Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

how many of us are interested in gallipoli?

Guest gumbirsingpun

Gallipoli is a special place to me because my granfather died there

It was a nice documentary peter! ;)

Thanks mate - glad someone saw it! (I forgot to mention that my birthday is 4th June - 3rd Krithia. For three years running I was in Gallipoli and laid a red rose on the graves of Lancashire Lads who died in this battle....)

Peter

I enjoyed Peter's post too. Well done! I've yet to visit Gallipoli so it's good to hear what it's like there.

Cheers, FHA

Thanks! (Sommelion was also referring to a TV documentary I did on Channel 5 a few years ago. I loved every minute of it)

And you really should go; it's terrific in all ways. Visiting Istanbul is a bonus, too. I'll never forget arriving (from Izmir) on my first trip, after five hours drive (and a speeding ticket from a polite Turkish policeman); as I sat in the lobby of the hotel in Chanakale, my first words to my wife were; 'I can't believe I'm that that's the Dardanelles...'. Everyone who goes comes back with memories...

Peter

I met and talked to 2 gallipoli vets when l was a young fella. Mr Edgar Gillhoulie from Ballarat was up beat about he 'stunt'. Whereas the other bloke--name l forget but will look it up when l get home, (was in a old age home in Camden outside Sydney), said it was a shithole! he couldn't understand the fuss!

It was our nations blooding, but l would have hated to be on the tip with the poms, you blokes got a severe hiding for nothing .Some unfortunates from the AIF were sent down to help--they wanted back to Sari Bair.

dekenai

I also have an interest ... as with Gareth (T8HANTS) mine is the Isle of Wight Rifles, 8th. Hants. In my view Gallipoli was a "lost oportunity" campaign ....

Chris

• 2 months later...

I'm interested in Gallipoli because my great grandfather faught there during The Great War.

I haven't recieved his records from the FAAM yet, but have been told by a member here my grandfathers records show he was there for the whole conflict.

I'm interested in Gallipoli because my great grandfather faught there during The Great War.

I haven't recieved his records from the FAAM yet, but have been told by a member here my grandfathers records show he was there for the whole conflict.

my interest in gallipoli is that my late wifes grand uncle was killed there in Aug 1915

pte james corcoran royal irish fusilliers /

my wife started to research about james and Gallipoli and now i am trying to complete that research

have had great help from many prople on this forum

my daughter is travelling to Kew next week to get documents etc which we are still missing

Gallipoli also mean alot to any irish person as so many of The Connaught Rangers and other irish regiments lost so many men there

tommy

• 2 weeks later...

Im very interested in Gallipoli, the connection is my Grand Father and Brother both went to WW1

my Grand Father returned but his brother (my Great Uncle) David Buckley 15th Battalion E coy A.I.F.

was K.I.A. at Gallipoli on 26/4/15 which i know very little about but am reseaching.

Bux.

I'm interested in Gallipoli for many different reasons; ititially it grew out of an interest in the Royal Marines and Royal Naval Air Service. I visited there in a biting wind in December with a very knowledgable local guide. I came in for a lot of ribbing as the only "Pom." Fortunately at the end their was far more understanding on all sides.

Guest Nigel Charlton

I am very interested in Gallipoli. My father was under age when the war started, like so many. He tried to join the KRRs but was told to walk round the block until he got older. Fortunately for me he joined 1/3rd East Anglian Field Ambulance and went to Gallipoli. Sady he died in the early sixties and I was not able to hear any of his experiences from him. I do know that the transport Royal Edward carrying the equipment was sunk and that he was at Suvla. Can anyone add anything about that particular Field Ambulance?

To me Gallipoli is one of those places that has been immortalised by the great sacrifice, that many men from all different countries made. My families sacrifice was a great uncle, Andrew Nathaniel Johnson, he was with the 12 Batt, D Coy AIF, that landed in the small hours of the 25th April 1915, that same day he was taken down with a Turkish sniper's bullet to the head.

