Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mate,

"Buckshi"

It is an Arab word often used by these soldiers that served in Egypt.

My Grand father and father were fond of using it and the word is "Buckshee" meaning free or for notting. I also understand it to be some form of money.

Now anyone with an arab book can give you the correct spelling for this.

Cheers

S.B

Guest KevinEndon

Buckshi is a common word still used in Scotland but this is the first time I have had to spell it. It does mean as far as I guess as spare or not needed. Online dictionary has it as buckshee. 1. Something extra or left over that is obtained free.

2. An extra ration.

Tue 4th January. 1916.

Rained all day. Exercised horses along with several other troops. Came in about 3pm soaked through. Had 1½ ptrea each from Mr. Loveridge.

Could a pal tell me who this Mr. Loveridge may be, strange there is no rank but his name appears quite a lot in the diary and usually associated with generosity.

Mate,

I can find no one by that name in the Stafford Yeomanry but there is a 2/Lt in the RAF who came from the Berkshire Yeomanry;

James Horrace Loveridge

I don't think there the same sorry.

S.B

Guest KevinEndon

Wed 5th January. 1916.

Cold and wet, exercise on blankets, inspection of rifles, swords, bandoliers, bayonets and spurs. Poor food (on guard).

What exactly is exercise on blankets? Could it be that they used blankets instead of saddles on the horses.

Guest KevinEndon

Nothing found to the 11th Londons yet but as you are aware there is a minefield of stuff to plough through. Anyway here is todays entry from 1916.

Thurs 6th January. 1916.

Warmer and dry weather, saddle inspection.

Mr Loveridge giving away "ptrea/s".

What are these? Some denomination of money? Piastres?

Compare this diary of the AIF en route to and in Egypt

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:c3l7nU...t=clnk&cd=1

Guest KevinEndon

They are Egypts money as indicated, a google search shows that 100 piastres is a Egyptian pound. Miward must have abreviated the word.

Fri 7th January 1916.

Reveille 6am. Exercise on blankets etc. Orders at night to prepare to move on the 8th. Started to rain at night.

Guest KevinEndon

Sat 8th January 1916.

Reveille 5 am. A wicked morning. Ready to move by 7:30 am. but orders cancelled through Fayoum road being flooded and impassable. Hard day cleaning and exercised in marching order.

Kev,

I mentioned these people at the last S/Staffs pals meeting.

Your collection is such a rare insight into this part of WW1 that you may wish to shell out a few quid to spread the word and capture it all in print for everyone

Worth a look here;

http://www.pabd.co.uk/

Guest KevinEndon

Cheers for that Graham, I have looked into it but its early doors for that yet, I have a lot of material to go through and place into order before I even go to the first meeting with the publisher but your link will come in handy and many thanks for it. I will bring the box of tricks along with me at the next meeting.

Guest KevinEndon

Sun 9th January 1916.

Rev 6. Billet orderly, stayed away from church in order to have boots mended. Boots not done. Packed saddle ready for morning.

Guest KevinEndon

Mon 10th January 1916.

Rev. 5 am. Saddled up and moved away by 07.30. Our squadron arrived Kasr El Gabali at 2.30 after 90 mile ride. Groomed horses before dinner.

Please confirm Kasr El Gabali or feel free to correct the spelling for me.

Hope you are all enjoying this thread.

Kevin

Guest KevinEndon

Here is the next days events in the life of a Staffs Yeomanry soldier soon to be 10 coy Imperial Camel Corps.

Wed 12th January 1916.

Reveille 05:30. Stand to as usual, long ride through native villages, rotten sight. Very hot but interesting.

Guest KevinEndon

Would still love to know what exercised on blankets means, as I had 3 different pm's saying what it is but nothing deffinate. Antway here's todays entry.

Thurs 13th January 1916.

Reveille and stand to as usual. Exercise on blankets.

Kevin

Guest KevinEndon

Brilliant Soren, I like it loads.

Here is todays entry

Fri 14th January 1916.

Extra cold this morning. 15 mile ride through villages where we dismounted chat with natives.

Guest KevinEndon

Here is this dates entry from 1916.

Sat 15th January 1916.

Exercise on Blankets after breakfast. Stayed in and cleaned up lines and saddlery. Sgt Wade returned to camp from Cairo Hospital.

Guest KevinEndon

Sgt Wade is not on Stevebeckers list on page 2. Maybe he could enlighten us to who Sgt Wade was that it was important for Milward to put it in his diary.

Kevin

Mate,

At this stage of the game young Milward is still in the Yeomanry and has not gone into the Camel Corps as yet.

Hence his name would not be on the list which are the known? soldiers that crossed to the Camel Corps from that Yeomanry Regt.

The 8th Company was raised around March 1916 so we have some time to go before they get to the Camel Corps.

But to help you Sgt Wade is;

Sgt Sydney J. Wade Staffordshire Yeomanry (2444) and Hussars (300026).

There is no record of this Sgt wade being in the Camel Corps.

Cheers

S.B

Guest KevinEndon

Brilliant reply Steve many thanks.

Sun 16th January 1916.

Reveille 05:30. Stand to at 05:45. Breakfast 7am. 10 men out of troop went across Luvian desert. I went exercise on blanket missed a good ride to the camel corps (native) on piquet.

Please confirm Luvian as it's not too clear in the diary.

Kevin.

Mate,

I am unsure about the name but it could be Libyan desert?

But this is from the front of Chris site on the Stafford Yeomanry Regt during that time and covers the other name you were unsure about;

"3 January 1916

Marched to Tamia, via Fayum, El Maslub, Matar tares road. Over 21 miles. Cool day. Reutuned to Deir al Azab next day, by a longer route of 24 miles. Cool day. Roads in poor condition after rain.

10 January 1916

HQ and B and C Squadrons moved to Abu Gandir, D to Kasr el Gebazi. (In this period there is much route marching, patrolling, etc. On 30 January, the regiment is inspected by Major General W.E. Peyton). Returned to Deir al Azab on 7 February."

So by the above record young Milward would have been in D Sqn 1/1st Stafford Yeomanry Regt.

The use of the Camel Corps soldier (native) could be from the Bikanir Camel Corps an Indian unit given by the Sultan of that country to Britian for use in Egypt.

Cheers

S.B

Guest KevinEndon

Again Steve brilliant reply, many thanks.

Mon 17th January 1916.

Came off piquet, feeling unwell. Did not go out on exercise was off my food. Very bad at night.