Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harlebeke New British Cemetery, Belgium

Jacksmum

Penword,

Can you get in touch? I have photos for you and information.

Jacksmum

• 4 weeks later...
Penword,

Can you get in touch? I have photos for you and information.

Jacksmum

Hi, I am a relative of Pen Word, We are both researching Richard Hutchinson, he was my great great grandfather. Could you please also send me the information you ahve regarding Richard Hutchinson. thank you for your help,

Diana Kidger : diana_kidger@hotmail.com

Guest penworden@hotmail.com

Sorry, have been distracted, Thanks Di!. Di just emailed me and pointed out this message. I can't work out how to PM!!! and the link to the grave photo won't allow me to view. I am probably doing something wrong. Please advise!!!

Penword

Sorry, have been distracted, Thanks Di!. Di just emailed me and pointed out this message. I can't work out how to PM!!! and the link to the grave photo won't allow me to view. I am probably doing something wrong. Please advise!!!

Penword

Hiya Pen, the link was fragmented but managed to figure it out in the end.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/jacksmum9/RecentlyUpdated

Its amazing to see this, I cant wait to see what other information Jacksmum has found out, its so exciting. Thanks for posting on here in the first place, like when i emailed the museum, you never know what you're going to find out!

Penword and DVK

I think the reason you cannot figure out how to send a personal message is because you are new to the Forum - I don't remember the exact rules but think you have to have posted 10 messages before you can use this facility..HOWEVER..write to me at avalon9@btinternet.com

Jacksmum

Pen and DVK

Photo arrived - Thanks Pen...I will be in touch later and will send you both everything I know. Do I see a Family trip to Harlebeke in the offing?

Jacksmum

Hi Jacksmum

Six Men who had served with the North Irish Horse are buried at Harlebeke. If you go to www.northirishhorse.com.au, click on 'Casualties', then scroll down to the listing under Harlebeke, you can click on the individual men's names for biographical information on each.

Happy to receive any further information that you have on them, or pictures.

Cheers

Phillip

Many thanks - will go to the web site straight away, and get back to you later.

Jacksmum

Hello Jacksmum,

On the Anstey memorial there is a W. Watson. The nearest connection that i can get to Anstey in my search is this man,

42216 Pte. William Watson 1/5 Kings Own Scottish Borderers, kia 31.10.1918. Laid to rest Harlebeke New British Cemetery, born and resident Leicester and formerly 28054 Leicesters.

Regards. Llew.

P.S. If anyone can confirm my findings or if a photo of Williams's headstone is available, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for that - another addition to the archives.

I can get you a photo when I go to Harlebeke, but this will not be until November. I believe "Soilsister" here on the Forum has photos of every grave in the cemetery, so worth writing to her I think.

We will take it as read that this is the right man...another who nearly made it to the end.

Regards, Jacksmum

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

My great uncle Frank Didsbury is buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery in Belgium. He was serving with the 2nd/5th Batallion of the South Lancashire Regiment when he died on 11th January 1918. He was a rifleman 21531 and is buried in grave XII.B.10. I found quite a few of his service records on the WW1 records on ancestry.com including signing up, names and addresses of his relatives when he died, casualty form, property returned to his mother after the war etc.

You can find him on the 1901 census aged 4 years old. He was born in Chester - most of the Didsbury family originated from Tarvin near Chester.

Also on the census:

Frank Didsbury Dad 32

Ellen Didsbury Mum 27

John W. Didsbury Brother 10 - My Grandad(Fought with the South Lancashire regiment too 14915 and then in the Welsh Regiment 74022)

Mary E. Didsbury Sister 8

Elizabeth E. Didsbury Sister 2

Samuel A. Didsbury Brother 8 months

Alice E. Didsbury Sister 8 months

His father Frank Didsbury died and Ellen remarried to Thomas Henthorn.

Please let me know how you get on with your search and if there is any other information that you would like if I can find it.

Many thanks.

Helen

Hello Helen,

Thank you for all of that, it always surprises me how much info is you there waiting to be found. There comes a time when I think that we cave collected as much as we can, and then we find two or three men in a few weeks - they are ganging up to make sure we keep remembering them.

Please let me have anything new you find out about Frank and in particular, if you find a photo of him. Every November 11th, the local researcher Fhilip puts a photo on the grave of every man for whom we have photos (of course!) and the local people of Harlebeke can see the faces of the men in "their" Cemetery.

ATB Jacksmum

I have some fairly basic information about some 11th Battalion Border Regiment men interred there :-

Bent Frederick  Born:Seacombe, Ches.  Enlisted:Liverpool (Wallasey, Ches.)  260268 Pte. Formerly 3131 Liverpool Regt. died  5/12/17  Harlebeke New British Cemetery XII.E.13.

Brown Frederick William Born:Carlisle, Cumberland . Enlisted:Penrith, Cumberland (Carlisle) 28134 Pte. Formerly 2979 W & C Yeo. died 19/03/1918 Harlebeke New British Cemetery XII.B.2.

