Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harlebeke New British Cemetery, Belgium

Jacksmum

We are attempting to make an Archive of all the men buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery. Can you help? We are looking for biographical details, photos, in fact any information. There will be an Archive here in the UK and also one in Harlebeke itself.

Any information will be helpful, as even "hearsay" can send us in the right direction.

Only a small piece of info for you - of course you can easily see these names from the CWGC list, but I had recorded them since they were in my grandfather's battalion, 7th Seaforth.

Part of the 9th (Scottish) Div, these were the last casualties of the battalion in the Great War. Crossing the Lys near Harlebeke on the night of the 19th October, the battalion was in action until the evening of the 26th October, 1918. The KIA's of their final attack on 25th October, 1918 are all buried at Harlebeke (7) plus one DOW of this day. (There was one further KIA from this day - Pvte G Wands 285128 - a ''missing'' and who is commemorated at Tyne Cot).

Buried at Harlebeke

25 Oct 18 - KIA

L/Cpl W Anderson S/41535 (b Barrhead Lanarks, e Paisley, Renfrew, formerly 17026 A&S H)

Pvte A Catterall S/22631 (b Livsey Lancs, e Dunfermline Fife, formerly TR/1/1516 T R Bn)

Pvte J K Lynch 204148 (b Irvine Ayr, e Hamilton Lanark, formerly 4130 HLI)

Pvte D S McKay S/27473 (b Barony Lanark, e Glasgow)

Pvte A Macneil S/4936 (b Stornoway Lewis, e Stornoway)

Pvte P Skene S/14390 (b Tarland Aberdeen, e Aberdeen)

Pvte G M watt S/27639 (b Alves Elgin, Moray, e Inverness)

25 Oct 18 - DOW

Cpl J W Omand 242129 (NB. He was a MM holder -b Hoy Orkney, e Stromness, Orkney)

21 Oct - KIA

Pvte G H Smith 200718 (b Salford Lancs, e Manchester)

21 Oct - DOW

Pvte J M Waters S/22861 (SDGW gives 20 Oct as d o d - b Halkirk Caithness, e Thurso Caithness)

20 Oct - KIA

Pvte W McPhee S/27682 (b Aran Bute, e Glasgow)

I believe (from the CWGC info) that they would all have been buried at battlefield locations and later concentrated at Harlebeke after the war.

Sorry I cannot help with the personal details of these men, I would like to get around to it one day!

Ian

We are attempting to make an Archive of all the men buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery. Can you help? We are looking for biographical details, photos, in fact any information. There will be an Archive here in the UK and also one in Harlebeke itself.

Any information will be helpful, as even "hearsay" can send us in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum

Will you please explain who "we" refers to and what sort of archive are you planning?

Myrtle

Welcome to the forum

Will you please explain who "we" refers to and what sort of archive are you planning?

Myrtle

Hi Myrtle,

"We" are me - and I have had an interest in Harlebeke for many years as my Uncle is buried there (2nd Lt A.J.A. Hutchins - Royal Sussex) and our family have been visiting him regularly. Another part of "we" is a local Harlebeke man who was born locally and includes the Cemetery in his overall interest in the Great War as it affected his town and the surrounding area. He lodges his information in the local Harlebeke Historical Society. My info is kept here at home for the present. Eventually perhaps the IWM would like it.

Jacksmum

Only a small piece of info for you - of course you can easily see these names from the CWGC list, but I had recorded them since they were in my grandfather's battalion, 7th Seaforth.

Part of the 9th (Scottish) Div, these were the last casualties of the battalion in the Great War. Crossing the Lys near Harlebeke on the night of the 19th October, the battalion was in action until the evening of the 26th October, 1918. The KIA's of their final attack on 25th October, 1918 are all buried at Harlebeke (7) plus one DOW of this day. (There was one further KIA from this day - Pvte G Wands 285128 - a ''missing'' and who is commemorated at Tyne Cot).

