Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

31 days to go

Ozzie

TT, I think that cemetary is on the list of musts! Shall do.

Thanks Tom, don't care what Mother Nature sends down, at least we will be there. Raining and 2 degrees here anyway. Snowing up top.

Mark, we will be looking for a History teacher with two women, and Dave, excellent!!! Hope you know a good place to go eat afterwards.

Dave, our itinery is very tight, so much to see, in so little time. But one day, We will get to Gt Britain, (Won't we Frev?)!

Nige, have a look in meetups, Aussie Pals in Tintaldra Victoria, 27th / 28th Oct, 07.

Cheers

Kim

So, if you are in the area, and happen to see two women and two men, who seem foriegn, (read colonial) and hear a strange twist of the English accent, (it will be me probably, loud and very Aussie,) see some GWF badges ( designed by one of the touring party, Tim, ) then don't be shy, say Good day!

You won't seem foreign to me so I'll just look for the GWF badges. :D It will be hard to miss our group we'll probably look more like a Maori concert party. I'll be the one with a GWF badge.

Looking forward to meeting you all on the 31st.

Cheers, Diane

Hey TT, is the Sevestre bloke at Flatiron Copse one of 3 Aussies front, far left? I was there a couple of weeks ago, and that was as far as our cars could get us (going up to Mametz Wood). Lovely cemetery. But absolutely hurling it down. Never seen summer rain on the Somme like that. Thhank goodness for the trusty Driz-a-Bone. Ozzie, you'll love your trip. I come from Perth but live in Paris. Up on the battlefields often. By the time you get there, it should be hot and dry. Take a pair of stout boots mate. The hikes around Pozières and Le Hamel are fabulous.

Stu

Mark, we will be looking for a History teacher with two women, and Dave, excellent!!! Hope you know a good place to go eat afterwards.

Eat? Plenty of places, but I'm starting to gain a bit of a reputation for never eating and only sleeping for a couple of hours every third day or so! :lol:

I'm around on the 30th and 31st July (leaving for another war on the 1st August) so I'll look out for you all on 31st.

Dave

Oh, you lucky sods! (Erm... how does one say that in Flemish? I could possibly maange the German and Latin)

I hope you have a great time, Kim & Tim et al! (Do the rest of your group rhyme nicely, too?)

Glad to see the GWF badges are going to have such an outing.

Allie

You won't seem foreign to me so I'll just look for the GWF badges. :D It will be hard to miss our group we'll probably look more like a Maori concert party. I'll be the one with a GWF badge.

Looking forward to meeting you all on the 31st.

Cheers, Diane

Hi Diane

Should I even dare to suggest the losers of the Bledisloe Cup buy the first round :rolleyes:

Looking forward to meeting other Pals

Andrew, you are a brave man, foolhardy and brave to venture into this battleground :ph34r:

Cheers

Shirley

PS Safe travel all, look forward to postings from abroad, and many photos.

Hi Diane

Should I even dare to suggest the losers of the Bledisloe Cup buy the first round :rolleyes:

Looking forward to meeting other Pals

:lol: Sounds good to me.

Cheers, Diane

After having consulted with one who knows the ettiquette of such matters, I will accquire a slouch hat and wear it OS.

It will be worn for the purposes of rememberence and recognisation, and will be donated somewhere towards the end of the trek.

So, if you see a khaki slouch hat,amongst a group of four people, in France, or seven at Gallipoli, say Hello. Also look for the forum bages, and the De Digger badges.

Cheers

Kim

PS 19 days to go.

Kim,

I recommend you wear the Slouch Hat for,at least,recognition purposes.

I recently attended a Forum Meeting and wandered round a Pub trying to indentify Colleagues wearing the GWF Badge.Luckily most of my Colleagues were mature Males.Had they been Females,of the younger variety,I'd likely be writing this from the comfort of my Prison Cell :wub:

George

So I guess this means you won't be wearing the De Diggers cap?!

I'll be proud to walk beside you in your slouch hat.

:blush:

Cheez, Frev.

If I can't lay my hands on one, I'll have to put an SOS into our ol' mate. But being close to Bandiana, i am sure to find one.

Cheers

Kim

:blush:

Cheez, Frev.

If I can't lay my hands on one, I'll have to put an SOS into our ol' mate. But being close to Bandiana, i am sure to find one.

Cheers

Kim

You will need a mac and hat! I have got soaked watching Le tour and visiting Coxyde cemetery so far. The last two years it was in the 30s cent. This year much better - warm and wet.

stevem

with a nice glass of Leffe - News at Coxyde, belgium.

Glad to see the GWF badges are going to have such an outing.

Not mine I'm afraid. After waiting so long for it's arrival, I'm sorry to report that it now lies missing somewhere in the Flanders mud. Killed last week on it's first trip to the Salient - somewhere near Wijtschaete.

Watch them pins - the catch is a ****** for popping off!

Dave.

Dave, just think what glee that badge could be hailed with by amature sleuths in 90 years or so. That faulty catch added much to the enjoyment of history buffs of the future!

Allie

True Allie. Perhaps my badge is the first one that might become a genuine "western front relic" on ebay? :rolleyes:

Kim. If you haven't mangaed to aquire a slouch hat before you set off, post here and let me know and I'll ensure that either myself or my son will be wearing one (a genuine WW1 ALH hat with a much replaced emu feather in an unaturally huge (for them days) size!). Look out for the hat and you'll know where I am. I also know both Mark and Sabine, so, find me and you'll find them too.

Dave

Hello,

looking forward to meeting everyone

kind regards

sabine

Same here Sabine.

Didn't get slouch hat, and after a discussion with another person, (ex army), won't be getting one. I respect the view he put forward, regarding the right to wear a part of the Australian Army uniform, so shall not do so.

Cheers

Kim

15 days to go :o:D

Didn't get slouch hat, and after a discussion with another person, (ex army), won't be getting one. I respect the view he put forward, regarding the right to wear a part of the Australian Army uniform, so shall not do so.

Then I suppose I'll have to bring mine, Kim.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Received this email from Ozzie (Kim) today

Havıng a ball. Very sad, very moving. France and Belgıum are ın full summer, harvetıng, flowers ın bloom. The food ıs amazıng, and the beer. :)

Takıng lots of photos. Plane trıps suck, but Aır France ıs good, lots of cheese and wıne.

We are runnıng on no sleep, gettıng about 5-6 hrs. Went 36 wıthout durıng flıght and trıp up to Belgium. The twılght goes to 10pm and suddenly ıt ıs after mıdnıght before you know ıt.

Up early, and off to get lost, (well just a lıttle) on the small country lanes. Every where ıs very close to everywhere else.

Now ın at Gallıpolı Houses, and have had our fırst look at Anzac Cove. Even though I had seen lots of photos, nothıng prepares you for the ımpact of the steepness of the hılls the boys dıed on. It ıs a very specıal place.

On Erıc,s computor, ın Turkısh !, whıch ıs dıal up and costs hım a fortune, so shall say goodbye, and hope that all ıs well wıth everyone

I am defınately comıng back.

Erıc,s hotel ıs a blow away, just beautıfully done.

Cheers

Kım.

PS Shall try to get to the computor agaın shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Now in Paris.WOW.

Have had the most amazing time;Tim and Andrew are on their way home and will post soon.

Frev and I are in Paris. Jeff has gone onto Malta.

We have literally- thousands of photos between us and will post when we get home. Lots of memories from the trip and meet the most amazing people.

Cheers

Kim

Great to hear you're having a wonderful time, Kim. Looking forward to seeing some of those thousands of photos!

Allie