Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

31 days to go

Ozzie

32 days to go and we will be at the Menin Gate. It seems like yesterday, back in January, that I was wondering how I would get through the time that lay in front of us, before we flew out on the trip of a lifetime.

Well, it is now only a month to go.

Have passport, finally, we won't go there. :angry2: Have discovered some family history. Discovered one family member, so far, who lays beneath foreign soil.

Trying to learn French and Turkish, as I believe that you should be able to say please and thankyou, at the very least, in the language of the country you are visiting, not to forget, "Where is the bleedin" toilet"!! :huh:

Had some very wonderful people help with advice on where to go and what to see, in our short time there, (Chris).

Fares are paid, beds are booked, rough plan of travel in place.

31st July Baupame, Fromelles, Menin Gate.

1st August Passendale area, Menin Gate.

2nd August Travelling to Somme and visiting along the way.

3rd August Somme

4th August Somme

5th August Flying to Turkey

6th -12th August Eric's place, Gallipoli Houses and Gallipoli.

4 days Istanbul

So, if you are in the area, and happen to see two women and two men, who seem foriegn, (read colonial) and hear a strange twist of the English accent, (it will be me probably, loud and very Aussie,) see some GWF badges ( designed by one of the touring party, Tim, ) then don't be shy, say Good day!

Hoping to meet up with those that have already said they will be at the Menin Gate on the 31st and 1st.

Shall endeavour to make sure that one of us stands out as LH, GWF Australian. B)

Look for the one with a carton of tissues, that'll be me.

Oh deary me, Oh golly gee, pinch me and tell me it is real!

Cheers

Kim

("Oh deary me" is a family joke. That is how they know I am in shock.)

Your not learning any Flemish then :rolleyes:

Have a wonderful time, I am sure you will.

Sadly I am there 9 - 20 th July and 13-18 August

Your OK in France - no need to ask for a toilet - just use any local bush or tree. My wife is aquainted with many of the Bushes and Trees in France and Belgium :lol: She is thinking of writing a book on the bushes and trees in France and Flanders

stevem

:lol:

Sadly her book will not be out in time for our trip???

No worries, country girl well versed in which side of the tree to **** behind!

Flemish. Mmmm, maybe I'll pickup some from Charlotte.

I am banging my head against a brick wall just trying to learn French.

They have these funny things about masculine and feminine and endings changing if a vowel follows. :wacko:

So far, I can say, I would like a drink, don't understand, and Where is the la rue San ......!

I can understand a little bit more if spoken to.

Look out, embarrassment on its way.

Missing you by days!!!

Cheers

Kim

I find French easy :rolleyes: -

I take my Granddaughter and she does it all. I suppose I should be embarrased having a 10 year old doing all the talking (but I am not).

I can speak German which is useful in the German cemeteries. Although even that is a bit rusty now (bit like me).

Always best to shout in English with a foreign accent :lol:

stevem

Try these

Flemish

French

Turkish

A few very basic phrases in Flemish, French, Turkish, the standard tourist stuff; yes, no, thanks, I need help. do you speak english?. ya know that type.

you can listen to them and download them to learn them.

Gaz

Hello,

so here are the essential french sentences you will use:

"Je voudrais une bière s'il vous plaît" (I'd like a beer please)

"Ou se trouve Pozières ?" (where is Pozières ?)

"Ou se trouve Villers Bretonneux ?" (where is Villers Bretonneux ?)

"Ou se trouve Le Hamel ?" (where is Le Hamel ?)

"Ou se trouve Fromelles ?" (where is Fromelles ?)

It should be be OK !

:ph34r:

Sly

Hello,

so here are the essential french sentences you will use:

"Je voudrais une bière s'il vous plaît" (I'd like a beer please)

:ph34r:

Sly

And if she happens to bump into me she also will need to know "Je voudrais deux bieres s'il vous plait" (I'd like two beers please!)

Tim

Ozzie mate. Forget the French! The written word here in this part of Flanders is pure Dutch! The spoken word is the same or Dialect (flemish) You will get much more response and respect from the flemish pals and people who live and work in Ieper (Ypres). Don't worry mate, they mostly speak English and you will be fine! :)

Guest KevinEndon

You could go down the road of the barbarian and say, oi mate if you want any of my Euros then give us a pint please, if you are served the landlord is either skint, sells poor beer or totally deaf.

Kevin

Looking forward to it all, just got to remember when to speak what, that is, if I can ever get the hang of these languages, cause at the moment, they just ain't stickin' in the brain.

Shall we be seeing you at Menin Gate, Chris?

Cheers

Kim

Kim, I am under the gate several times a week. Last night, I was part of a contingent, that laid a wreath on behalf of the Northern Ireland Veterans Association and I was honoured to be asked to read "Exhortation" This was a first for me, I felt very proud!!

And I'll be the one standing next to the woman with tissues, holding the lifesize cutout of Ricky Ponting just in case Broomers and Roland make it there.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Tim,

I reckon you will have a box of tissues as well in a blue and white checked box plus probably a DCM from Christine B)

Peter

(Not my turn this year :P )

And I'll be the one standing next to the woman with tissues, holding the lifesize cutout of Ricky Ponting just in case Broomers and Roland make it there.

Cheers,

Tim L.

:lol::lol:

Nay, Tim, they have not organised their hols properly. And that beer was waiting for them. Alas, an Aussie shouting a Pom a beer, and they passed it up.

More for us....

26 days to go!!!!

Cheers

Kim

Hey Ozzie / Kim,

Have a great trip. If you remember you read my post re the diary of Allan Sevestre in the Austrailian Artillery. I think it would be great if you had time to visit him in Flat Iron Copse Cemetery, Mametz Wood, Somme. Would be a worthy remeberance I think from a fellow Aussie. He is in the very fron t row far left.

Bon voyage.

TT

I should be at the Menin Gate on 31st July as will another Pal Dave (Croonaert). Please give us a shout. I 'look like a History teacher' (J. Hartley 2002) and I will have two women in tow.

Kim,

I appreciate you don't have time to visit the U.K. but have you got time to visit the French Coast,see the White Cliffs and give us all a wave?

Have a great trip.

George

Hi Kim,

No I haven't, but I guess I should and will do.

Only posted in "what do you do for a living"

Regards

Nige