Buried at Harlebeke

25 Oct 18 - KIA

L/Cpl W Anderson S/41535 (b Barrhead Lanarks, e Paisley, Renfrew, formerly 17026 A&S H)

Pvte A Catterall S/22631 (b Livsey Lancs, e Dunfermline Fife, formerly TR/1/1516 T R Bn)

25 Oct 18 - DOW

Cpl J W Omand 242129 (NB. He was a MM holder -b Hoy Orkney, e Stromness, Orkney)

21 Oct - KIA

21 Oct - DOW

Pvte J M Waters S/22861 (SDGW gives 20 Oct as d o d - b Halkirk Caithness, e Thurso Caithness)

20 Oct - KIA

I believe (from the CWGC info) that they would all have been buried at battlefield locations and later concentrated at Harlebeke after the war.

Sorry I cannot help with the personal details of these men, I would like to get around to it one day!

Ian

Buried at Harlebeke

25 Oct 18 - KIA

25 Oct 18 - DOW

21 Oct - KIA

21 Oct - DOW

20 Oct - KIA

Ian

Hi Ian

Many thanks, it all helps - I have a similar list of RIR and am working my way through that. Over the Holiday I had a great deal of info about one of these men, including a photo of him and some of his family.

Jacksmum

a lot of the men, now buried in Harelbeke, were orginally before buried on local civilian cemeteries and also on german cy (moved to harelbeke in second part of the years 20).

most of them died during 3th ypres and spring offensive (april 18)

if you are interested in the idendity those men, i can sent you the name, n°, rgt, etc... of those who were buried in the german "ehrenfriedhof - Marke".

Marke is located a 7 miles east of Harelbeke on the river Lys

Marc

if you are interested in the idendity those men, i can sent you the name, n°, rgt, etc... of those who were buried in the german "ehrenfriedhof - Marke".

Marc

Marc,

Any of your listed men from 7th Bn Seaforth Highlanders? would be interested to know if there are any.

Thanks

Ian

Marc

I would be interested to hear if there are any Hereford Regiment men listed.

Thanks

Myrtle

Jacksmum

I will send you a pm.

Myrtle

a lot of the men, now buried in Harelbeke, were orginally before buried on local civilian cemeteries and also on german cy (moved to harelbeke in second part of the years 20).

Marc

Mark.

Yes please - a list of the men who came from Marke would be very useful.

I have a list of the Cemeteries, (German Civil and Battlefield) where the men came from who are now buried in Harlebeke.

Thanks you very much.

Jacksmum

And Thanks Myrtle, yes please

Marc

Hi Marc

I shall be pleased to have your list of the men of Marke who were moved to Harlebeke in the 1920s, and any other information you may have of the Harlebeke men.

Sorry I have taken time to reply to you, but I have had problems with my computer - hopefully now sorted out.

Bedanke

Jacksmum.

I post in a few days the listing. I must search for it in all my papers and PC-.files...

with pleasure

Marc

Hi Jacksmum

11205 Pte. Smith, George, Born Ystradfodwg, Glam. Resided Gelli. Enlisted Pentre, Glam.Landed in F/F on 22/05/15 with 5/K.S.L.I. Died 29/9/15. The Ludlow Advertiser 6/11/15 reports him wounded & missing & The Wellington & Shreswbury Journal reports him as a POW. Buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery, Harelbeke (XIII.D.15). Info. from 14-15 Star Medal Roll (records cause of death unknown), Soldiers Died & C.W.G.C. I would guess that he is one of the men moved from German cemetery.

15294 Pte. Smith, Thomas Harold, Born Condover, Shrops. Enlisted Shrewsbury, Shrops. Landed in F/F/ on 05/??/15 and joined 6/K.S.L.I. D. of W. 09/07/16 aged 18, Son of Thomas & Laura of Park Stile Cottage, Condover. Buried Harlebeke New British Cemetery (XIV D 8). Info. from Soldiers Died, C.W.G.C., 1914-15 Star Medal Roll & Victory/British War Medal Rolls. Would like to know if he was also moved from Germen Cemetery because the 6th K.S.L.I. were not stationed in Harlebeke area.

