Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Despatches from German East Africa

KONDOA

The next few pictures represent for me the highlight of my wanderings. It is to my amazement that 92 years after the battle of Tanga the key buildings and positions remain in most respects untouched.

The Redhouse - used for both communication and as a field hopspital.

The Whitehouse also a key point for communication and where Meinhertzagen slept on the lawn during the battle.

The Ditch - where so many soldiers were killed.

The Railway cutting - the main german defensive position.

The ditch , the furthest position held in force by the attackers. This is a few tens of yards in front of the german positions in the railway cutting.

post-3925-1242905516.jpg

That for now Chums is all the pictures that relate directly to the Great war in German East Africa. I hope it gives the casual viewer an insight into this forgotten and little visited area.

Inevitably for some of you this will be new, for others it may lead to your reading more and then perhaps understanding the pictures posted better than I can or my time allows.

Merry Christmas to All.

Roop

Roop

This has been an interesting thread to follow. Being able to put an image to, what up till now has been just a name has been great. Seeing what the landscape looks like now has also helped me better visualise what the men in East Africa were up against (in addition to being shot at and suffering from some nasty diseases), well done!!!

Already looking forward to next year's installment.

Regards

Steve

Well hopefully Steve I shall try next year to fill a few bigger gaps and try and understand the actions we know very little of.

Roop

Fascinating pictures Roop. Sounds like a great trip, to a place that looks far too nice to kill people at. I look forward to learning more.

• 1 year later...

Roop,

two years after its all on the Forum I find your wonderful details of your amazing trip to GEA and BEA. thbe photos are great. I have only recently acccepted I cannot research SA soldiers without having to 'do' the East African campaign and so am now delving in - your photos make it all look justs like the countryside from whidch the South Africanhs came - scrub, red sand, thron bushes, dry rivers, hills and kopjes etc etc. And I had somehwo thought it would all be so differnt -a dn 'foreign'.

I am tracking the journey from Kilindini, voi, Moshi, Kondoa, Dodoma, Mpwpwa - Kilossa to the Ruaha river ande then death in Lipili. Anything else you didnt post????

Thanks so much

Kathie

Hello Kathie,

Unfortunately I didnt get this last year as I changed jobs. I didnt get to Dodoma last time but it is still on the cards this year to follow the advance of the 2nd Division to Kilosa and Morogoro.

I did get to Pretoria though:

Which unit was your man with? I may have something to add to your research depending when and where he was etc.

Roop

• 1 month later...

Roop,

I am currently researching the East Africa Campaign...your trip journal and pictures really made the books I'm reading come alive. Thanks for posting everything!

Lionel

Roop,

I have been very much offline as I have been posted on circuit duty very much south of home in Vereeniging - treaties in the boer War I think - and so have been a bit out of touch.

My chap was grahame Munro who served in the South African Cyyclists - I managed to sneak a day off to get to the SADF a doc centre in Pretoria and first ordered all the wrong files which took up most of the day and then worked out the system and ordered the war diaries etc for the Cyclists. Quite a lot in the them which I just photod and have not yet put into my computer to read.

However, your pictures have made me a bit ashamed that I have frequently visited my soliders in France and Belgium but none of them in East Africa. I am thinking I must do a trip.

Questions: 1. when is best time to go. 2. How uncomfortable (?) is travelling round if I wanted to retrace Moshi down to the Ruaha with Kondoa in betweeen. 3) is it expensive to hire a 4 x 4 5) how safe would a woman be without a local guide etc. 6) I could probably get some kind of em bassy assistance but theyre not going to want to trek round so I wondered if I should hunt for a travel firm that offers local guides/ Advice generally appreciated. I actually have a couple3 of weeks this July when I will be free and not going to the Western Front. next year its France again - I feel that the Dixon brothers, Noel Robinson, Yum Munro and my unresearched great uncle Alex Beaton all deserve a very belated visit.

Kathie

1. when is best time to go.

Rains are normally finished by May so July is not too bad but hot, second rainy season starts in around December so November is also good.

2. How uncomfortable (?) is travelling round if I wanted to retrace Moshi down to the Ruaha with Kondoa in betweeen.

Moshi has several good standard hotels and has a good climate and services etc. The route to Kondoa is probably best started from Arusha to make a shorter day the day of travel to Kondoa. Arusha has some hotels of international standard of varying cost. The road to Kondoa is very rough and tiring, so a long day is expected with stop offs at Lolkissali and later Babati for a beer and lunch and possibly a stop at Ufiome mission as desired. Hotels in Kondoa are quite basic but clean and comfortable enough given ones situation and provide cold beer and basic meals, power cuts are a feature of a stay there. The hotels have secure compounds for parking trucks etc. You ideally need a couple of days at Kondoa to fully explore the town and the positions. Beware if wandering around the positions as lions etc are still visitors to the area which is relatively remote.

The route from Kondoa to Dodoma is very rough but passable but time will need allowinbg for this leg of the journey. Dodoma has many good hotels as does Morogoro. Journey time between the two towns is unknown at this time as the road condition may not be very good. Towards the Ruaha I would expect accomodation to be in one of the safari camps given the lack of towns and villages.

3) is it expensive to hire a 4 x 4

Ideally it is cheaper if a group can share for obvious reasons. Unfortunately it is uncommon to find anyone interested in heading to Kondoa as most tourists head for Ngorongoro/ Serengeti etc. Costs vary with season and availablility but probably around $200 a day at the minute including driver.

5) how safe would a woman be without a local guide etc.

Tanzania is generally a safe country, the worst place I have seen is Arusha which has been corrupted by the tourist industry. Outside in the country the people are very friendly and hospitable. Ideally though, because of the language it is best to have a guide of some description. There are no signposts and navigation can be a a bit haphazard.

6) I could probably get some kind of em bassy assistance but theyre not going to want to trek round so I wondered if I should hunt for a travel firm that offers local guides

You would be well advised to use a reputable and highly trustworthy hire company that already knows the area , I recommend :

Roop

• 1 year later...

Chums,

Two years and 4 months after my first foray to German East Africa I was fortunate enough to revisit these last few weeks. Previously my route was very much that folowed by DeVenters 2nd Division during Gen Smuts campaign of early 1916. On this visit I was able to retrace the route of the mainly British and Empire troops of the 1st Division on their advance into GEA and down the Pangani River during which they cleared the Pare and Usumbara mountains of German forces.

I hope you enjoy the following snippets and that your interest in the East African theatre of war is kindled by the images. I refer you also to my fellow researcher Harry Fecitt's (bushfighter) thread which offers more detail of specific events.

Roop

First a modern map of part of Tanzania (GEA) showing the main route south eastwards from the Kilimanjaro region down the Pangani plain to Korogwe. This was the area of General Smuts main adavnce during May 1916 from their positions near Kahe where they had remained throughout the spring rainy season.

post-3925-1240519589.jpg