pauline, but it looks as if the plaque is exactly as it should be. Nothing rare about it save that the memorial plaque was named uniquely to your uncle although there may be others named to other Thomas Moores.