Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Football in the Great War

peter__m

Although not two of the 'giants' of football the Junior and Amateur teams from my village, Newtongrange Star and Newtongrange United sent huge numbers of men to the forces, Newtongrange United recorded in 1917 that 43 players , members and officials had joined the colours with the consequence that they had to fold. At least three of their players were killed during the war, another Sgt Alexander Burnett won the MM and bar, sadly he lost his life in a accident down the pit in WW2. I have attached a picture of the Newtongrange Star team of 1919/20 season, most of them saw service during WW1, the man on the extreme right of the back row is a William Horsburgh whom I believe maybe the Grandfather of Forum member Scott Henderson.

post-12171-1171113000.jpg

Back row: A. Dennison (Treasurer), T. Moffat, J. McIntosh,

J. Taylor, W. Horsburgh

Centre row: J. Taylor (Secretary), T. Burnett, H. Flynn, J. Wood,

G. Whitehead, W. Barton, G. Nelson (Trainer)

Front row: W. Reid, G. Barton, J. Flynn, C. Letham (Captain),

J. Meldrum, J. Black, D. Pearson

Seated: J. McConochie, R. Pryde

Here a Newtongrange man who plied his trade as pro both sides of the border.

post-12171-1171124600.jpg

If anybody has any other information on his career, I would be happy to hear from you.

Peter,

sorry if this is on previous threads - I have not checked.

1) "Major" Buckley, player, manager of Wolves and others:

Biography:

‘The Major' a biography of Wolverhampton Wanderers manager Major Frank Buckley by Patrick A. Quirke

From Wikipedia:

.....When the First World War broke out, he joined the 17th Middlesex Regiment as an officer, reaching the rank of major in 1916. He commanded the 'Footballers Battalion' - made up of soccer professionals - and from then onwards was known as 'Major Buckley'. Returning to football when hostilities had ceased, he managed Norwich City until internal disputes meant that he left for Wolverhampton Wanderers. He proceeded to transform the Molineux side from Second Division strugglers into one of the most powerful sides in the game.

Early life

Buckley was born in Urmston, Manchester. He joined the army and bought himself out in 1902 to join a football club. He went from Aston Villa to Brighton to Manchester United and Manchester City all within six years and only found something approaching stability with Birmingham City, where he made 56 appearances. Soon after that he was on the move again, this time to the Baseball Ground, where he played in Steve Bloomer’s victorious Derby County). It was with the Rams that he gained his sole England cap, in 1914 in a shock 3-0 defeat by Ireland at Ayresome Park, before upping sticks, again, to join Bradford City; his stay in Yorkshire shortened by the start of World War I.

Buckley went to war with the 17th Middlesex Regiment (where he commanded the Footballers’ Battalion) seeing action and receiving wounds to his lung and shoulder in the Somme and rose to the rank of Major. On his return, he was appointed manager of Norwich City.

In July 1927, Buckley took up an appointment with Wolverhampton Wanderers.

AND,

From http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk/exhi...all/page2.shtml

The outbreak of World War One (1914-1918) presented the football authorities with a problem. Although supporting the enrolment of footballers into the armed forces, they decided to continue with the 1914-1915 season in order to maintain public morale. Once it was completed, both the League Championship and the FA Cup were postponed for the remainder of the war.

Many footballers joined the Army on an individual basis. For example, 11 members of Tottenham Hotspur were killed during the war fighting with various units. One former Spurs player who survived was Vivian Woodward, who played for Clacton, Harwich and Parkestone and Chelmsford before joining Tottenham in 1902. With 19 goals in 27 matches he was Tottenham’s top scorer in the 1908 season when they were promoted to Division One.

Woodward later joined Chelsea and played for them until the outbreak of war. In 1914 he joined the Rifle Brigade, but later became a Captain in the 17th Batallion, The Middlesex Regiment. He was wounded in 1916 and never played football again. Woodward won 16 of his 23 full international caps while he was playing for a non-league club. He also played in 44 amateur internationals, including the 1908 and 1912 Olympics, scoring 58 goals. His best performance came in England’s first amateur international against France in 1906, when he scored eight goals.

In November 1914 Sir George McCrae, chairman of the Local Government Board in Edinburgh, called for volunteers for his new unit. They became the 16th Battalion, The Royal Scots. Among the first recruits were the entire Heart of Midlothian first team. At the time Hearts were top of the Scottish League. The 16th were the original 'Footballers' Battalion' and Sir George went on to assist in the raising of the 17th Middlesex.

Female players also joined the war effort. The museum has a memoir written by a Miss McLean of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (later Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps). The daughter of a Preston North End footballer, she describes playing for the Army Pay Office establishment at Fulwood Barracks, Preston, in 1916:

'Record Office also formed a ladies team and we played each other on the Preston North End football ground. This game was a huge success, the money went to war comforts etc. A match was then arranged for Dick Kerr's Ladies team to play Pay and Record office teams on the Blackburn Rover ground. I think we were the first to beat Dick Kerr's team. This match was a treat for the convalescent soldiers stationed at Whalley Hospital who filled the stands. I was proud to be captain'.

'The Directors of Blackburn Rovers invited us to dinner after the match. The Chairman had known my father, who had played at Blackburn many times. The Chairman said if we were only men he would have signed us for Blackburn. I had been brought up on football as long as I could remember, my father being known as Jimmy McLean who played for Preston and many other teams. The Chairman remarked on the likeness of my play with my fathers'.

Regards,

Stuart

What about the workers !

Private Fred Edmonds had been the Groundsman at Derby County F.C. for nine years. He served with the 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters, wounded at Suvla Bay. Killed in Action 9 July 1916 on the Somme whilst with the 1st Battalion.

stevem

Stuart,

Very interesting. Thanks for posting those articles. A couple of thoughts did occur to me on reading them:

I have yet to unearth any evidence that Sir George McCrae had any direct involvement in the raising of the 17th Middlesex. I should also say that the idea of raising a Footballers' Battalion in England had been discussed several weeks previously, but that the suggestion did not 'meet with favour in military quarters'.

Frank Buckley was second-in-command of the battalion (Feb-Jul 16). He was only in command of the battalion for a short period when the CO went on leave in Spring 1916.

Regards,

AGWR

A couple of England internationals to add:

Edwin Latheron who played for Blackburn and twice for England died in 1917 and Evelyn Lintott played for Q.P.R. and Bradford City (amongst others) and seven times for England and was killed on 1st July 1916 and was an officer in a Yorkshire Regiment, I can't remember which one.

In the utterly superb "Bravest of Hearts", by Hal Giblin (a 'biography' of the Liverpool Scottish), on page 349 is a photo and biographical details of Sgt Peter Quinn, MM*. He had been a professional with Blackpool, won an MM at 3rd Ypres, and his Bar at festubert in April 1918.

He returned to Blackpool FC after the war, transferring to Presten north End in 1920 for £3,000, playing in the 1922 FA Cup Final (lost 0-1 to Huddersfield Town). he subsequently played for Bury and for New Brighton (scoring their first ever League goal).

Thanks for all of your superb posts and photos so far.

It really is quite fascinating...

Keep em coming!

8116, 2nd Battalion york and lancs , Larrett Roebuck

Huddersfield Town

Died 18.10.1914

Steve Bloomer was in a German prison camp throughout the war, although strictly speaking he was a civilian internee rather than a POW. He was coaching in Germany at the outbreak of war.

There is an excellent book by Jack Alexander called McCrae's Battalion. The McCrae's Battalion Memorial Trust's website is linked below, as is one on Scottish footballers in the Great War.

McCrae's Battalion Memorial

Scottish footballers in the Great War

Captain Philip Fullard DSO, MC & Bar of the RFC, who shot down 40 enemy aircraft, played for Norwich City reserves before the war.

The Patrick Crossan whose CWGC entry is given in posts 14 & 16 isn't the footballer. The footballing Patrick Crossan was in McCrae's Battalion, the 16th Royal Scots. He survived the war & returned to Hearts but never fully recovered from being gassed in the war & didn't win the international caps that had seemed certain before the war. He died at the age of 39 in April 1933.

Thanks Martin.

I was reading further and starting to question that one myself.

By the way, does anyone have any medals belonging to footballers who died in the great war?

It'd be great to see them!

I have a 14 star bar trio, plaque, badges and photos to a player who was a striker for my beloved Southend United. He also played for Plymouth and Chatham as well as his regiment. Next time I have it out I will happily post it up should it be of interest.

Steve

Another local man hears the final whistle.

post-12171-1171324086.jpg

Some more ....

Bob "Pom-Pom" Whiting played 54 games as Chelsea's goalkeeper and was killed in action on 28h April 1917 whilst serving with 17th Middlesex.

Extract from letters to Whiting's widow from 2nd Lt Howard, acting adjutant, and unnamed commanding officer, B company 17th Middlesex: "I very much regret to have to inform you that your husband, no. F-74 Private R Whiting, of this battalion, was killed in action on the 28th of last month. He was killed instantaneously by shellfire in the recent offensive operations. Will you please accept my sincere sympathy in your loss. Your husband lost his life while attending tothe wounded under fire, and died while doing hs duty both well and nobly. He is buried very near the scene of the action near Vimy Ridge".

Two players with Chelsea connections who won the Military Medal:

Jack Cock, a renowned centre forward of his day for England, Huddersfield, Chelsea, Everton and Millwall.

Harry Wilding, who played 265 games for Chelsea, and later Spurs and Bristol Rovers, won his MM whilst serving with the Coldstream Guards.

Guest KevinEndon

During the great War the Celtic had about 57 club members serving with the colours

The football players KIA during WW1 with links to Celtic FC I have so far are ...

Sgt Pat Slaven 2nd Batt Royal Scots KIA Nov 1916

L/Cpl W Strang

L/Cpl Liegh R Roose MM 9th Royal Scots, goalkeeper.

(Welsh International) KIA Oct 1916

Pte M Gilhooly

Pte H Gillford

Pte Robert Craig 5th South Wales Borders. 13 games , full back 1906/9 KIA April 1918

Pte Peter Johnstone 6th Batt Seaforths. played 223 games won 6 leagues titles in a row with Celtic. his body was never recovered and is remembered on the Arras Memorial

Pte Donny Mcleod RFA 115 games as a full back 1902/8 KIA October 1917

Pte John McLaughlin 11 th Batt HLI KIA May 1917

Pte Archie McMillan 1/7th Argyll's made his team debut agaianst Rangers 1913. KIA November 1917

Died in War Service...

Pte Frank D Kelly.(son of James Kelly)

and as a matter of interest Willie Maley's brother Thomas Maley was also killed in action.

During WW2 they had about 45 members of Staff who served with the colours.

Joe McCulloch serving with the RSF was killed in action in WW2, He won a Charity Cup medal with the 'Tic against the Gers. J MCCoen serving with the RAF was killed in a plane crash in the UK.

They also had a player PteT McGuire who served in the 2nd Afghan War and during the Boer War they had the Devlin brothers John and James serving along with a Pte J king and a Pte A Lynch.

As well as ex playerL/Cpl Willie Angus winning the VC, Sgt George Downie who also won the VC with the Dubliners was also on the 'Tic books before the war and worked as a gateman for many years after the war, There is a pic somewhere of the first team with george in the line up,

I DONT think you'll find many football clubs with more members than the 'Tic who served the British Empire!!

written by Wee Jock

and

Taken from The Scottish Memorial forum run by D McNay and D Robertson and Co. with weejocks permission

hello peter just like to add some players from my club millwall JOHN(JACK) WILLIAMS WELSH INTERNATIONAL (2 CAPS) 5/6/1916 AGED 30 CHARLES EDWARD GREEN 28/4/1917 AGED 35 BOTH 17TH MIDDLESEX REG GEORGE PORTER 14/7/1918 AGED 26 18TH MIDDLESEX 2ND LT, JOSEPH DINES 27/9/1918AGED 32 13TH LIVERPOOL REG (HE ALSO WON A GOLD MEDAL IN THE 1912 OLYMPICS) ONES THAT SURVIVED WILLIAM (BILL) VOISEY SGT R,F,A WON D,C,M/M,M,/CROIUX DE GURRE FOR BRAVERY UNDER FIRE WALLY DAVIS (WELSH INTERNATIONAL ANKLE WOUND COULD NOT PLAY AGAIN PLD114-67 GLS WAS FOUND DROWNED IN MYSTERIOUS CICUMSTANCES ON 20/5/1937