Sir

I have recently become somewhat obssessed acquiring information about Gallipoli. My mother (she is 84 years) remembered a letter from Kitchener on the wall at her home as a child. Unfortunately the house was bombed flat in the 2nd world war. My cousin who shares the same grandparents had been doing some research. My mother having had a serious operation, it somehow spurred me on to find out about my ancestors. My cousin had already done most of the research on my mothers side of the family. It is an extremely moving and emotional experience to find just how many were involved in the Great War.

My grandmothers brother I suppose he is my Great Uncle. He was James O'Neill a Private in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment-the 6th Battalion. He is buried in Green Hill cemetery at Gallipoli. There is a grave ref. number. I have his service number and have confirmed by the address in the national roll of the Great War that we have found the correct soldier.

He volunteered in August 1914 as did his brother in law, my grandfather, although my grandfather did not go to Gallipoli.That is another story. I am aware James served on the Western Front with the 6th Btn of the Loyals. I am aware he was posted to Gallipoli with the Loyals. Unlike many there is a named grave in Green Hill cemetery. He died killed in action at Suvla Bay on November 27th 1915. The thought in the family was that he drowned.

I am now grappling with the following questions:-

Would he have fought with the Loyals at Chunuk Bair or any other engagements. I know about the controversy over Major Temperley and his order to fire towards some of the New Army, which consisted of The Loyals, Leinsters and Wiltshires. I also know of the massive force of a division and three battalions on the other side of the hill now attacking. I also know of the lack of grenades and mortars in the hands of the New Army soldiers etc. I also understand because of the terrain there was little machine gun cover until after they were overun by this substantially larger force.

I understand the Loyals were decimated in this overwhelming Turkish attack and If he was there how did he survive?

It would appear that many officers were killed resulting in a dearth of information about this battle from the New Army point of view. All I know is there was a substantial volley of rifle fire from the Loyals and there line broke. The Wiltshires very understandably attempted to avoid machine gun fire from above to enable them to reach their own weapons as they had been trying to entrench only having arrived at 2.00am..

I now wish to understand what life would have been for him at Gallipoli between Chunuk Bair and the 27th November,1915. Would he have been attached to some other battalion or would there have been enough Loyals left to stay together. How many Loyals survived Gallipoli from the original force?

I understand there was a severe storm on the 27th November,1915 at Gallipoli. Did he drown in the trenches which were under water caused by flash flooods?

I dont believe any member of the family has visited his grave. Myself and 19 year old youngest son intend to visit at some stage.

I have been most moved by the words of Ataturk and what I have read about the campaign. All that can be said is that the forces at Gallipoli from whereever were very brave men. My quest goes on.

Regards

John Davies

I have a personal interest in Gallipoli! No relatives that fought there though, mine were all on the Somme to my knowledge. I havent finished researching them yet, but all the KIA's are done, and I dont expect to find any Gallipoli people.

I helped somebody do some research on her family WW1 members when she got stuck. One of whom was a KIA, with no known grave, on Gallipoli. I became interested in Gallipoli. The research is long done, but I still read about Gallipoli when I have some spare time

Dianne

I dont believe any member of the family has visited his grave. Myself and 19 year old youngest son intend to visit at some stage.

John Davies

Welcome.

My wife and I visited his grave in October. Sadly we only had 30 minutes there and I could only photograph my own men but we did stop at every grave and pay our resepcts. I have a number of general photos of the Cemetery and if you go to my website www.ypressalient.co.uk - follow links to Gallipoli photos. Flickr pages 1, 7 and 8 have Green Hill

If you would like any, let me know via the email address on the website.

Steve M

• 1 month later...

I am fascinated by Gallipoli. My grandfather was a Royal marine there. He is dead now but he left a idary telling all about his time there & what it was like. So I am researching it all as I want to make a book of his personal experiences.

He was on a hospital shiip one time 6 tells of going to Corodino Hospital in Valletta, Malta. I cant find any info on this hosp. so any info would be gratefully received.

He did go back to Galippolli afterwards.

My Great Uncle Sidney Pitcher was in 14th Battalion AIF. He was badly injured at Gallipoli and invalided out of the army. He stayed in England after he recovered and worked in munitions until returning to Australia at the end of the war.

