Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Despatches from German East Africa

KONDOA

Msinga Hill, reached by Gen Sheppard on 23rd June 1916 where his force rested on the second day of marching from Handeni to the Lukigura River. (Map post 148)

post-3925-1240959225.jpg

Hallo Roop,

exellent report and wonderfull photos. Sorry to interrupt your way with a short question.

Have you seen a cemetery or graves in Kondoa Irangi?

5laof9.jpg

Cheers

Holger

Hello Holger,

The graves from Kondoa Irangi were moved to Dar es Salaam because maintenance was difficult in Kondoa.

I have not seen any remains of a cemetery in Kondoa, I suspect it will be outside the town if it still exists as the hospital was moved from the church to a tented hospital in May 1916.

Roop

Hello Roop,

Thanks a lot for this information. I will look then in Dar. (Next time I will invite you there to a cold beer = maji dawa jangu)

Cheers

Holger

I am another who has a great interest in this whole area of operations, and very much enjoying this epic journey!

Thank you Roop

Cheers

Shirley

The pursuit from Handeni continued until Smuts scouts and air reconnaisance found the German forces in position behind the Lukiguru River. Smuts, split his force, sending Hoskins in a wide outflanking march from near Kwa Negero ( map post 148). Sheppard would advance frontally against the position with the intent on putting on a show until Hoskins force (25th Fusiliers, LNLR MG section, 2nd Kashmirs etc) could be in position.

It was one of the few occassions in the whole campaign where the enemy were unprepared for such a move and the resulting bayonet charge by the 25th Fusiliers was soon joined by the Kashmiris and even the mountain battery personel resulting in the enemy force fleeing in confusion from the position.

This is a rather simplified description of events, Angus Buchanna "Three Years of War in East Africa" descrbes the role of Hoskins force admirably. I attach a map courtesy of the OH for some further guidance.

post-3925-1241555299.jpg

Now, the area is still densely bushed as in 1916. Furthermore, I am not sure that the road at this point exactly matches its 1916 position , to get to the point, I found it very difficult to accurately locate the enemy positions and the positions of Sheppards force etc during my brief visit. The terrain was in most places obscured and thus the following photographs can only be taken as typical scenery at this time. My chum Harry may hopefully enlighten us further when he visits the area later in the year and spends more time in this area than my visit would allow.

Lukigura Bridge crossed by the Punjabis

Lukigura River looking westwards towards the enemy positions (not visible).

post-3925-1241555925.jpg

post-3925-1241555993.jpg

At Lukigura River, Smuts' troops rested whilst they were resupplied and reinforcements sent forward.

At this juncture, the Third Division (Gen. Brits) including the 2nd Mounted Brigade that had arrived in June had marched along the Pangani, camped at German Bridge and was concentrated near the Lukigura in early August 1916. This advance, accompanied by one section of the Hull Heavy Battery, had cost Smuts dearly, Brits lost 50 horses a day to fly and sickness, by the time they arrived, the mounted troops were marching along with the rest of the force. The Union subsequently shipped 1000 horses a month to East Africa to make up losses.

The lukigura provided the army with good water supplies but better camp grounds could be had some miles further on the Msiha River and thus a large component of Smuts force moved to the Msiha.

The Msiha position is overlooked to the south west by the range of hills behind Kanga village. The enemy occupied these hills, once again in enviable positions for observation, and soon were able to bring to bear their long range naval guns upon the Msiha Camp. This quickly became known as "Shell Camp" and a miserable and dangerous time was endured for many weeks by the troops there. Again I refer the reader to "Three Years of War in East Africa" by Buchanan.

So, we have next photographs of the Msiha Bridge, Msiha River and the Kanga hills to the southwest. Followed by the village today which would appear to have been established on the site of the old "Shell Camp".

post-3925-1241557011.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Msiha Village, possibly the site of the old "Shell Camp".

Hello Roop, exellent info and wondeful photos!

By the position at Lukigura River at 24th June, the German defenders was the detachment by

Captain Robert Doering (1/FK, 5/Sch.K. + 7/Sch.K.) with 74 Europeans and 408 Askari.

From 25th June to 5th August 1916 the German long range Artillery near Kanga Hill was:

one 10,5-cm-SK L/40 (4,13 in) by Corvette Captain Werner Schoenfeld

one 8,8-cm-SK L/30 (3,46 in) by Lieutenant Leopold Sternheim

From the 25th July 1916 up a second "Koenigsberg" gun shelled Mlembule = "Shell Camp"

one 10,5-cm-SK L/40 (4,13 in) by Officer Designate Hermann von Nippold

(All have been originally navy guns from the german light cruiser "Koenigsberg")

Greetings

Holger

"the vital matter of water supply had made it necessary to go on at least to the Lukigura...... On arrival there it was found that better camping ground existed along the Msiha, eaight miles ahead, and on the 5th July an advance was made, unopposed, to establish at the crossing of that river a standing camp, officially named Makindu or Mshiha Camp".

Msiha Camp was named by the Germans as Mlembule. (OH P307 Ft 4).

