Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

31 days to go

Ozzie

Great piccies, Kim. But you now need to identify for us all who the folk are in posts #62 & 70.

I'm glad you met my fellow north westerners, Dave & Mark (even though Mark is an adoptee). Yes, we're all like that up here. :D - warm, friendly cheery folk.

John

Well - it seems that 3 of the fabulous 4 have already got the ball rolling good and proper. I'm a little slow (but then I'm a little older...........!!)

I could say that I've avoided the Forum until now as I was well aware of the frighteningly huge amount of outstanding reading that awaited me - and yep I've tallied up 84 pages of new posts (groan).

But to tell the real truth I was still trying to pretend that I was still living the dream. The dream of travelling with some of the most amazing people I've ever met, and with them visiting areas where my Grandfather & his brothers & friends, walked & fought & suffered, & in some cases still lie.

Once I started downloading my photos - I knew I had to come back to earth - if only to share some of them.

Disappointing as many of them have turned out (new camera - old one went on the fritz 2 weeks before our trip) - I'm slowly accepting that some of the 1500+ are okay.

post-4363-1187854505.jpg

Roll out the green carpet to Morchies Military Cemetery.

• Admin

Thank you for posting the photo Frev, I can now put faces to the names of the 2 who helped me find Ernie.

Michelle

No worries Michelle.

More to follow (if Chris doesn't mind).

Those pictured in Post 70 at Eric's Gallipoli Houses:

Back Row - left to right: Kenan, Abdullah, Tuna, Kim, Andrew, Tim, Eric & Wayne.

Front Row - left to right: Frev, Sigrid, Bill, Jeff & Haluk.

Cheers, Frev

Tim,

I particularly love the poignancy in your photo of the poppy in the field of wheat; the blood red contrasts beautifully with the browns of the crop.

I wonder if the farmer sees the poppy as a nuisance or weed in his crop rather than the symbolism that the rest of us see?

Keep the photos coming team!

Cheers,

Dave

Glad you all had a great trip

Thanks for some stunning photos

Glyn

Post 62 From left to right around the table

Tim - Aumifo

Andrew - Andrew P

Dave - Croonert

Patrick

Mark - Mark Hone

Dave's son

Sabine's son

Sabine.

Frev has already given names for Post 70, but can I add that every one we met added to our experience in so many ways, and our trip would have been so much less with out them.

Cheers

Kim

Thank for the IDs

Post #62 seems a rare shot and should be kept for posterity showing Pals from Australia, Belgium and North West England - and not a beer to be seen. Surely unique.

John

And here's a photo of all who attended our ceremony at The Nek in the wee hours of 7th August.

Back Row: Eric, Abdullah, Tuna, Wayne (in kilt), Frev, Sigrid, Andrew

Front Row: Haluk, Bill, Serpil, Kim, Jeff and Me (who'd only just managed to run into the pic after setting the timer)

Hooge,

Tim L.

post-2918-1187875285.jpg

The following photos are part of the reason I travelled to Gallipoli. I wanted to walk in the footsteps of my Grandfather and when comparing his photos and mine I think I achieved what I set out to do.

Tim L.

post-2918-1187878031.jpg

post-2918-1187878140.jpg

post-2918-1187878224.jpg

post-2918-1187878324.jpg

What a fantastic trip. Thank you for posting your descriptions and photographs.

Tim

An excellent set of photographs. Whereabouts was set 3. taken?

Myrtle

Myrtle, I'll let Tim explain your question.

You may wonder why we are smiling on such a solemn occasion in the photo of the Nek.

Tim spent a great deal of time and trouble setting the camera and its timer for this photo. We were smiling at his sprint over to us after having pushed the button on the camera, then at the long wait for the camera to take the photo.

Well done Tim.

The before and now photos are amazing, again, well done.

Cheers

Kim

Thanks,

Yes I must admit to feeling a bit 'odd' but at the same time it was a very fulfilling moment.

The photos are as follows

1. Looking towards Anzac Cove from North Beach

2. Looking towards Suvla from North Beach

3. 4th Field Ambulance, Walden Point - now known as 7th Field Ambulance Cemetery (even though the 4th was the first to set up a dressing station here and began the cemetery). The grave with the big cross in my Grandfather's photo belongs to a Baronet, Lt Col Sir William Lennox Napier however today his grave is towards the front of the cemetery and states "believed to be buried in...".