28745 Pte. Carrier, Thomas Edwin, Resided Lozells, Aston, Warks. Enlisted Birmingham, Warks. K.S.L.I. attached to 1/1/Herefords. K. in A. 25/10/18. Aged 21, Son of the late Alfred and Rose Carrier. Formerly 24507 Ox. & Bucks L. I. Buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery (VI. D. 13). Info. from C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died.

28969 Pte. Reed, George, Born Hillmorton, Rugby, Oxfords. Enlisted Rugby, Oxfords. K.S.L.I. attached to 1/1/Herefords. D. of W. 01/11/18 aged 18, Son of Alfred Reed and Mary Ann Reed (nee Preston) of Hillmorton, Rugby. Formerly 11046 Ox. & Bucks L. I. Buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery, Harelbeke (IV. BB. 3). Info. from C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died.

29016 Pte. Parkinson, John, Born Walton-le-Dale, Lancs. Enlisted Preston, Lancs. K.S.L.I. attached to 1/1/Herefords. K. in A. 24/10/18 aged 18, Son of Richard and Annie Parkinson, of 21, Victoria Rd., Walton-le-Dale, Preston, Lancs. Formerly 3/94842 Manchester Regt. Buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery (VI. D. 14). Info. from C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died.

Annette

Hi Jacksmum

11205 Pte. Smith, George, Born Ystradfodwg, Glam. Resided Gelli. Enlisted Pentre, Glam.Landed in F/F on 22/05/15 with 5/K.S.L.I. Died 29/9/15. The Ludlow Advertiser 6/11/15 reports him wounded & missing & The Wellington & Shreswbury Journal reports him as a POW. Buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery, Harelbeke (XIII.D.15). Info. from 14-15 Star Medal Roll (records cause of death unknown), Soldiers Died & C.W.G.C. I would guess that he is one of the men moved from German cemetery.

15294 Pte. Smith, Thomas Harold, Born Condover, Shrops. Enlisted Shrewsbury, Shrops. Landed in F/F/ on 05/??/15 and joined 6/K.S.L.I. D. of W. 09/07/16 aged 18, Son of Thomas & Laura of Park Stile Cottage, Condover. Buried Harlebeke New British Cemetery (XIV D 8). Info. from Soldiers Died, C.W.G.C., 1914-15 Star Medal Roll & Victory/British War Medal Rolls. Would like to know if he was also moved from Germen Cemetery because the 6th K.S.L.I. were not stationed in Harlebeke area.

28745 Pte. Carrier, Thomas Edwin, Resided Lozells, Aston, Warks. Enlisted Birmingham, Warks. K.S.L.I. attached to 1/1/Herefords. K. in A. 25/10/18. Aged 21, Son of the late Alfred and Rose Carrier. Formerly 24507 Ox. & Bucks L. I. Buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery (VI. D. 13). Info. from C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died.

28969 Pte. Reed, George, Born Hillmorton, Rugby, Oxfords. Enlisted Rugby, Oxfords. K.S.L.I. attached to 1/1/Herefords. D. of W. 01/11/18 aged 18, Son of Alfred Reed and Mary Ann Reed (nee Preston) of Hillmorton, Rugby. Formerly 11046 Ox. & Bucks L. I. Buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery, Harelbeke (IV. BB. 3). Info. from C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died.

29016 Pte. Parkinson, John, Born Walton-le-Dale, Lancs. Enlisted Preston, Lancs. K.S.L.I. attached to 1/1/Herefords. K. in A. 24/10/18 aged 18, Son of Richard and Annie Parkinson, of 21, Victoria Rd., Walton-le-Dale, Preston, Lancs. Formerly 3/94842 Manchester Regt. Buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery (VI. D. 14). Info. from C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died.

Annette

Thanks Annette,

All of the men in Harlebeke have been moved there from other places, (German Cemeteries, isolated graves, local Churchyards etc) apart from the few who were buried when the Cemetery began in 1914. It was closed after the Germans went through and they did not use it themselves. More land was given at the end of the war and this is when IWGC "concentrated" the rest of the men there.