Kanga Hill south and west of the Msiha

post-3925-1242762041.jpg

Smut's force remained in camp on the Msiha and dispersed along the Lukigura between early July and the first week of August 1916. During this time the German artillery fired in the order of 570 rounds into the camp and its communications causing 60 casualties.

The advance from the Msiha skirted the east of the high ridges of Kanga which overlooked the main route southwards. To prevent the obvious outflanking opportunity provided to the enemy from their position Smut's decided to outflank the Kanga position with his force to preclude this occurence. Thus General Brits South African force of mounted and infantry that had by this date joined the main force on the Lukigura was ordered forward into the Nguru mountains whilst a demonstration was made by Smuts main force against Ruhungu, the main enemy position some few miles along the southward route of advance beyond Msiha. The advance resumed on the 5th August 1916 but the attack on Ruhungu was delayed through circumstances and the enemy had withdrawn southwards from the Nguru Mountains through Turiani towards Morogoro.

post-3925-1242763481.jpg

" held up at Turiani before which flows the large River Mwuhe, where two bridges had been blown up to block our passage". A Buchanan, Three Years of War in East Africa.

Rice growing near Turiani

"We have now descended into low, unhealthy marsh country, where the atmosphere is close and damp, and fly ridden". A Buchanan, Three Years of War in East Africa.

The view towards Morogoro from Turiani.

post-3925-1242764491.jpg

post-3925-1242764721.jpg

post-3925-1242764800.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having read so much about Shell Camp it is fascinating to finally see photographs of the site today. I have often wondered what it looked like and given the site was occupied for months whether anything visible was left.

Top of the list for me would be the Commanding Officer of the 2nd Rhodesia Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel A.E. Capell's personal dug-out. Peter McLaughlin in his book 'Ragtime Soldiers - The Rhodesian Experience in the First World War' quotes (but doesn't reference the source) a Private (Horace William) Davey describing how Capell dug himself the strongest dug-out in the camp with three or four layers of logs and a deep earth covering. Davey himself a veteran of the Boer War comments "I must say it is not an example I should care to give if I were at the head of a body of men." Still it kept the German shells out.

Capell himself in a classic piece of understatement writes of his time at Shell Camp "So from July 7th till August 7th we endured this bombardment, daily and reluctantly making our dug-outs a little bit deeper."

Oh well I guess judging from the excellent photographs above it has gone for ever unless it now forms a cellar under one of the houses! Thanks Roop for these pictures.

james w

References

'Ragtime Soldiers - The Rhodesian Experience in the First World War' by Peter McLaughlin, Books of Zimbabwe, Bulawayo, 1980

'The 2nd Rhodesia Regiment in East Africa' by Lieutenant Colonel Algernon Essex Capell, 1923 (Naval and Military Press reprint 2006).

Another good snippet there James.

I am sure if one had sufficient time and the constitution one could rake about in the bush and find something of the old camp; it would be a fair undertaking though after 90 years of regrowth and other activity.

Thanks for the book references too, I may order those if still available.

Roop

hello Roop

The Naval & Military Press still sell copies of Capell's book on the 2nd Rhodesia Regiment. If you don't have the link try the one below.

Naval & Military Press

Books of Zimbabwe used to have copies of McLaughlin's 'Ragtime Soldiers' (where I got my copy form) but couldn't see it their when last I looked. Try this link anyway.

Books of Zimbabwe

Both books are quite slender volumes but are worth reading and contain snippets and accounts I've not come across elsewhere. Capell's includes a list of all the soldiers who served in the 2nd Rhodesia Regiment in East Africa. Francis Brett Young gets a passing mention. McLaughlin covers more than just East Africa including the home front in Rhodesia and the Western Front where many Rhodesians ultimately ended up. The only frustration is he doesn't reference his sources.

Hope this helps.

regards

james w

• 3 weeks later...

Chums,

Continuing from post 166: I have recovered some pictures of Morogoro Cemetery so the main pictures missing from this saga are those of the actions at the Wami River.

Morogoro Cemetery:

Morogoro was occupied by Commonwealth forces on the 26 August 1916 and the German civil cemetery was taken over for Commonwealth war burials. Between the beginning of September 1916 and January 1919, 177 burials were carried out by the five medical units which were posted in the town and which were, at the outset, assisted by German medical personnel and civilians. After the Armistice, 169 graves were brought in from other burial grounds, including the following: BUKU BUKU (or DINA BUKU) GRAVES, between Morogoro and the Mwuha river. The place was occupied in September 1916 and a medical unit was posted there. DAKAWA (WAMI RIVER), between Morogoro and Handeni. DUTHUMI MILITARY CEMETERY, between Morogoro and the Rufiji. The place was captured in September, 1916. KIKEO ROAD CEMETERY, near Kisaki. RUFIJI RIVER CEMETERY, near Chogowali. TULO CEMETERY, on the Mikese-Duthumi road. The place was occupied in September 1916. There are now 384 Commonwealth burials of the First World War in the cemetery, 4 of which are unidentified. There are 9 non Commonwealth burials here, including 5 unidentified.

post-3925-051945200 1283284229.jpg

As seen at other cemeteries e.g. Moshi, the Indian Army casualties are commemorated with a dedicated memorial.

post-3925-034293600 1283284647.jpg