I have read many books about Gallipoli especially personal accounts. We are all very proud of him and indeed all soldiers in all conflicts.

I have the greatest respect for the way that Australia honours their vetrans and shares with the world (for FREE) photographs and army records. Their memorials are truely reverent and they try hard not to let anyone forget. Anzac really means something there.

regards

Amanda

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jackie MacFarlane

I only found this forum by chance. I am very interested in this subject. My Great Uncle fought with the HLI 6th Bat - army no 1633 -and he was killed "somewhere near Gallipoli" on 21 November 1915 and is buried in the Pink Farm Cemetery (Helles).

Does anyone know how I would be able to find out information on the war diaries round about that date in that area?

Regards.

Jackie

I have an interest in Gallipoli because my great uncle 1305 Pte Charlie THEWLIS was KIA on 2 May 1915 serving with the 14th Battalion A.I.F. and also Lieut Harold D. THEWLIS 1/7th Manchesters was KIA on 4 June 1915. I also have some medal groups to other casualties and others that fought and survived its horrors. It was just one of many theatres of war in which they fought.

LEST WE FORGET

David

My interest in the Galipoli campaign was, until just recently, passing at best because my relatives served on the western front. I recently aquired an SMLE MkIII rifle with regimental disc identifying it as being issued to the 1st heavy battery of the 4th RGA. This unit was formed in April of 1915 and shipped directly to Galipoli arriving late April or early May. The unit served there until disbanded in December, 1915. While researching this unit I discovered the horrendous conditions and terrible privations that the troops suffered under while fighting their many desperate battles. The courage and determination shown by these men is, in my opinion, the equal of that of any fighting troops in any theatre. They deserve more mention than they have so far received. Regards, Bob.

• 8 months later...
Guest Peter J Phillips

My father was serving with the 5th Battalion Suffolk Regiment in Gallipoli. On the 24th August 1915 he received a gunshot wound nto the head and was evacuated to Egypt and then back to England on board the Hospital Ship Essequibo. PeterJP

I am researching the 9th Battalion Sherwood Foresters, 33rd Brigade, 11th Div. Their War Diaries vanished for Gallipoli. One of my distant relatives was wounded on Gallipoli whilst serving with 9th Bn. I did not find out until I started the research.

The battalions first Officer and Other Rank deaths were on 24 July 1915 on the Helles front. I suppose the thought of 250 men of 9th Battalion still being there makes it special to me. It was their first battle - Suvla Bay - by 21 August some 500 were casualties. The CO was killed leading his men and they were found in a straight line just behind the CO, facing the enemy.

The Battalion certainly won its spurs on Gallipoli and went on to fight with distinction on the Somme, During the Battle of Ypres 1917 and in the last 100 days.

750 of them paid the ultimate price and one of them won a Victoria Cross.

Of the men who lie on Gallipoli, hardly any have a known grave. (Public thanks Tuna for the Helles Memorial photos)

stevem

I am interested in Gallipoli because my Great Uncle (F S Hammond) was there with the 1/11th Londons (Finsbury Rifles).

One of the many invalided out with Dysentery.

His war diaries from then went awol many years ago. I have his later diaries from Egypt/Palestine, but have tried unsuccessfully to find if his Gallipoli diaries still exist. Has anyone out there come across them???

Jim

Peter

Two of my great uncles were in the 5th Suffolks and I'm researching the Battalion and I believe I have your father in my database. Any other info that I could add to my research would be much appreciated. I see that you have only made the one post so you won't be able to PM me until you reach ten posts. If you would like to get in touch you can email me via my website.

Ray

Guest BRICKWALLS
Sir

I have recently become somewhat obssessed acquiring information about Gallipoli. My mother (she is 84 years) remembered a letter from Kitchener on the wall at her home as a child. Unfortunately the house was bombed flat in the 2nd world war. My cousin who shares the same grandparents had been doing some research. My mother having had a serious operation, it somehow spurred me on to find out about my ancestors. My cousin had already done most of the research on my mothers side of the family. It is an extremely moving and emotional experience to find just how many were involved in the Great War.

