Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

dick,

did you find any information on CPL Bilston MM as mentioned on my post of the 22nd?

enoch

Hello Dick,

Anything on the below named please.

53134 Sjt. R. Blackmore 157th Siege Bty R.G.A

M.M. L.G. 13.9.18

thanks

Stuart

• 1 month later...

TerryB95 wrote

Hi Dick,

2Lt G.V. Hobson RGA Wounded 16 Jun 1915

2 Lt E.A. Lee Prom Lt wef 9 Jun 15

Sgt R.G. Morrison RGA Prom 2Lt wef 22 Dec 14 Posted wef 24 Dec 14

2Lt McD.Murray Attached to Bty wef 3 Jul 15

2Lt W.R. Nelson RGA Joined Bty wef 8 Jul 15posted Kite Balloon Sect wef 24 Sep 15

Capt R.C.W.A Firebrace Joined Bty wef 21 Aug 15

Sgt W.R. Harwood RGA Prom 2Lt wef 31 Aug 15 Posted to UK wef 7 Sep 15

Sgt V,L, Hill RGA Prom 2Lt wef 31 Aug 15 Posted to UK wef 7 Sep 15

2Lt G.S. Bower Joined unit wef 1 Jan 17

Sgt C.K. Morgan Prom 2Lt wef 3 Feb 17 Posted 149 Siege Bty wef 7 Feb 17

2Lt K.N. Brown

Capt R.W. Trechman Posted England wef 13 Jul 17

2Lt E.W.A. Salmon Joined Bty wef 28 Sep 17

2Lt S.E. Roe Joined Bty wef 27 Dec 17

All from the Bty's War Dairy

Terry: Thanx for the information. Sorry to be so late in replying but I evidentally missed this one when it was posted. Regards. Dick Flory

• 1 month later...

Dick

we corresponded briefy a few months ago - my grandfathers medal role is now on-line and I have downloaded it

Are you familiar with the Regimental Numbering system that is used?

The one I downloaded was for Regiment 685759 - is this the West Lancashire RFA / 55th Division - want to be sure it is correct as some of the information on the card doesn't look right..

The other choice was for regiment 946....

Any ideas?

Mark

Mark: 685759 is the 1st or 2nd Line of the 3rd West Lanc Bde, RFA. The first line eventually became 277 Bde, RFA in the 55th Division and the second line became 287 Bde, RFA in the 57th Division (it was broken up in October 1916).

946___ designates a man who served with the 1st London Brigade Ammunition Column. The first line eventually became the 56th Divisional Ammunition Column and the second line the 58 DAC.

Regards. Dick

Dick

What is the relevance and various references in regard to the British Army service numbers eg 39825

Regards

spider (Glenn)

Spider wrote:

What is the relevance and various references in regard to the British Army service numbers eg 39825

Spider" The number 39825 for the RA is a regular army number and unfortunately one is unable to tell anything about the man or his unit from that number. Only six-digit TF numbers, and a few prefixed numbers, are useful in that respect. Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks Dick, another query answered

Hi Dick,

could you have a look and see what F Bty RHA were up to around the 24.08.1918.

I have a L/Bombadier Edward Towells listed as being killed on that date.

Thanks

George

George wrote:

could you have a look and see what F Bty RHA were up to around the 24.08.1918.

I have a L/Bombadier Edward Towells listed as being killed on that date.

George: Here is what The Story of F Troop, Royal Horse Artillery has for 24 August 1918:

"August 24th. The Battery moved to a position S.W. of St. Leger. This was the most unpleasant position the battery had in the whole of the offensive. The first night we lost one officer (Lieut. Gould) and seven men killed.

A shell dropped into one of the slit trenches and killed three men and wounded Sgt. Alexander. Three men started to take him down on a stretcher to the aid post when another shell got a direct hit on them, killing them all."

I would imagine that L/Bdr Towells was one of those killed. Regards. Dick Flory

• 3 weeks later...
I'm doing research on my great grandfather:

Gunner WILLIAM ROWBOTTOM

16548, "C" Bty. 149th Bde., Royal Field Artillery

died age 27

07 June 1917

Buried in Lyssenthoek Cemetary.

Any information that may be available or help in knowing where to get more details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Stu.

I'm still hunting for details about my relative.

I have a photo postcard that is annotated on the back, it states 58th Brig. I think this is from early training though, It's a picture of 10 men (a gunnery crew?) outside a house and says "home sweet home."

Will scan it in and post as soon as I can find a scanner.. :)

From what I can see, the 149th was a part of the 28th Division, so is there any information out there regarding their movements around the beginning of July 1917?

Thanks,

Stuart.

Mark: 685759 is the 1st or 2nd Line of the 3rd West Lanc Bde, RFA. The first line eventually became 277 Bde, RFA in the 55th Division and the second line became 287 Bde, RFA in the 57th Division (it was broken up in October 1916).

946___ designates a man who served with the 1st London Brigade Ammunition Column. The first line eventually became the 56th Divisional Ammunition Column and the second line the 58 DAC.

Regards. Dick

Dick

again many (belated) thanks - been away for a while....

Sadly the medal role entry added little or no value the only potential is the following under the Roll Column

(TF) RFA/114B (or 1148 the image is unclear)

And under the Page column 2853.

