Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guest KevinEndon

Mon 6th March 1916.

Reveille 6am. Exercise 6:30. Stables 9:30-10:30 feed (12 standing orders). On ammunition guard to station.

Guest KevinEndon

Tue 7th March 1916.

Reveille 5:30 Exercise etc. On line guard, had two letters from home. Very hot, rifle inspection.

Guest KevinEndon

Wed 8th March 1916.

Reveille 5:30 tea at 5:30. Squadron drill 6am till 8. Breakfast 8:30. Very hot. Stables 9:30 – 10:30 water and fed 12. Sword inspection 4:45.

Guest KevinEndon

Thurs 9th March 1916.

Reveille as usual. News of Col Clowes death, C Squad ordered away to Ajab. Orderly troop.

This is a major blow to the Staffs Yeo. Maybe Steve could add to it please.

Mate,

We have discussed the death of LtCol Clowes before.

He died on 8th March 1916 in Cairo from illness.

Ernest has mentioned before that Heywood, G P Lieutenant Colonel had taken command of the Regt in Feb when LtCol Clowes went to hosp but the Unit history had Lt-Col Bromley Davenport taking command untill the 13th March 1916 when he left to take command of Brigade, LtCol Heywood replaced him then.

I can only reflect that the unit history is not what happened on the ground, not the first time I've seen that.

As to C Sqn the unit history has this;

"9 March 1916

C Squadron (6 officers, 135 men, 143 horses) left for El Azab, to entrain for Wadi Natrun".

S.B

Guest KevinEndon

Cheers Steve, the diary may well read Azab not Ajab.

Double entry today as I am going North to see Celtic take on and defeat the Rangers tomorrow at Paradise (parkhead) 12.30 kick off. Bring back Saturday football with 3pm kick offs.

Fri 10th March 1916.

Reveille etc. as usual general fat shifting C squads tents. W Siddenham attach D squad. On guard to C squad stores.

Sat 11th March 1916.

Reveille as usual. Selection of rein outs about 30 per squad. General ammunition inspection had drill tunic from S.M.

Mate,

I should have warned you that I am no expert of the Stafford Yeomanry Regt so when I say I think the man given by Ernest is;

Sidebotham, Bertie W

Staffordshire Yeomanry 301583 Private

Corps of Hussars 301583

I can not confirm that other then his is the closest name to that given by Ernest.

S.B

Good thread Kevin. Keep it going -still trying to work out the exercise on blankets bit.

Ali

Since none of the other horsemen seem to have jumped in....this just means they only used the saddle blanket on the horse, not the actual saddle, for their mounted exercise. More work for the rider but much cooler and a bit less load on the horse in such a hot climate. Definitely points up who ranks where in a mounted regiment.

Jane

Guest KevinEndon

Thanks Jane, a problem solved, as for Steves reply, you may not class yourself as an expert but I guess you are bloody dambed clever fellow and your comments are always most welcome.

Here is todays entry

Sun 12th March 1916.

Reveille 6am. No exercise. Stables 6:30-7:30. Finish. Col left and took up Brigadier duties, on night guard on line guard and orderly troop.

Guest KevinEndon

Mon 13th March 1916.

Reveille as usual. Exercise stables 9:30-10:30. On fatigues moving forage. Engineers at work wiring camp in.

Guest KevinEndon

Tue 14th March 1916.

Reveille and Exercise as usual. C Grocott found snake in nose bag. Kept in petrol and sent it home. Issued with helmets.

Guest KevinEndon

Wed 15th March 1916.

Reveille and exercise as usual. Getting monotonous. Some vaccinated, me finish. J Page in hospital fever.

Kev,

Mate I can't find any J. Page in the Staffords but there is a;

Page, Frederick A

Staffordshire Yeomanry 3153 Private

Corps of Hussars 300450 Private

Could that "J" be a "F" by chance?

S.B

Guest KevinEndon

Again Steve your knowledge is fantastic and probably right, Milwards writing is terrible as DougII should testify.

Here is todays entry.

Thurs 16th March 1916.

Up 4:15. Move off 5:30 Cossack post good day camel guard both ways rather cloudy. Natives played flute on the way and danced on top of camel while on move.

Guest KevinEndon

Sat 18th March 1916.

Exercise etc very windy all day could not see for sand. Slight rain at night slept in tent dismounted parade.

Guest KevinEndon

Mon 20th March 1916.

Reveille 5.30 went on patrol to El Hamuli at 6am. returning 8.30. stables usual, rifle and bandolier inspection, orderly troop, on piquet Prince of Wales Ajab

Guest KevinEndon

Tue 21st March 1916.

Came in from piquet 7:30. Stables 9:30-10:30. all horses were malined. Very hot, flies a nuisance sunrise 6.5 am on day line guard.

Guest KevinEndon

Wed 22nd March 1916.

Reveille 5:30. No exercise stable 6am-7:30. Cleaned saddle. Rifle and bandolier inspection issued with helmet.

Guest KevinEndon

Thurs 23rd March 1916.

Exercise for squad troop drill for D troop 6am. remount a bit rough. Measured for new tags, sword and bayonet.

Guest KevinEndon

Special treat for those who are enjoying the thread. I am placing a weeks worth of diary entries due to being absent from my computer. Enjoy.

Please let me know if a week at a time, say Saturday to Saturday is better or keep it as day to day entries.

Fri 24th March 1916.

Stayed in stable 9:30-10:30. Rifle and bandolier, on night piquet 1st relief orderly troop.

Sat 25th March 1916.

Exercise 6am. Dismounted parade 10am. Complemented best troop. Stables 10:45-11:45. Feed and water 12:30.

Sun 26th March 1916.

Reveille 5:30. No exercise stables 6am-7:30. Had a parcel from home very nice. Had order to move of at 7:30 so meet convoy. Came back next morning nothing doing on sentry all night very cold no enemy in sight. 1 hour sleep and did 7 hours guard. No blanket or coat very cold.

Mon 27th March 1916.

Arrive camp 7:30. Water and feed stables 9:30-10:30. Rifle and bandolier inspection 4:45 turned out for all night 2 hours on and 2 off 4 hours sleep.

Tue 28th March 1916.

Camp in 7 am. Feed straight away, stables 10-11 rifle bandolier inspection 9:45.

Wed 29th March 1916.

Reveille 5am. routine exercise 6:30. Stables 7:30 water and feed 8:30 breakfast rifle and bandoliers inspection 9:45 water 10am. Turned out 7:30 all night 4 ½ hours sleep.

Thurs 30th March 1916.

Returned 7:30 groomed at once, feed 8:30 sword and bayonet inspection 9:45 water 10am. Turned out 7:30 all night 4 hours sleep very cold and windy. Were reserves.

Fri 31st March 1916.

Came in 7:30 groomed and fed 8:30 breakfast. Rifle and bandolier inspection water and feed 12:30. On patrol 7:20 pm 3 hours on guard 3 miles from camp very tired 4 hours sleep.

Guest KevinEndon

Hi readers I am back after my fantastic trip to the Somme with the posse.

I will stick to day by day accounts

Sat 1st April 1916.

Moved away from outpost 4:30 am groomed and feed 7:30 sword and bayonet inspection. First night of sports much fun.