Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harlebeke New British Cemetery, Belgium

Jacksmum

We are attempting to make an Archive of all the men buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery. Can you help? We are looking for biographical details, photos, in fact any information. There will be an Archive here in the UK and also one in Harlebeke itself.

Any information will be helpful, as even "hearsay" can send us in the right direction.

Hi Jacksmum,

I have a great uncle buried at Harlebeke. His name is William Hay. I know very little of him other than he came from Glasgow, and was serving with the Royal Field Artillery, C Battery 51st Brigade when he was killed on 20th October, 1918. He was 30 years old, and left a wife Jean. He was the brother of my father's mother, and was born in Whiteinch, Glasgow in 1888. He was a regular soldier and was serving in Ireland in 1905.

william hay

pics of harlebeke are to be found in find a grave , i m uploading all of them there ..so if u re looking for a pic , feel free to copy it from there ...

soilsister

12529057_122010047708.jpg

Here is another man in Harlebeke, his medals & plaque are in my care. Should anyone know his original burial site I'd appreciate the heads up.

Kind regards,

Lars

10063 pte/lcpl Joseph Prodger, 1st RWF

Born In Bangor, circa 1890, the son of Kate and William Prodger. William Prodger, a collier driver at 93 Crabtree Green, Eyton, Wrexham with sons Joseph and Willie, daughter Ellen (1901 Census). Enlisted circa 1908/1909. Reported Wounded 20th October. Reported

Wounded and Missing 21st. October 1914. Later noted as death accepted 21/10/1914. Buried at Harelbeke New British Cemetery (a concentration cemetery) near Courtrai.

1st btn embarked for France 5th October 1914 on HMT WINIFREDIAN, arriving at Dunkirk the next day. There ordered to return Dover, they finally disembarked at Zeebrugge on the 7th. After holding positions near Ghent, on 14 october they were ordered to march for Ypres as part of 22nd brigade. October 16th in positition at Zonnebeke. After retreating from Kezelberg the btn had lost 3 officers, 14 NCOs and men killed, 4 officers and 84 NCOs and men wounded and 11 missing. The 20th found the btn entrenched along Passchendaele road and heavily shelled and attacked by the germans. Next day brought new german attacks. The trenches became untenable ant the line was broken in places at 6pm. Parts of B and D Coy were taken prisoner as they refused to leave the trenches. Orders were received to withdraw to Ecksternest. On these two days they lost 5 officers and 37 ORs killed, 4 officers & 80 ORs wounded, 6 officers and 213 men missing in action. The war diary comments “Owing to records being lost in action these number can only approximate…”

The next week saw the btn heavily engaged in the fighting, being rear guard of 22nd brigades retreat. On the 30th October the diary notes: “No officer remained after the 30th october and the party which survived the actions on that day (approximately 86 other ranks ) were attached to the 2/Queens.

14A_0015.jpg

13A_0014.jpg

20A_0021.jpg

12529411_122014023446.jpg

Lars

That is great, thank you very much - is there any cchnce you have a photo of the man himself? Are you related to him?

I will try to find out if he was buried elsewhere originally, but in 1914 Harlebeke was a front line cemetery and the chances are thet he was buried there. You can see this if you look at the plans of the Cemetery. At the end furtherst from the gate are the earliest graves - all facing the gate. A little further forward the graves face inwards towards an empty space and this is where the Cross of Sacrifice was to be erected. In 1918 when the citizens of Harlebeke gave the land to the CWGC, the cemetery was extended right up to the road and the Cross moved nearer to the entrance. It is these later graves that (like my Uncle, moved from Bergmolen, Ardooi) that are the "concentration" graves. However, I will pick a few brains and let you know what I find out.

Great photos - thanks again, Jacksmum

Name: McPHEE

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Seaforth Highlanders

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 20/10/1918

Service No: S/27662

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IX. A. 4.

Cemetery: HARLEBEKE NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

William McPhee is commemorated on both the Shiskine War Memorial and the Lamlash War Memorial Hospital memorial on the Isle of Arran: Note that his death is recorded as being at Zillebeke:

DSCF2725.jpg

DSCF2747.jpg

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic....orum=warmemscot

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic....orum=warmemscot

Name: McINTOSH, JAMES

Initials: J

Regiment/Service: Cameron Highlanders

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 25/10/1918

Service No: S/21746

Additional information: Son of Mrs. A. McIntosh, of 12, Dickson St., Hawick, Roxburghshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. A. 4.

James is commemorated on the Hawick Roll of Honour.

Prior to enlisting James was in the employment of Hawick Gas-Light Co.

post-172-1220174451.jpg

Name: PRINGLE, DAVID

Initials: D

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/10/1918

Service No: 38969

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Pringle, of 8, Beaconsfield Terrace, Hawick, Roxburghshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: IX. A. 1.

David is commemorated on the Hawick Roll of Honour.

He enlisted in January 1917 and had been in France since April 1917 and was wounded.

Formerly a framework knitter with Hawick Hosiery Company, he was also a member of Hawick Saxhorn Band and was 20 years of age.

post-172-1220174298.jpg

pringle david --mc intosh and mcphee

grave pics taken last week

12529271_122013629045.jpg

12529259_122013660642.jpg

12529409_122018245221.jpg

Joseph Prodger is no relation, I collect medals to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in WWI, and this is how I have come across him. I have no photo of the man or his possible commemoration in Bangor or Wrexham, but I still have not checked the local newspapers for the time.

He is buried in XIV B 1, which made me think he was one of the men re-interred in Harlebeke.

All the best,

Lars

We are attempting to make an Archive of all the men buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery. Can you help? We are looking for biographical details, photos, in fact any information. There will be an Archive here in the UK and also one in Harlebeke itself.