This is a list of the places where the came from although we think it is not quite complete...

Ardoye Communal Cemetery

Bergmolen Ger Mil

Beveren German Mil Cem

Bossuyt Churchyard

Burst Com.

Desselghem Chyd

Deynze German

Gheluwe Con & German Mil

Gits Chyd

Gulleghem German Mil Cem

Harlebeke Chyd

Heule German Mil

Hooglede East German Mil

Hoodlede West " "

Hoorbeke Chyd

Inglemunster Ger.Mil

Iseghem Ger.Mil

Kastlehoek "

Klephoek "

Kolenberg "

Kolenberg Forest "

Lauwe "

Ledeghem "

Lendelede Communal

Lichtervelde Ger.Mil

Marcke "

Menin Hospital "

Meulebeke Com

Neuville Com

Pitthem Com

Ram Wood Mil

Rumbeke Ger.Mil

Winkel St. Eloi Hospital Cem

Winkel St.Eloi Ger.Mil Cem

Perhaps you can decide which are the possibilities for your Thomas Harold Smith.

The CWGC are working on a project to scan all these into a new database which will give all the details of previous burial sites for all the Concentration Cemeteries - and they are hoping to have it completed in about 3 years - Three cheers for the CWGC as always.

Jacksmum

28969 Pte. Reed, George, Born Hillmorton, Rugby, Oxfords. Enlisted Rugby, Oxfords. K.S.L.I. attached to 1/1/Herefords. D. of W. 01/11/18 aged 18, Son of Alfred Reed and Mary Ann Reed (nee Preston) of Hillmorton, Rugby.

Sorry to interrupt, but just a small point: Rugby is in Warwickshire. Always has been! (I grew up in Hillmorton.)

George Reed is on the Hillmorton War Memorial, see http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Warwickshire/Hillmorton.html

Regards,

Adrian

GERMAN EHRENFRIEDHOF MARKE Nr 179

(Source: the book “Wereldoorlog 1 – Marke” by Albert Flipts, Michel & Roger Faillie).

I presume that all this allied soldiers died in the local German Lazarett, (=mil. hospital) of Marke.

A lot of Germans are killed during air raids on the local airfields.

British soldiers, initially buried on Ehrenfriedhof Marke, and moved to the “Harlebeke New Cemetery”

1. HYDER, S.A., Pte, 19209, 9th Bn. Surrey Regt, died 8th aug 1917

2. Unidentified, John

3. Unidentified

4. GLAZEBROOK, Bertram, Pte, 27499, 1st Bn. Wiltshire Regt, died 11 may 1918

5. JOHNSTON, William Cameron, Pte, 14337, 4th regt. South African Inf., died 15th april 1918

6. Unidentified

7. COOMBES , W.E., Lce Cpl, 8912, D.C.M., 2nd Bn Worcestershire Regt, died 11th april 1918;

8. EDWARDS, W., Pte, 42700, 4th Bn South Staffordshire Regt, died 18th april 1918

9. RAMSBOTHAM, Roland R., Pte, 240594, 1st/6th Bn. West Yorkshire Regt D.O.W. 27th april 1918

10. KAY, K., Pte, 40818 , 1st Bn East Yorkshire Regt, died 27th april 1918

11. SIGGS, Aubrey Norman, Dvr, 80199, “X” 9th T.M. Bty. Royal Field Artill. D.O.W. 27th april 1918

12. TURNER, A.J. Rfn, 591619, London Irish Rifles, died 9th june 1917.

(German register noted : date of death 11.6.1917)

13. Mc Cray, W., Pte, 50614, 17th Bn The Kings Liverpool Regt., died 20th may 1918

Italian Soldier (POW ) : COLAMBARO , Guiseppe, Reg Fant 280 (280 IR9 Komp) (° Beloiceno, 12.10.1987) died 19.09. 1918. . Moved to Belgian Mil. Cy of Houthulst – Italian Plot.

