Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

how many of us are interested in gallipoli?

Guest gumbirsingpun

Hi,

Being an NZer makes Gallipoli important, obviously. In addition, I knew 6 Gallipoli vets very well in my youth (the early 1990s), and my wife's great uncle was killed there (Hill60); she too grew up with Gallipoli vets, including one a former sniper at Quinn's Post.

Andy M

Hi Bryn,

Yes we both do, Chris will be happy to find out stuff for you - perhaps email us with the sort of details you would like.

Cheers

Shirley

Thanks Shirley,

I'll do that. I was in WA for a while last year and found the memorials to the Harper boys in Karrakatta cemetery.

It's always intrigued me that two of the 10th LH, including Tpr Wilkerson, killed on 7 August, are buried in Baby 700 cemetery.

James Wilkerson's grave was a most haunting one, up on Baby 700. From reading a book I have, an extract from the school magazine said "...James Wilkerson came to us from Katrine, near Tooday, and he, too, was one that fell in the great charge" , so why do you think he was buried quite far away from everyone else? He was only 18.

James Wilkerson's grave was a most haunting one, up on Baby 700. From reading a book I have, an extract from the school magazine said "...James Wilkerson came to us from Katrine, near Tooday, and he, too, was one that fell in the great charge" , so why do you think he was buried quite far away from everyone else?

He was only 18. We will remember them all in the morning.

Cheers

Shirley

post-20012-1177427212.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in Gallipoli.

My paternal Great-Grandfather, Rifleman John Davies, 3343, of the 6th Royal Irish Rifles died at Gallipoli on 10th August 1915 and is buried at No.2 Outpost Cemetery.

My maternal Great-Grandfather, Private James McNulty, 27799, 1st Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers may have fought at Gallipoli and survived the campaign, to die of wounds in Ypres in August 1916. I'm researching this at the moment.

Edited to include:

After some help and info from Rob Elliot of the forum, it now seems likely that Private James McNulty enlisted in the Skins in mid 1915 and therefore he did not see action in Gallipolli.

• 4 weeks later...

I am interested in Gallipoli for a number of reasons. It's so significant in my book due to the devastation it caused because the men there truly got it bad and I can't even begin to imagine their mental and emotional trauma. For me, it was a campaign that displayed German power through their Turkish allies and the true power of machine guns, which were a major cause of the death and destruction. It is also a badge of Australian power too. Australia was a relatively new country at this point and this was the first time for the men to stand side by side and defend their country. A further contribution would be the effectiveness or ineffectivesness of diversionary attacks that was displayed in this theatre. This sparks a huge historical debate: was Gallipoli a mindless diversionary attack or a stroke of military genius that could have won the war?

Lynsey :lol:

I cought fire on Gallipoli, when I went for the first time in 2003 as member of battle field tour organized by the NATO Rapid Deloyable Corps in Istanbul. From that time I had visitited that faszinating place more then 10 times and started to write a book about the Germans in this battle.

I enjoyed very much three British led tours, which showed how to visiualize and discuss even a military desaster and try to learn from it. We walked in the early morning hours up to Chunuk Bair and tried to understand the feeling of the attackers 6 August.

I saw the making of the the last Turkish Gallipoli movie and W-beach in full defence set up like 90years ago - strange!

I will visit Gallipoli in two weeks again and try to visit the new museum in Suvla but also to find some unknown German wargraves.

I really recommend to pay attention also to the other parts of the battles like around Kirthe, where the French corps fought a very brave battle in an extraordinary difficult terrain. See the photograph of the valley of Derevisdere, which could never crossed by the Allied troops.

post-22005-1181238181.jpg

Interested in Gallipoli as an honorary member of the local branch of the Lancashire Fusiliers (6 VC s before breakfast) and because of a local lad who died of exposure Suvla Bay and whose nephew lives about 1/2 mile from me.

As a very new member, I have tried to find the appropriate direction for my enquiry, so far clumsily and ineffective.

I was very excited to come across an excerpt of a diary kept by John Goate (Royal Scots) describing action of a machine gun crew on May 2nd 1915. He refers to a David Anderson, who was killed when a shell burst overhead. I am sure that this was my Uncle David, and I am anxious to know if any further mention is made in the diary discovered by Ms Dorothy Goate (daughter) after her father's death in 1946. The excerpt was reproduced in 'The Gallipolian' issue No 91Winter 1999

Our family has very little information about events preceding my uncle's death. Can anyone can help me to trace this diary, to get in touch with Ms Goate, or to suggest where my enquiries might best be directed?

Donald M

As a very new member, I have tried to find the appropriate direction for my enquiry, so far clumsily and ineffective.

I am sorry but I can't really help you with your enquiry. I don't think it's best placed in this section though to get optimum response. What you need to do is go back to the GWF front page and click on "Other Theatres" again. Then you can start a new thread by clicking on the appropriate button. This way you will maximise your response rate. I hope you are enjoying your time here so far and if you need any help, the old sweats are always happy to help!

Lynz :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm increasingly interested in the Gallipoli campaign, though know comparitively little beyond a few standard reference works and the odd general history...Laffin, Liddle, Steel & Hart, etc. What gets me iare the incredible similarities, yet at the same time extreme contrasts, between the WF and Dardanelles; deprivation, squalor, death, trenches...but also the remoteness of Gallipoli, the impossibility of home leave and the remarkably high incidence of disease...to say nothing of the astoundingly close proximity of certain trench lines and the vicious hand-to-hand fighting.

Brave men indeed.

My Great-great uncle served there in (I believe) the Wiltshires, despite being a born-and-bred Devonian whose brother was a sergeant in a local TF battalion. I also believe that my Great-Grandfather and his brother, shipwright-carpenters at Devonport Dockyard, were sent to the vicinity to help repair damaged vessels, but have no firm evidence of this...anyone help?

