Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

31 days to go

Ozzie

&

Looking from the Australian National Memorial back towards Hamel which the Australians attacked & captured in July 1918

And another one of my Fremantle soldiers at Daours Cemetery, Lt Arthur Loveday.

I'll put some from Turkey up in the next few days

post-43-1188201235.jpg

post-43-1188201303.jpg

Ah guys - what ever happened to that age old pact "What happens on trip - stays on trip!"???? :ph34r:

And besides can anyone really remember what truly happened, and how it really started, and who was really to blame? - or is it going to be another case of 'never let the truth get in the way of a good story'.

Actually - these are quite legitimate questions now I come to think of it............ :wacko: Too many more laughs, wine, amazing sights, tears, raki, exhausting treks & sleepless nights followed............hmmm!

Anyway, remember - I have photos of more than just me - in a dress!!

On a more serious note:

Michelle - I'm really sorry I never got around to laminating any of the soldier's photos I took with me (wish I had) - so Ernie's photo along with the others never got left behind I'm afraid.

A few more photos to follow.

Cheers, Frev

Kim sets the scene in Yorkshire Trench

post-4363-1188189519.jpg

Yes, we musn't forget that Frev has all the incriminating photos :unsure:

That's because the camera was never out of her hand. The one of Tim and friend is a pearler!

Can't wait to see the CD's of all your photos, guys. Mine are sadly lacking, compared to these ones.

Cheers

Kim

Thats because you were too busy scrub rolling Kim :P

Bright Blessings

Sandra

He is missed by a lot of people on this forum and it would be nice if he would come back.

Funnily enough, I've seen threads from a couple of recently joined new members who really reminded me of gumbirsingpun (although they weren't written in tuna's, erm, distinctive style which he reserved for the GWF but wrote in more normal English elsewhere.)

So, perhaps, he's still amongst us - undercover so to speak. ;)

John

John, once you meet him , it all becomes very clear. I do hope he is settling into his new job in Scotland, and not missing Gallipoli too much. I have fond memories of our helpful mate, Tuna.

Sandra, my photos seem to have gravel and bush and trenches and shell holes and flowers and crops and battlefields and cows in them. Very boring for the relatives who ask to see the photos. I never got a photo of a squirrel though! One crossed the road in front of us. He was going flat out, and that was my only sighting of a squirrel. :(

When walking along a drill row of wheat, towards the Mametz woods, I did startle a deer, laying in the crop. Two little ears popped up, then it was in full flight. When I got back to the Welsh Memorial, my fellow travelling companions took great delight in telling me that wild boar are found in the woods

I searched the woods for animals, but only came across tracks, and heard the doves. At Gallipoli, the lack of bird noise stood out, but did see a few hawks.

Cheers

Kim

And here is Tim taking that photo in post no. 126 (with Drew's camera)

post-4363-1188211402.jpg

If you look closely you'll see Kim communing with the cows.

John, once you meet him , it all becomes very clear.

Kim

I'm not really trying to make a point of any sort. IIRC, tuna was asked to stop writing "in an accent" in his Forum posts - he doesnt do this elsewhere. He chose to stop posting rather than comply, I believe.

His decision, of course. And his decision whether to return. But, please, let's not let it get into the Forum culture that he was somehow persecuted away - this place is very welcoming, IMO, towards folk for whom English is not a first language or who do not find it easy to express themselves in written English.

John

Personal memories of France / Flanders.

The smallness of the fields, the short distances between villages, the church spires, and the warmth of the people we met.

The rolling countryside, where high ground was nothing but a rise. The doves at the cemeteries, the mist on a summer morning at Langemark, the water lying in the skeletons of the trenches and saps in the woods.

The coolness and quietness of the woods, the blackberries that formed a carpet, hiding the remains of the shell holes.

The lack of fences, the openness of the vista, the narrow winding roads. Cobblestones and old buildings.

Walls that surrounded green lawns and bright, beautiful flowers, giving life to the cold, white slabs of stone, upon which were written simple words, but words that bought tears. Age 18, age 43, Believed to be buried, and the hardest one, Soldier of the AIF. No name, no rank, no regiment. Unknown.

And where ever you went, and looked out on the fields, stripping away with your imagination, the woods, the crops, the villages, until all you could see was the dark soil, the barbed wire, the refuse of war. The fresh cut hay wafted on the summer air, but your brain told you that it was not like that back then. Back then, the stench of death hung forever in the air, the air that might be laced with cold, or simmering with heat.

You always had in the back of your mind, how many died here, how many suffered? What still lay beneath those fields?

Another cemetery, another display of loss. Irish, Scottish, Maori, Sikh, Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, Manchester, on and on the places that they had come from, to do and die, and for what? That haunted me.

But only they know why, and now they cannot speak.

Large monuments, laced with names, rise up out over the battlefields, inviting you to wander under their arches and be awed by the lists and lists of names. Names that once meant something to those oft forgotten. The wifes, the mothers, the fathers, the sons and daughters.

Do we carry a hidden memory of those that were left behind? Is this our legacy? To be sure that the loss is never forgotten? Battles were won and lost, politics raced on regardless, but the loss of men, and what those men may have achieved if they had been returned to their country, and their loved ones, how do you measure that?

To walk the battlefields, to stand in the cemeteries, is a humbling experience, a reaching into the soul, but in some weird way, a joyful feeling, in that these men, who lay beneath the fields of France / Flanders, having often died in the most inhuman and appalling ways, died for an ideal, or for their mates, or for their country, or simply because they were made to, and it gives you a sense of peace, in that the love of fellow man and country, was strong and dependable, and those who fought and died, and fought and survived, had left behind a legacy, one that gave heart to the soldiers who fought in WW2, and other wars.

But, above all, was the question, why?

These are the thoughts and feelings will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Agreed John. There is always choice, well one would hope so, but not back then, given my previous post.

I do not write like I speak, you would not probably understand me if I did, but some do take pride in their culteral background, and I can sympathise with that.

Let that be the end of it, eh?

Cheers

Kim

Heres another one for you guys - perhaps you'll remember seeing this on the dig. This is the Australian trench cut into the top of Ultimo crater - leading to the Lewis gun position that covered their advance. Finds from here included HP sauce and fruit salt bottles, a sardine tin (fish still in!), the contents of a brazier and a pipe stem...with teeth marks! Danny is the chap digging it.

all things good

Richard

post-1506-1188216846.jpg

Hello Andrew,

Do you have anymore photo's of Shrapnel Valley Cemetery that you are going to put on GWF.

This is where my granduncle is buried. He was Pte Edmund Kiley of !st Light Horse.

Regards

John