Hawkins, Thomas Francis Born:Chelsea, Middx. Enlisted:West London, Chelsea 263074 Pte. Formerly 3401 W & C Yeo. d.o.w. 17/01/1918 Harlebeke New British Cemetery XI.A.14.

This is information I hold as part of my Lonsdale War Grave Project

I hope it is some use to you......

Spike

Hello Spike,

I thought I had thanked you for this, but I must have clicked the wrong button (again!) and it has not appeared on the Forum. Anyway, thanks for the information - let me know if you ever come across any photos (De R or local papers). In the meantime I will add this to the archives.

ATB Jacksmum

• 3 weeks later...

Jacksmum

A little extra on one of the Harlebeke men, from the Irish Times 9 November 1918 ...

post-6657-1244334311.jpg

Thank you for that Mac, all these little snippetts add to the whole, and I am glad you sent it. Much obliged,

Jacksmum

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Avalon, do you by any chance have any more details of this man who is buried at Harlebeke? I can't seem to find him in SDGW.

M2/080488 Pte M French

Army Service Corps

died 24.10.1918

Grave Ref X. B. 4

Hello you,

I have had a quick search but cannot find anything more, only what is on the CWGC. I do not have any further info here for him. Am rushing off out now (Ron's radiotherapy on his prostate starts today for a month) but when I come back I will look through "Ancestry" for you.

I will keep you in my little black book (blue actually) and if I come across anything I will let you know.

We will find him, if he wants to be found.

Avalon

Give Ron our best.

Will email you when I am up and running in a few days. (rather large needle in very delicate area :D )

steve

rather large needle in very delicate area :D

That explains the smile then !!

That explains the smile then !!

Who's laughing most - us or Steve???

• 1 year later...

Jacksmum

Congratulations on your project.

Seeing you are back on the forum again (just seen your posts on the new Harlebeke thread) I would just like to mention that the thread I started last year 21st Battalion KRRC - the Original Yeomen was entirely stimulated by a wish to know more about my great-aunt's lost fiance John Thomas Hardcastle, KRRC, who is buried in Harlebeke. I could summarise his biography for you if it would help, but sadly still have no photo.

He died as a POW, of an unknown sickness, three weeks after the Battle of the Dunes at Nieuport on 10 July 1917, serving by that time with 2/KRRC. According to his record he was in Kriegslazaret (German War Hospital) Notre Dame, Deinze.

I assume he was buried first at the place mentioned on your list (#16 on p.1 of this thread) as 'Deynze German' before being moved to Harlebeke. I'd be very interested to know of any other men who came from there.

Liz

Captain George Ryefield TAYLOUR

2Bn Royal Warwickshire Rgt

KIA 19/10/1914 during attack towards Dadizele.

Regards,

Cnock

Captain George Rysfield Taylour (365) was another

Old Summerfieldian from a military background – his father was Major Geneneral Lord John Henry

Taylour. George was killed aged 39 on October 19th 1914 some 20 miles east of Ypres,

serving in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Born in 1875 he came to Summer Fields

in 1887 and went on to Wellington in 1889. He joined the Warwickshires in 1897 and

was attached to the West African Regiment in Sierra Leone from 1901. Before the war

he commanded the British detachment of the International Forces as Scutari. Staff, boys and parents from the school visited his grave to pay respects in April 2009.

Chris

Sorry to have been away so long, I have had so much trouble with my computer that the whole thing nearly went out of the window, and I watched the tennis instead. It needs an overhaul, (much like me)

Thanks Liz for your information on your G-Aunt's fiance, John Hardcastle. Yes please, all the info you can give me, and it all gets sent to Harlebeke where - if you have read the thread - you will know it is collated into the local archives. It is great to have new information so thanks very much.

Also Thanks Chris for the extra information about Captain Taylour...I will forward this today to Harlebeke.

Jacksmum

p.s. Jack is getting better thanks to those who have enquired - he is now using all four legs again.

Thanks - it will probably be a week or two before I produce a summary of Hardcastle's life for the records as I'm going away, but I just want to mention some bits I've noticed in Googling for other men whose bodies were buried first at Deinze German cemetery, then moved to Harlebeke. You may well have them already but they aren't mentioned here.

1. Private Robert Morgan of the 5th Bn Cameron Highlanders, died of wounds 10th May 1918 aged 22. A family website (Bob Anderson) mentions a memorial in North Merchison Cemetery, Edinburgh, saying 'died of wounds received at Kemmel Hill and interred at Deinze Germany' (it's in Belgium but was in German hands of course). CWGC show him buried at Harlebeke NBC ref XII.E.1

2 2/Lt Reginald Peel Pohlmann of the 25th Squadron RFC, died 5th Feb 1918. From Halifax, Yorks. ref VII.C.3

There's an old thread on www.aerodrome.com: he was shot down over Deinze, and the participants realise that he was not immediately buried at Harlebeke but think it was Canegem- Egens and are discussing why he was apparently buried some distance from where he was said to have been killed. I wonder if he was in fact buried at Deinze.

it may be that there was no other man buried at Deinze from the prisoners taken at Nieuport on 10 July 1917, as happened to Hardcastle, but that's what I'm looking for. They would probably be Northants or KRRC.

Liz

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne