Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Football in the Great War

peter__m

According to FIFA's website, Sepp 'Herberger was drafted into military service in 1916 and served two years in the army.'

Thanks for that, Martin. Makes my signed photograph of 'The Chief' even more special to me then.

Any ideas as to whether his predecessor (Otto Nerz of VfR Mannheim until 1919) saw any service too? (Can't find any biographical detail of him for this period and he was also of the correct age to have seen some service...I suspect that, if he did, it would have been with the medical services)

Cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking into the life and career of my great aunt's father, James Rigby. He played for Exeter City pre and post WW1. One of his team mates in 1914 was Augustus (Gus) Harding. He had played for Spurs and Chelsea before moving to Devon.

Anyway, Harding was reported as being killed in action. I can not find anything to back this up. If anyone has any information about any of the 1914/15 Exeter players, especially Rigby or Harding, I would appreciate it. They were returning from South America after playing Argentina and Brazil when war was declared. I'm not a football fan but I'm helping my 9 yr old nephew with a little project that seems to being growing!

Alison

Steve Bloomer the famous Middlesbrough player was indeed a POW at Ruhrleben during WW1.

Steve was so popular with the local town inhabitants that he was allowed to select a football team from fellow POW’s to compete against local civilian teams. Stevie used these opportunities to barter for food for the camp inmates. The camp commandant was aware of what was going on but decided to turn a blind eye.

This information is all I can remember from a letter written by the camp commandant after WW1, it is held in the Peter H Liddle Archives.

Barry

• 1 month later...
Guest quizwinner

I'm looking into the life and career of my great aunt's father, James Rigby. He played for Exeter City pre and post WW1. One of his team mates in 1914 was Augustus (Gus) Harding. He had played for Spurs and Chelsea before moving to Devon.

Anyway, Harding was reported as being killed in action. I can not find anything to back this up. If anyone has any information about any of the 1914/15 Exeter players, especially Rigby or Harding, I would appreciate it. They were returning from South America after playing Argentina and Brazil when war was declared. I'm not a football fan but I'm helping my 9 yr old nephew with a little project that seems to being growing!

Alison

Hi Alison,

The centenary of the tour to South America is in 2014 so a lot of research is currently going into the epic trip. I am helping the Exeter City Supporters Trust with this. Be great to have some information from you on the life of James Rigby who played in the famous game v Brazil - Brazil's first ever game!

As far as Gus Harding goes the Exeter City 'Complete Record' syas he was one of 5 City players killed in WW1. I believe he was the only one on the tour who was killed. Three others who went on the tour with James were badly injured and had to retire from football.

Do get in touch with any information you have.

Best wishes

Martin