French Soldier: BOURBIAUX, Louis (°Frechturn 01.02.1891) 416ieme RI 3ieme Cie, died 30.04.1918. Moved to Notre-Dame-de-la-Lorette (Fr) in 1921

German soldiers: 281 (248 identified, + 33 unidentified in 1955 to Ehrenfriedhof Menen Wald):

with pleasure

marc

Hi Jacksmum

The CWGC are working on a project to scan all these into a new database which will give all the details of previous burial sites for all the Concentration Cemeteries

That good news, and look forward to that. Thanks for your list of cemeteries concentrated in Harlebeke, still not sure which Pte. Smith would have been in, so roll on the time when the CWGC finish their project.

Hi Adrian

Rugby is in Warwickshire

Thanks, I do know this but just copy the info. that is recorded in Soldiers Died, I will put it right in my database.

Annette

• 3 weeks later...

My great uncle is buried in Harlebeke. I have a photo of him, the letter from war office regarding both his death and the letter to say a memorial is to be erected in Harlebeke. I have his War Medals record and actually have his medals. He is a Private Robert MacDonald from the Cameron Highlanders. I am brand new to teh forum so what is the best way to send you attachments.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Ian Watson

Ian,

Welcome to the Forum !

Just for your information ... Robert McDonald (that's how CWGC and SDGW spell the name), 223013, born Maxwelltown Kirkcudbrightshire, enlisted Edinburgh, residence Dumfries-Shire, was one of the 14 men of his battalion (5th Cameron Highlanders) who fell that day (12 KIA, 2 Died of Wounds).

I'm sure Jacksmum will reply and tell you how to send her the photo. But as I happen to know she is in the middle of a busy period right now ... :)

Aurel

• 9 months later...

Jacksmum - are you still interested in Harlebeke men? I can give you some details on Lt Hugo Bell Fisher of the 2nd Royal Muster Fusiliers....

Alan

Hello Alan

Yes please all information gratefully accepted - Is he a realtive or part of your research into the RBAI? Do you have a photo - if so send me a pm and I will let you have my email address

thank you very much.

Jacksmum

He is an old boy of RBAI - no picture alas, here is what I have -

Regards

Alan

--

Lieutenant Hugo Bell Fisher - died 23/11/1917

2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers

Hugo was born on 5th April 1897, the only son of Dr. Hugh Fisher and Elizabeth Bell Fisher of 4 College Gardens, Belfast. After Inst, he attending Queen’s University Belfast, where he was a member of the Officer Training Corps.

Hugo was reported as being missing on 10th November 1917, the last day of the Passchendaele campaign, and later discovered to have been taken prisoner. The 2nd Royal Muster Fusiliers were taking part in the 1st Division attack on the Goudberg Ridge. They lost over 400 men that day, in which, for a time, they withheld a German counterattack on a position called Void Farm by throwing mudballs at them. The Germans mistook them for bombs and fell back.

Private Kennedy of the 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers reported -

“I am in “C” Company, No 11 Platoon. Soon after passing the first German lines of trenches right down in the valley, I saw 2nd Lt Fisher lying on the ground on his face with his hands spread out. I passed him and went on.”

Lance Corporal Milos wrote -

“I saw Lt Fisher being hit in the stomach. He fell in his face in the mud and did not stir again.”

Hugo’s mother received a letter from her son on 21st November, sent from Limburg, a clearing station for the wounded. She reported that “he writes very badly that he is feverish and wounded in the left foot.”

Hugo died on 23rd November 1917, at the age of 20, in a German field hospital in Beveren, Belgium, from a shell splinter wound to his left thigh. He was originally buried in the Military Cemetery at Beveren, but was re-interred at Harlebeke New British Cemetery (ref. XI A 8), Flanders, Belgium.

Thank you very much for all of that Alan - much appreciated, and I will send it on to Fhilip in Harlebeke who is the chap co-ordinating it all for the Harlebeke Museum.

ATB Avalon