Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Football in the Great War

peter__m

Hello to all. thought I'd jump in and add some more Celtic FC medal winners

L/Cpl William Angus VC

Sgt Robert Downie VC, MM, ORDER OF ST GEORGE (Russian equivelent to the VC)

Lt W Nichol DCM

L/cpl L R Roose MM (KIA)

Pte D Pratt MM

Pte J Cassidy MM

Capt W Lyon MC (WW2)

There is a couple more I'm sure but I will have to dig through a pile of paper to find the names!!

weejock

Peter,

I have found a copy of a ghosted autobiography of Tom Whittaker, who played for and then became part of the coaching staff at Arsenal in the inter war years. The book does not say much more that the wikipedia extract below.

1916-1917 apprentice in Newcastle area, trained with Newcastle United Swifts, apprenticeship in marine engineering. At the end of his apprenticeship called up by army (he was surprised too), and posted to Lydd then Shoreham. He was an ordnance engineer in th RGA. He played for the Brigade as a wing half (earlier he had been an outside right). The Brigade side was "rather hot stuff". At this time he was recommended for a trial with Arsenal. He was then transfered to the Navy, and sent on leave until he was demobilised.

He went to Arsenal for his trial on 11th November 1919.

WIKIPEDIA

"Thomas James Whittaker MBE (July 21, 1898 – October 24, 1956) was an English football player, trainer and manager, chiefly associated with Arsenal Football Club

Whittaker was born at East Cavalry Barracks, Aldershot, Hampshire, but grew up in Newcastle upon Tyne from the age of three. He spent his early football career in the North East of England as a youth player, whilst training as a marine engineer, later working in that role for Hawthorn Leslie & Co of Tyneside. He joined the British Army in 1917, later switching to the Royal Navy and playing football for the Royal Garrison Artillery. After serving his country in World War I, Whittaker joined Arsenal in November 1919, first playing as centre-forward then as wing-half. He made his debut in a 1-0 defeat away to West Bromwich Albion on April 6, 1920 and became a regular in the side in the 1920s, playing 70 times for the club and scoring two goals.

He toured Australia as part of the Football Association side in 1925, but during the tour, in a match in Wollongong he broke his knee cap and was forced to retire from playing. Resolving to carry on in football, he joined Arsenal's coaching staff and entered study as a physiotherapist. He became Arsenal's first team trainer under Herbert Chapman in 1927 (whilst still younger than many of the players on the pitch). Whittaker had an important role under Chapman in reforming the training and physiotherapy regime at the club, and played an essential part in the club's successes of the 1930s.

After Chapman's death in 1934, Whittaker continued to serve under his successor, George Allison, and also became a trainer for the England national team. The Second World War saw Whittaker work as an ARP warden, before becoming a pilot in the Royal Air Force, achieving the rank of Squadron Leader. For his service on missions on D-Day, he was awarded an MBE."

Regards,

Stuart

Peter,

earlier in the thread you mention a number of Spurs players killed during the Great war, do you have their details by any chance please?

regards,

Scottie.

(long suffering Super Sperz fan!)

This laddie was destined for big things apparently, but sadly died within sight of the end, his ship never fired a shot in anger during the war and lost 50 men in a week to disease.

post-12171-1171647553.jpg

hello peter a couple more to add jack stanley ALLAN pte r,a,m,c pld for newcastle utd,w.b.a. notts forest,died aged 33 4/5/19192nd lt, harold godfrey bache 10th lancashire fusiliers aged 26 16/2/16 pld for corinthians ,w.b.a gnr wilfred bartrop r.f.a. aged 29 7/11/1918 pld for barnsley/liverpool sgt, thomas,charles benfield 6th leicester reg aged 29 19/9/1918 pld for leicester fosse,derby,co

i dont know if you have had this one he is EVELYN HENRY LINTOTT LT, 15TH WEST YORKS AGED 33 1/7/16 PLD BRADFORD CITY/LEEDS CITY WAS A ENGLAND INTERNATIONAL WON 7 CAPS ALSO HIS BROTHER KEITH L/CPL NEW ZEALAND ENGINEERS DIED AGED 21 23/9/1916

i dont know if you have had this one he is EVELYN HENRY LINTOTT LT, 15TH WEST YORKS AGED 33 1/7/16 PLD BRADFORD CITY/LEEDS CITY WAS A ENGLAND INTERNATIONAL WON 7 CAPS ALSO HIS BROTHER KEITH L/CPL NEW ZEALAND ENGINEERS DIED AGED 21 23/9/1916

Peter,

earlier in the thread you mention a number of Spurs players killed during the Great war, do you have their details by any chance please?

regards,

Scottie.

(long suffering Super Sperz fan!)

I'm working on that for you...

I have Walter Tull and Vivian Woodward already for you above but I'm trying to track down the names of others

who played for Tottenham.

Perhaps some of the other pals know more...

hello peter and cockney tone i can add JOHN EDWARD LIGHTFOOT PLD FOR SPURS 1911-14 DIED 1918 AGED 29 ?