My grandmothers brother I suppose he is my Great Uncle. He was James O'Neill a Private in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment-the 6th Battalion. He is buried in Green Hill cemetery at Gallipoli. There is a grave ref. number. I have his service number and have confirmed by the address in the national roll of the Great War that we have found the correct soldier.

He volunteered in August 1914 as did his brother in law, my grandfather, although my grandfather did not go to Gallipoli.That is another story. I am aware James served on the Western Front with the 6th Btn of the Loyals. I am aware he was posted to Gallipoli with the Loyals. Unlike many there is a named grave in Green Hill cemetery. He died killed in action at Suvla Bay on November 27th 1915. The thought in the family was that he drowned.

I am now grappling with the following questions:-

Would he have fought with the Loyals at Chunuk Bair or any other engagements. I know about the controversy over Major Temperley and his order to fire towards some of the New Army, which consisted of The Loyals, Leinsters and Wiltshires. I also know of the massive force of a division and three battalions on the other side of the hill now attacking. I also know of the lack of grenades and mortars in the hands of the New Army soldiers etc. I also understand because of the terrain there was little machine gun cover until after they were overun by this substantially larger force.

I understand the Loyals were decimated in this overwhelming Turkish attack and If he was there how did he survive?

It would appear that many officers were killed resulting in a dearth of information about this battle from the New Army point of view. All I know is there was a substantial volley of rifle fire from the Loyals and there line broke. The Wiltshires very understandably attempted to avoid machine gun fire from above to enable them to reach their own weapons as they had been trying to entrench only having arrived at 2.00am..

I now wish to understand what life would have been for him at Gallipoli between Chunuk Bair and the 27th November,1915. Would he have been attached to some other battalion or would there have been enough Loyals left to stay together. How many Loyals survived Gallipoli from the original force?

I understand there was a severe storm on the 27th November,1915 at Gallipoli. Did he drown in the trenches which were under water caused by flash flooods?

I have been most moved by the words of Ataturk and what I have read about the campaign. All that can be said is that the forces at Gallipoli from whereever were very brave men. My quest goes on.

Regards

John Davies

John,

My interest in Gallipoli was started very early. Being Australian, and having a dad, uncles and grandfathers that fought in WW1 and WW2, I grew up on the Gallipoli story. Every year my dad marched proudly on ANZAC Day.

As I grew older I learnt, (to my surprise),that it was not just Australians and New Zealanders troops that fought at Gallipoli.

A few years ago, whilst researching my English born husband's family tree, I found that his great uncle died at Gallipoli. His name James O'Neill, private Loyal North Lancashire Regiment!! My mother in law said she remembered that someone in the family died at Gallipoli but she couldn't remember much about it. I researched and found out as much as I could from here in Australia for her.

You can imagine how surprised she was when I showed her your entry on this forum. She has been trying ever since to recall information about her aunts and uncles and their families.

I said I would reply to your entry for her and let you know that James O'Neill's Gallipoli story continues to be told here in Australia and that his neice and her family are very proud of their Gallipoli forebear.

Patricia Davies

As an Australian very much .The coming of age as a nation our baptism of fire etc,very moving stuff i went to gallipoli in 1998 dawn service .Wonderfully touching to be there .On the other hand I have of date done more research and realized very much so that many other theaters of war had far higher deaths etc in much shorter time Fromelles is a good one to compare. So the war as a whole has a bigger meaning rather than "OUR" first landing that all Australians generally talk about .Its a bit like our 1/7/16

MC

I'm interested because my Great Uncle Pte 8312 John Domigan Cook 1/4 Royal Scots Fusiliers was killed on 12th July, 1915 aged 21, during the 3rd battle of Krithia. He was a miner from Crosshouse, Ayrshire, and is remembered on the Crosshouse Parish Memorial, the Kilmarnock War Memorial and at Helles.

I have his BWM and bible.

The 1/4 R.S.F. war diaries do not makle for pleasant reading !

M

My Gt Great Uncle was killed in action 7 weeks after arriving at Galipolli with the 1st KOSB.

He lost his life on 28th June 1915, the first day of the battle of Gully Ravine.

He was 21 and had only had 4 months training before entering Galipolli !

Neil