Any ideas how I could try to obtain e.g. the battery number in which he served

Driver John Large, Date of Enlistment: 6/4/1915 Army Number: 685759

Guest drapersj

Hi,

I am not familiar with how the various different sections of the Artillery fit together, but my in-laws have a death plaque for a relative called John Draper (service number 96185), whom the CWGC site lists as being a gunner with the 298th Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery. Does this come under any of your areas of interest? Is so, I wonder if you could tell me anything about what he may have been involved in at the time of his death. He died on 3rd June 1918 and is buried in the Crouy British Cemetery.

Thanks.

Sue

ogdenm wrote:

again many (belated) thanks - been away for a while....

Sadly the medal role entry added little or no value the only potential is the following under the Roll Column

(TF) RFA/114B (or 1148 the image is unclear)

And under the Page column 2853.

"RFA/114B" has nothing to do with the man's battery; rather it is the reference for the medal roll for that medal. Nothing you have listed gives any information concerning your man's battery. Regards. Dick

Sue wrote:

John Draper (service number 96185), whom the CWGC site lists as being a gunner with the 298th Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery.

Sue: 298th Brigade, RFA (formerly 2/4th North Midland Bde, RFA TF) was initially an RFA brigade in the 59th Division, but on 4 April 1917 it was redesignated as 298th Army Brigade, RFA. From 21 April 1918 to 22 June 1918 it was attached to the 5th Australian Division in the ANZAC Corps. The War Diary of 298th Army Brigade, RFA for the period, March 1917 through Feb 1919 can be found in the National Archives at WO95/456. Regards. Dick Flory

• 2 months later...

Hello Dick,

I wonder if you could please help me,I'm looking for info/movements/engagments of C Bty 246 Bde RFA from December 1916 to November 1918.

I know its a very very long shot,but also any mentions of Gnr George Mason(C Bty) will be fantastic.

Many thanks.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Sgt (D) F Warnes 39825 RFA

A number of questions.

Was there any relationship between the No. 2 Depot RFA and the 2nd Brigade RFA?, The 2nd Brigade (6 Division) consisted of 21st, 42nd & 53rd batteries.

In November 1918 both No. 2 Depot and 2A Reserve Brigade RFA (7th, 8th & 9th Batteries) were based at Preston, was there a relationship there.

Both brigades were regular units.

I am working backwards to try and find a link to RFA Brigades and then Batteries.

What is the difference between the 2nd Brigade and 2A Brigade?

All info from ‘History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery’ (all I have to go on) and still trying to find some links regarding my g/fathers service in the RA, discharged from No. 2 Depot in December 1918

Does anyone have any idea how I can find out which Battery my Grandfather would have served in?

Cheers

Mark

Mark wrote:

Does anyone have any idea how I can find out which Battery my Grandfather would have served in?

Mark: It certainly would be a lot easier to do that if we had a name, rank, service number and any other information you might already have. Regards. Dick

Spider wrote:

Was there any relationship between the No. 2 Depot RFA and the 2nd Brigade RFA?, The 2nd Brigade (6 Division) consisted of 21st, 42nd & 53rd batteries.

No. 2 Depot, RFA was a receiving unit for new RA recruits. 2nd Brigade, RFA was a regular field artillery brigade in the RFA. As far as I know there was no connection whatsoever.

In November 1918 both No. 2 Depot and 2A Reserve Brigade RFA (7th, 8th & 9th Batteries) were based at Preston, was there a relationship there.

Both brigades were regular units.

As mentioned above Depots, RFA was a receiving unit for new RA recruits. Reserve brigades RFA were training units and were also a place for assigning invalided officers and men returning from the theaters of war. Many of the reserve brigades RFA were located near RFA Depots.

I am working backwards to try and find a link to RFA Brigades and then Batteries.

What is the difference between the 2nd Brigade and 2A Brigade?

As mentioned above, one, the 2A Reserve Brigade, RFA was a training brigade, the other, 2 Brigade, RFA was a combat unit.

The fact that Sgt Warnes was discharged from No. 2 Depot, RFA and may have served with 2A Reserve Brigade, RFA is not going to be of any assistance in finding out what unit he served with in a theater of war.

Regards. Dick

Thanks Dick, guess it will remain a mystery

Dear Dick,

My grandfather was in the RFA in the 16th Brigade and won the military medal (Gazette 17.9.1917) at Paschendale. His name was Oliver Harold Blackbourn, Gunner, acting Bombadier.

Do you have any specific info (not just gallantry in the face etc) about what the medal was awarded for and about the role of the 16th Brigade in the war and at that time,

best wishes

Oliver Blackbourn

Oliver wrote:

My grandfather was in the RFA in the 16th Brigade and won the military medal (Gazette 17.9.1917) at Paschendale. His name was Oliver Harold Blackbourn, Gunner, acting Bombadier.

Oliver: Something is not quite right here. Can you tell me where you got the information that he served int he 16th Brigade, RFA? The reason I ask is that XVI Brigade, RFA was at Nowshera, India when the war started as part of the 1st (Peshawar) Division and all the information I have indicates that it never left India. It would have therefore been impossible for him to be serving in India and receiving the MM at Paschendale. My guess is that he was serving with 16th Brigade, RFA in India and later transferred to a brigade in France. Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

I just got the medal card from the National Archive Office and it the info on it. I have looked again, it is handwritten and an old card. My gradfather wasn't in India. I think it says 16th By, R.F.A, regiment 41349, so it probably means 16th battery. I thought it said Brg. Sorry.

I never knew my grandfather but he was very interesting, after the war (he lied about his age to join up) he went on to serve in the Palestine Mounted Police and then served in Northern Ireland.