Any information will be helpful, as even "hearsay" can send us in the right direction.

DAVIDSON, ROBERT

Initials: R

Regiment/Service: King's Own Scottish Borderers

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 1st/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 31/10/1918

Service No: 240177

Additional information: Son of Robert and Elizabeth Davidson, of Lanefoot Cottage, Cardoness, Gatehouse-of-Fleet, Kirkcudbrightshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. C. 12.

The above is my great uncle and I have various bits and pieces including photograph, medal, letter from officer informing of death, postcards and personal diary with entries until late october 1918.

I'm late to this thread but please get in touch if any of above is of interest

davidson robert grave last week

12528886_122003607302.jpg

Derek,

Regarding McPhee S/27662 - he would have been a contemporary of my grandfather, S/26900 James Muir, 7th Bn Seaforths.

Guess you do not have McPhee's picture?

Ian

Re W. McPhee - I just consulted my pages of the Bn war diary and indeed the unit was not at Zillebeck rather, and unsuprisingly, near Harlebeke. The battalion was in action on 20th October and McPhee is noted in SDGW as being killed in action. The early artillery barrage fell near our own troops, leading to 'some casualties' and later the attacking troops met with some stiff resistance in the form of machinegun fire. Thus it is not possible from this to tell if McPhee was a victim of friendly fire or not. There were 2 other ranks killed and 40 wounded that day.

Ian

DAVIDSON, ROBERT, 1st/5th Bn. KOSB

The above is my great uncle and I have various bits and pieces including photograph, medal, letter from officer informing of death, postcards and personal diary with entries until late october 1918.

I'm late to this thread but please get in touch if any of above is of interest

I would be very interested to hear from you. I have sent you a PM.

Stuart

Joseph Prodger is no relation, I collect medals to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in WWI, and this is how I have come across him. I have no photo of the man or his possible commemoration in Bangor or Wrexham, but I still have not checked the local newspapers for the time.

He is buried in XIV B 1, which made me think he was one of the men re-interred in Harlebeke.

All the best,

Lars

I will be there in November so will see if I can check it out for you with the local "knowledge"

Jacksmum

Name: PRINGLE, DAVID

and JAMES McINTOSH

Hello Derek, Very many thanks for sending the details of David and James AND THEIR PHOTOS which is a real bonus. I will forward these all on the the researcher at Harlebeke who will be thrilled I know. For the Ceremoney on the 11th November to which all the towqnspeople go, Philip has all the photos of the men he has amassed and puts them all on the graves. It transforms headstones into men and can be very moving.

Thanks too, to everyone who is keeping this thread alive and the information coming in.

All good wishes Jacksmum

My pleasure - the boys deserve no less.

Not much on this chap I'm afraid.

LUNT, John Charles, b. Sandbach, Ches., e. Blackburn, Lancs., 202223, Private, killed in action, France & Flanders, 31/07/17, 8th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment. Buried Harlebeke New British Cemetery, Harelbeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, grave XI. E. 6. Lunt is not commemorated on any memorial in Sandbach, and so far been unable to find if he is commemorated in Blackburn.

Not much on this chap I'm afraid.

LUNT, John Charles, b. Sandbach, Ches., e. Blackburn, Lancs., 202223, Private, killed in action, France & Flanders, 31/07/17, 8th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment. Buried Harlebeke New British Cemetery, Harelbeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, grave XI. E. 6. Lunt is not commemorated on any memorial in Sandbach, and so far been unable to find if he is commemorated in Blackburn.

Sorry to be late in replying - I don't know where the time goes. Thanks for the above anyway, as everthing adds a little more to the overall picture.

It will go into the files with all the rest.

Regards - Jacksmum

• 6 months later...
Guest penworden@hotmail.com

My Great Grandfather was richard hutchinson Birth Place: Kendal 1887 (christened Christmas Day 1887)

Residence: Ferry Hill

Death Date: 20 Jul 1915

Regiment: King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)

Battalion: 2nd Battalion.

Number: 17453

Married to Dinah Miller Tyson they had 2 (or 3) children. One was possibly not Richard's as I think he had died by the time she would have fallen pregnant. I have one picture of him (in uniform).. He was originally buried in Ledgeham German Cemetery and was moved in 1924 ( I have details of grave sites for both and exact dates if you want them. If anyone has any details on what happened to Richard, why he was buried in Ledgeham or how he may have died I would be grateful.

I will send you a PM shortly, but in the meantime thanks very much for the information about Great Grandfather Richard Hutchinson. Yes please, copies of your photos would be much appreciated by me, and also by the man who is collating all the information he can about the men in the Cemetery, for the museum and the people of Harlebeke. This started some years ago, then the local people who attend the Armistice Ceremony every year started to say it would be nice if they could get to "know" the men in the British cemetery, like they "know" the local people in their own graveyards. This began the search for details of the men, and just as importantly, photographs of them. Everything collected will go into the Harlebeke Town Archives.

I will send the PM now so that you can send me the photos of Richard.

All the best, and welcome to the Forum,

Jacksmum

Penword,

I have information and photos for you plus a map of the area where Rchard fought., send me a PM and I can forward it all on to you. It has been suggested that Richard might have been injured in the fighting which took place on the Frezenberg Ridge and taken in by the Germans to one of their Lazarets (Field Hospitals) at Ledgehem where he subsequently died from his wounds in July. He would have been buried locally, which you know, and transferred to Harlebeke in 1924. Oddly, this pattern follows the same path as what happened to my uncle, Avalon Hutchins - and the surnames are not too far apart either.

Jacksmum