Sgt J W Windmill DCM 16th Royal Warwicks (3rd Birmingham Bn) played for Aston Villa and played in the FA Cup Final of 1905. They beat Newcastle 2 - 0. Became a teacher after WW1.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...
Guest blackburn
One or two years ago we had a book published in Holland about historic football-players. One of the stories was about Henry Wattie and his Hearts-colleagues.

A great book - if you read Dutch... :rolleyes:

Roel

what's the title of the book ? Do you have an ISBN number of it ?

Luc,

Belgium

* 'Walter Tull, was another outstanding footballer who abandoned his career and offered his services to the British Army. Tull, who had played for and Northampton Town, joined the 1st Football Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment. The Army soon recognised Tull's leadership qualities and he was promoted to the rank of sergeant. In July 1916, Tull took part in the major Somme offensive. Tull survived this experience but in December 1916 he developed trench fever and was sent home to England to recover.

Tull had impressed his senior officers and recommended that he should be considered for further promotion. When he recovered from his illness, instead of being sent back to France, he went to the officer training school at Gailes in Scotland. Despite military regulations forbidding "any negro or person of colour" being an officer, Tull received his commission in May, 1917.

Lieutenant Tull was sent to the Italian front. This was an historic occasion because Tull was the first ever black officer in the British Army. He led his men at the Battle of Piave and was mentioned in dispatches for his "gallantry and coolness" under fire.

Walter Tull stayed in Italy until 1918 when he was transferred to France to take part in the attempt to break through the German lines on the Western Front. On 25th March, 1918, 2nd Lieutenant Tull was ordered to lead his men on an attack on the German trenches at Favreuil. Soon after entering No Mans Land Tull was hit by a German bullet. Tull was such a popular officer that several of his men made valiant efforts under heavy fire from German machine-guns to bring him back to the British trenches. These efforts were in vain as Tull had died soon after being hit. Tull's body was never found. Eleven former members of Tottenham Hotspur were killed during the First World War.'

*not sure what book this is taken from

There is a book devoted to Walter Tull..."From Claret to Khaki" by Rod Wickens.

(I teach with him!)

Bruce

Belfast- born John Houston, the only player hailing from the Emerald Isle to feature in an Everton eleven during the 1914/15 title- winning campaign, was transferred to Linfield in 1915. In view of the fact that I have no record of his movements subsequent to this transfer, or his date of death, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that he was a Great War casualty. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission Web site lists forty- four J. Houstons who fell in the First World War from 1915 onwards, only two of whom served with Irish units. If he was indeed killed in the Great War, it is likely that he was one or other of these two fallen Irish soldiers: 6173 Rifleman John Houston, age unknown, 8th Battalion, The Royal Irish Rifles, killed in action on 2 July 1916, the second day of the 1916 Somme offensive, and commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing, pier and face 15A and 15B, or 30471 Private J. Houston, age unknown, 1st Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, who died of wounds on 22 November 1918 and is buried in Tourcoing (Pont- Neuville) Communal Cemetery, District of Lille, France.

post-1582-1174782429.jpg

John Houston (as wee boy) in a famous local football team. Not one of them had a Bentley.

Most of them served GW.

John Houston may have been born Belfast but he was obviously brought up in God's Country.

post-1582-1174782812.jpg

I am currently writing a book about the life of one footballer who died in the 1914-18 war - Wilfred Bartrop. The book is tentatively called “Swifter than the arrow” (although that title might change once I find a publisher!)

In case it is of interest to anyone on his forum, Gunner Wilfred Bartrop was born in Worksop, Notts, in 1887, and was killed in action at Warcoing in Belgium on 7th November 1918. It was the last day of action that his Division – the 40th – saw in the war, as the German armies here withdrew their forces on the 9th November. He was 30 years old – although many records and obituaries incorrectly give his age as a little younger.

Bartrop played for Worksop Town (1908-1909), before Barnsley FC paid “a substantial sum” for his signature. He played as a professional footballer for Barnsley FC from 1909 to 1914, competing in two FA Cup Finals (both of which went to replays), and picking up an FA Cup winner’s medal in 1912. He played as an attacking right winger, and was renowned for his pace and crossing ability. Perhaps the most famous goal he scored came in an FA Cup 4th round match against QPR, when he scored the winner by swerving the ball directly into the net from next to the corner flag. “The greatest goal I ever saw” were the words of one newspaper reporter. In May 1914, Liverpool FC paid Barnsley £900 for a double-signing of Bartrop plus one of Barnsley’s defenders. However, Bartrop found himself second choice at Liverpool, and he played just three times for the first team during the 1914-15 season (professional football continued until the end of that season. He did make many appearances for Liverpool reserves and scored the winner in the 1915 Liverpool 'Senior Cup' Final.

From 1915, he gave his services to the war effort by working at Manton colliery in Nottinghamshire (also appearing one weekend for Notts County in one of the amateur games that continued during the war) and then in 1918 he enlisted early in the Royal Field Artillery. He served in ‘X’ Trench Mortar Battery for the 40th Division, which fought in France in the liberation of Cambrai, and then in Belgium in the advance to the Escaut, where Bartrop died in action.