4. Looking towards Suvla from half way up the hill at Walden Point.

Interestingly, my Grandfather stated in his diary that his dugout was towards the top right of the hill at Walden Point and when I climbed up I found remnants of countless dugouts and amongst them some shrapnel balls, rum jar pieces and a rusty old fork (thanks to Tuna). Strangely, those simple finds had more meaning than any other discovery I kicked up in the dirt throughout the entire trip.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Tim,

amazing 'then & now' shots, thank you for sharing them and your account of the 'dugouts' and your Grandfather, a really special moment.

Also good to see dear old 'Tuna' in your pictures, not wishing to start a row but i do miss him on the Forum!

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Day Two. Up early, out in the court yard of Varlet Farm with a slight mist hanging about. Simba decided that us Aussies weren't so bad and came to say hello. Charlotte could not believe we were up so early and hurried of to make breakfast.

Breakfast. Our introduction to a European breakkie. Ham, custard, chocolate, cheese, fresh rolls, it was endless. We made up our lunch from this great spread, and journeyed forth.

The corn was checked out by me, to see if any ears were ripe enough, but alas, it was all still to young.

Passchendaele. A place of significance in the AIF's history. The Museum is a credit to those that work at preserving the history and it was great to meet up with Jan. The displays are fanastic and give you so much appreciation of the weapons and tools of war. The church had a beautiful photo exhibition on, and we spent some time there. We were still getting used to the notion of the short distances involved and on reaching Tyne Cot , took our time going through the information centre. The walk down to the entry gate was a revelation, as the vista of the multitude of graves opened up, and I found myself walking slower and slower, trying to take it in.

Frev found Ernie's grave and took a photo for Michelle. After wandering about for a while I had to go and retrieve something from the car. On the way I spotted someone in a shirt saying NZ and said, as is my way, " Good 'ay." The person responded with "You an Aussie? " "Yes," I said, "you wouldn't be with Dianne's party?" "Yes, I am Dianne. " And so we met Kooky, whose party we had missed at the Menin Gate due to an unfortunate happening with in their tour group.

I introduced Kooky to the rest of our group and she very kindly gave me the Poa that hung from her shirt.

We went our separate ways and a short time later, a vaguely familiar sound attracted my attention. On realizing what it was, I mentioned Kiwi singing to our group and took off towards the NZ part of the memorial. We were waved into the group, invited by sign language to be a part of this beautiful occasion. Tingles were going up and down my spine as the Maori song resonated in the small area between the stone walls of the NZ memorial. Then then they spoke the prayer for the dead. It brought tears, it was so very moving.

A British guy was to the side, in tears, and he said to one of our group, that the song had made his trip worth while.

Polygon Wood was where I discovered my love of the woods. It was also where I lost the plot again. I had gone over to the far wall, looking at what seemed to be trenches in the wood, I walked backwards ( for some unknown reason), towards the centre of the cemetery, and as I did so, I saw that every row that came into my vision, was Unknown soldier gravestones, row after row. It hit me hard and took me a while to get over it, so I hopped the wall and went into the woods. Here I saw the skeletons of the trenches and saps, water pooled in them. The coolness and and quietness calmed me down and I went back to get the others, to then explore the woods. From this time on the others joked about my woods, trenches and shell holes. It seemed to be my thing for the rest of trip. It was also here that the doves became a part of my trip. It had started at Bapaume, I didn't not think much of it at that time but it continued. It seemed whatever cemetery I went into I heard doves calling. At one time I thought I was imagining it and asked the others could they hear it; they confirmed that the dove was there, much to my relief.

Hooge was extraordinary and it made one feel so small. I was very glad to see someone had left a wreath to remember the horses, someone out there at least appreciates what the animals did in the Great War. Again in tears.

As we headed back to Varlet Farm, it still hadn't sunk in as to the flatness of the battlefields, the high ground being merely a slight rise. So costly was the effort to take that or any slight rise. As we went through villages and drove along the small country lanes, an inkling of the difficulties of the war started to creep in.

Back at Charlotte's for a quick clean up, and call the taxi, and off into Ypres again, this time with Frev in tow.

A more subdued ceremony that night but still very haunting and beautiful.

Made it to the book shop just as they were closing, and they very kindly stayed open long enough for us to have a look. Drinks bought by Patrick and Sabine, then having dinner finished off our Belgium stay nicely.

Many thanks to Sabine and Patrick for your hospitality and kindness. We look forward to returning the favour when you get to Oz.