Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Despatches from German East Africa

KONDOA

A view towards the Uluguru Mountains; the old German Boma is in the rise behind the trees to the centre of the picture. The boma was used as a hospital and on the slopes below was situated the convalescence camp. The Boma is the government offices today.

post-3925-002786600 1283286525.jpg

Morogoro is also notable for having a number of individual, named German graves along with individual grave markers for those unknown.

post-3925-077415200 1283288176.jpg

Roop

Thank you for these excellent photos - I do hope that you find the missing ones.

I have just completed an article covering the death of Captain JFP Butler VC DSO below Kikarungu Hill in the Ulunguru Mountains, so I hope to get that available soon.

Harry

I look forward to reading it Harry.

Next to Dodoma along the Central Railway westwards from Morogoro. I had called at Kilosa en-route and had a long interview by the town police superintendant before permission was sought to photograph the towns remaining architectural antiquities and the railway station. Alas, I no longer have the photographs.

The Central Railway and the towns of Dodoma and Kilosa were captured by DeVenter 2nd South African Division advancing southwards from Kondoa Irangi in July/August 1916.

Dodoma was occupied by South African troops on 29 July 1916, and a casualty clearing station was opened from which burials were made in Dodoma Cemetery. Some graves were brought in from the cemetery after the Armistice from Kilmatinde and Mpapua Cemeteries. The cemetery now contains 121 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, 11 of which are unidentified, and 31 Second World War burials. There is also one non-war grave and eight burials of other nationalities.

post-3925-003900500 1283371253.jpg

The gate is padlocked and CWGC "helpfully" provide a telephone number in Kenya for the number to the combination lock on thier website. This is fine if you have access to the internet, we did not; a quick vault over the gate ensued. Shortly, the gardener arrived and opened the gate for us, and then had his photograph taken on the cross of sacrifice.

post-3925-067109200 1283371392.jpg

There isnt a great deal of gardening to do in the traditional sense. The cemetery is , however, a tidy and well maintained place.

post-3925-069916700 1283371826.jpg

The cemetery predominantly comprises of South African graves. There are a few anomalies which may provide both interest and an overview of the diverse nature of the force in German East Africa.

Captain J MacQueen. MC.

2nd Rhodesia Regiment.

post-3925-006880500 1283372174.jpg

From late 1916 throughout 1917 and 1918 the British Force was substantially the Gold Coast and Nigerian Regiment's along with the expanded Kings African Rifles. This expansion required experienced NCO's and Officers, many of whom were posted from various regiments to East Africa. Here we see a few examples from the Denbiegh Yeomanry, Cameron Highlanders and the Yorkshire Regiment.

post-3925-061538600 1283372488.jpg

Intriguing to see the photograph of Captain James MacQueen's grave (died 14 December 1917) in the cemetery at Dodoma. Intriguing as he was clearly no spring chicken at 59. His Commonwealth War Graves Commission entry records him as mentioned in previous Despatches (Basuto and South African Campaigns). Noticeable too because of his still being in the 2nd Rhodesia Regiment in late 1917. Worn down by disease and lack of replacements the Regiment is ordered home on 29th March 1917 to be officially disbanded on 12th October 1917. So what was McQueen doing in Dodoma when most of his colleagues were back home and his Regiment no more? Finally of intrigue is where he won his Military Cross. Lieutenant Colonel Capell's 'The 2nd Rhodesia Regiment in East Africa' reports the following:

"On Thursday, 16th September [1915], information was received confidentially that an attack was to be made on Longido by troops under Colonel Jolly [Jollie]. 'A' and 'D' Companies were ordered to Bissel to act as reserve, and left under command of Capt. Dunn, together with two machine guns under Sergt. Blair.

Only one officer - Captain McQueen – of the 2nd Rhodesia Regiment took part in the raid on Longido just referred to – he earned there a Military Cross. It would appear that from 200 to 300 mounted men and some King's African Rifles attacked for some reason or other the strong and entrenched position of Longido."

An excellent account of the action at Longido West involving the East African Mounted Rifles and 3rd King's African Rifles can be found under Harry's Africa on the trenchfighter website (Great War Forum post on 29/06/09 and link below). The Military Cross won by Lieutenant Thomas Wilson is mentioned but not McQueen's. Indeed other than Capell's book I can find no reference to McQueen being there and winning his Military Cross. The 2nd Rhodesia Regiment War Diary in the National Archive is of little help as it starts in November 1915. The award is reported in the London Gazette on 2 February 1916, as is Wilson's, but with no citation. He gets a further Mentioned in Despatches on 30 January 1917.