Wilfred Bartrop was not the only FA Cup winner to die in the Great War. Bob Torrance and Jimmy Speirs played for Bradford City in the 1911 Cup Final, with Speirs scoring the winning goal. Torrance was a gunner in the RFA; he was killed in April 1918. Speirs became a Seargent in the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders, was awarded the Military Medal, and died in the Third Battle of Ypres at Passchendaele in the summer of 1917.

I also came across another interesting footballer in my research into Wilfred Bartrop. Second Lieutenant F.G. Wheatcroft of the 13th East Surrey Regiment is buried at Anneux Cemetery at the foot of Bourlon Wood, west of Cambrai. I also visited his grave last year. Wheatcroft was one of the last amateur footballers competing at the highest level, including playing for the England Amateur Football Team. His day job was as a schoolteacher, but he also played as inside forward (striker) for Alfreton Town, Derby County, Swindon Town, Fulham and Reading FC. It was with Swindon Town that he enjoyed most success. For example, he played against Bartrop in the semi-final of the FA Cup in 1912, and only a fingertip save from the Barnsley goalkeeper denied Wheatcroft a goal that would have sent Swindon through to the cup final instead of Barnsley.

If any reader has information on Gunner Wilfred Bartrop, I would be very interested to hear from them. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Another one specially for Steve Newman with his love of Southend United.

post-1871-1177187240.jpg

* 'Walter Tull, was another outstanding footballer who abandoned his career and offered his services to the British Army. Tull, who had played for and Northampton Town, joined the 1st Football Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment. The Army soon recognised Tull's leadership qualities and he was promoted to the rank of sergeant. In July 1916, Tull took part in the major Somme offensive. Tull survived this experience but in December 1916 he developed trench fever and was sent home to England to recover.

Tull had impressed his senior officers and recommended that he should be considered for further promotion. When he recovered from his illness, instead of being sent back to France, he went to the officer training school at Gailes in Scotland. Despite military regulations forbidding "any negro or person of colour" being an officer, Tull received his commission in May, 1917.

Lieutenant Tull was sent to the Italian front. This was an historic occasion because Tull was the first ever black officer in the British Army. He led his men at the Battle of Piave and was mentioned in dispatches for his "gallantry and coolness" under fire.

Walter Tull stayed in Italy until 1918 when he was transferred to France to take part in the attempt to break through the German lines on the Western Front. On 25th March, 1918, 2nd Lieutenant Tull was ordered to lead his men on an attack on the German trenches at Favreuil. Soon after entering No Mans Land Tull was hit by a German bullet. Tull was such a popular officer that several of his men made valiant efforts under heavy fire from German machine-guns to bring him back to the British trenches. These efforts were in vain as Tull had died soon after being hit. Tull's body was never found. Eleven former members of Tottenham Hotspur were killed during the First World War.'

*not sure what book this is taken from

His whole story is told in "From Claret to Khaki" by Rod Wickens......I only know because I teach with Rod.

It is a good read.

:D

Bruce

Someone (think it was Peter Leonard mentioned a "footballers memorial" at lancaster gate, but i cannot get any hits - cane someone point me in the right direction.. thanks

Hi Andy

Thanks for that. I know of three SUFC players who where killed in WW1. William Sutherland, Harry Owen and there is one other that from memory and not being on my own PC I can't for the life of me remember, except that he was London Scottish KIA 1/7/16 but will post it and as soon as I can.

Once again thanks for thinking of me for the picture and please no comments re relegation!!

Cheers

Steve

Susan - The bronze plaque was unveiled in 1924. When the FA moved headquarters from Lancaster Gate to Soho Square, the plaque was moved to the National Football Museum in Preston, where you can see it on the wall just as you enter.

Someone (think it was Peter Leonard mentioned a "footballers memorial" at lancaster gate, but i cannot get any hits - cane someone point me in the right direction.. thanks

I have a photo of the plaque - will display here once worked out how to do that!

Peter

Susan - The bronze plaque was unveiled in 1924. When the FA moved headquarters from Lancaster Gate to Soho Square, the plaque was moved to the National Football Museum in Preston, where you can see it on the wall just as you enter.

Sorry that was a bit large! I'll re-size next time; at least you can read it!

post-15376-1177240597.jpg

See http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport.cfm?id=1289202004 for a report on the unveiling of a cairn to commemmorate 16th Battalion The Royal Scots ("McCrae's").

I'm not sure about a book in Dutch, but there is a books about the 16th Royal Scots, - see http://www.laurahird.com/newreview/mccraesbattalion.html .

While attention is focused on Heart of Midlothian footballers, I believe that several players from Hibernian, and players from other Scottish professional clubs also joined 16th Royal Scots.

David

Thanks Peter.

No wonder i could not find it, google kept directing me to preston, but would I listen? ( to my shame i did not even look!)...

thank you again.

susan.