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from Gallipoli and still overwhelmed with impressions and feelings. The best thing this time was defenitely to meet Eric, better known as the "Plummed Goose" in the forum. He and his wife are running a lovely little hotel in Kocadere, which is the finest house on the peninsula. The open and warmhearded welcome, the immedeatly started discussions about the campaign but also the country, other guests coming together and sharing their view in the center of this historic ground was and is unique. We wnt the first day to Suvla-Bay, which was the first time for me, and were looking for some old german observation posts, which we, most probably found. We saw the harbour area in Suvla area, which was used after the August landings.

Here a picture of the wonderful, brandnew guesthouses...

post-22005-1183313007.jpg

and here its Eric on top of Teke Tepe - the camera is looking toward north-eastly direction. Later we went to Kaba Tepe and found many old trenches and artillery positions...I can only recommend to come and see Gallipoli. I will be back next year for sure!

And for those, who haven't met Erics webpage - here it is.

http://www.gallipoli.com.tr/

post-22005-1183313298.jpg

I interviewed several NZ and Australian veterans who served on Gallipoli, a number of them becoming good friends of mine despite the disparity in our ages.

I've become more interested in the last year,always known about it but having booked, then read about and now been on a trip there in May, it now holds a special place in my heart and memories.

So many stories of heroism and wasted life.

Also in Pink Farm cemetery a headstone with what is I think one of the most poignant inscriptions I have ever seen:

post-21740-1183557930.jpg

When I saw it I just felt the the howl of anguish and absolute grief that must have come from his parents but combined with such pride.

RIP Fred.

My Grandfather landed on the first day with the 1st Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Wounded mid June 1915, and sent home to recover. He told the story of how they got quite far inland that first day, then had to head back, because he had run out of ammunition. They never made it as far inland again, he said.

• 2 weeks later...

My interest in Gallipoli is that my grandfather, Tpr 50 Robert Hamilton 1st Light Horse, landed from HMAT Devonha, 6.00am 12th May,200 yds South of Fishermans Hut, Anzac Cove. He left Gallipoli 21st December with his regiment for Egypt. He sailed from Port Said on HMAT Bermudian, landed at Southampton on 19th December 1918 for leave and was discharched 15th March 1919 with the rank of RQMS 50 Robert Hamilton MM 1st Light Horse. He had overseas service of 4years & 187 days,

All the best

Wull

• 4 weeks later...

My interest in Gallipoli is two fold. Firstly I'm a retired Australian Regular Army warrant officer serving 27 years and having a family military history dating back to WW1.

Secondly as a female wargamer I enjoy gaming the sideshows of WW1 including Gallipoli. I've a number of friends whom I game with and this is extremely enjoyable, moreover, I've a very large book collection on Gallipoli including Turkish (English Translation) and German books. I'm also not very far from the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, Australia. Their research centre is terrific and I do spend a number of hours in there reading and researching.

The last book I've read from my collection was on "With the Zionist in Gallipoli" by JH Patterson and a fab book it was too. I managed to pick this book up cheaply from Canada which was a real bonus.

My other interests also lies with Africa, Middle-East, Pacific and Far East too.

God Bless

Helen

For me Gallipoli is a fascinating amphibious operation-of the kind often seen in WWII but rarely attempted before WWI. Caesars landing in Britain, The Huns landing in Hakata Bay, Japan and perhaps Abercrombie in Egypt are the only ones I can think of that are similar. It is also the first time the defender spread along 100k of coast to try and stop a landing-again, quite familiar in WWII but unknown before Gallipoli.

Peter

My interest stems from childhood when as a pupil at a Church of England School every high day and holy day we would all trop down to the local church (St Benedict Biscop in Wombourne, Staffordshire) and would look about when my eye chanced upon a memorial window to this man:

Name: SHAW-HELLIER

Initials: A J B

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/08/1915

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 134 to 136.

Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

As I recall it stated he fell in the Dardanelles and was intrigued as to where this was and it went from there.

• 5 months later...

I am VERY into it now as I have retired, researched by father and mother's exploits; gone back to Vietnam to rehash mine - and now am after my grandfather's.

He was at ANZAC Cove with the 23d Inf. Batt. - evaced to Lemnos, hospital in Malta, then to London and back to Australia for recovery. He then went back to Egypt and into the Sinai campigns as an engineer with the First Field Sqdrn. Aussie Mounted Corps. His troop (with the help of some Light Horse and Lanc. Yoman) forced the first bridge over the Jordan River linking Allenby's boys to Larry of Arabia coming up the otherside, attack on Amman and on to Damascus. His name is Edward John Howells MC - often found listed as just EJ Howells.

Thanks to the grand efforts of the AWM, it is far easier to get info on my WWI relations (files, forms, photos and live help), than my Eagle Sqd. father of WWII - and sometimes even my own war.

I am off to the Mideast and Turkey (ANZAC Day 2008) soon to dig some more and I very much enjoy reading all the other comments and knowledge on this forum. Thanks.

- Rod

• 4 weeks later...

I'am intrested in Gallipoli because the 13th Light Horse regiment fought there. But what intrest me more is the diaries and personal comments from the men who were there. I 'am not much the tactical buff but more the human insights of it all

patrick

My interest is due to the fact that my great uncle died there when HMS Triumph was sunk on 25/5/15. His brother also served there with the Australian Naval Bridging Train.

Must go there some day.

I am interest in Gallipoli as my Granduncle Trooper Edmund Kiley, who was in "A" Squadron,1st Light horse Regiment, was killed at Popes Post 7/8/1915.

MAY HE REST IN PEACE