Capell goes on to comment:

"The result was veiled in mystery and as little possible talked about. We heard nothing of the affair officially, but a sentence in my diary reflects the thoughts of the troops, just the ordinary fighting men at the time; it reads: "Surely someone will be Stellenbosched."

This fits in with Harry's article recording British Military Headquarters hushing up details of the action at Longido West on 20 September 1915 in order not to damage morale.

Capell frequently mentions the same officers throughout his book but McQueen gets just the one solitary and rather begrudging entry. Was there some tension and rivalry here? McQueen was clearly an experienced soldier and there may have been some jealousy over the Military Cross. More to the point what was McQueen doing riding off with the East African Mounted rifles in the first place? And the last word goes to Capell who as the Regiment heads home comments "Captain Tribe and many non-commissioned officers and men remained behind, some joining the King's African Rifles, others the Intelligence or some other Department." There is no mention of Captain James McQueen M.C. doing likewise.

Thanks for the photograph Roop. Amazing what interest a single image can spark, for me at least!

james w

References

'The 2nd Rhodesia Regiment in East Africa' by Lieutenant Colonel Algernon Essex. Capell, 1923 (Naval and Military Press reprint 2006).

Longido West

I became intrigued about James MacQueen also, and would really like to know more about his role at Longido and his gallantry that led to the award of the Military Cross.

I used The Great War History of 3KAR and The Story of The East African Rifles as the foundations for my article, but neither mentions MacQueen.

I can only guess that he was working with Masai Scouts during the abortive Longido operation.

I believe that when he died he was on extra-regimental duties, perhaps as a Post Commandant or perhaps working with Scouts.

He certainly wanted to stay on in-theatre, and at his age that was very commendable.

Harry

• 2 months later...

To be updated April 2011, previous pictures lost on hard drive.

Habari Mzee

Hamjambo, mabwana

My first post here ........ although I have been doing some reading of posts on the forum -- especially noting recommended titles for reading / study

Fantastic series of posts and journey in this thread.

I am a South African so this part of the WW I is very interesting to me as it is so close to home ( figuratively and litteraly )

I am also very interested in seeing some other parts of Africa and Tanzania certainly warrants closer attention. ( von Lettow-Vorbeck rather than "Ujamaa" :) )

Looking at the photos of the terrain I can see bits that look a lot like GWA especially the dry areas -- there are other comparisons -- modern African battles for one.

To get back to the bit I quoted -- and directed at "Kondoa" ........

Does this indicate another trip to Tanzania ( GEA) in 2011 ???? -- so many questions I would like to ask.

Asante

Kwa herini

Karibu Mwalimu,

I may make it down to TZ later in the year depending upon work schedule.

I would like to get back to Morogoro and down to the Mgeta but will have to see what time is available. Also need to get the war grave photos in Iringa.

Roop

Karibu Mwalimu,

I may make it down to TZ later in the year depending upon work schedule.

I would like to get back to Morogoro and down to the Mgeta but will have to see what time is available. Also need to get the war grave photos in Iringa.

Roop

Asante

Jambo

Does this forum have any sort of PM (Personal Message ) facility :?:

Have all those questions -- but a lot would be OT to the main focus ( although indirectly relevant )

Just thinking about the war time flying -- not "West with the Night" -- or Dennis Finch-Hatton

Have to look that up here or start a new thread.

TZ by air ........ MMMmmm -- Bia baridi :D

As always, thoroughly enjoy seeing the photos of your latest travels. Dodoma Cemetery reminds me of the isolated one in Tunisia we visited, which was all white stones as the lake flooded it regularly. As always tidily kept, but very different to most which have grass, plants, trees, flowers and herbs.

BTW Have you ever thought of travelling to Mozambique?

Cheers

Shirley

Hi Shirley, would love to go to Mozambique but have no immediate plans to do so. One day maybe get down to the Rovuma and see where Von Lettow slipped away from DeVenter in 1917.

Roop

Whenever you decide to do a trip there Roop, please let us know, it is one place Chris really wants to go, tracing where his uncle fought and ending up in Lumbo Cemetery, and I sure would like the company of a seasoned traveller :)

Cheers

Shirley