Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

2 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

Went to the Norwich library to ask about the great war official history  only to be told "we got rid of it some time ago" so i went and purchased my own !the last place my books will end up when i depart this mortal coil will be a library !  

I always ponder on the  memorial registers i purchased {the only copies i would imagine }

The old Norfolk and Norwich Library was a tad different-but the same end result. Following the damage from fire???/water??, which wrote-off a small portion of the stock, then the local worthies got a tranche of money for a nice,new library.   And the last thing you want in a nice, new library is all those grubby,dirty,germ-ridden old books spoiling it. Thus, N and N did what has happened very often- a nice new "Idea Store" and the first  idea is that idiots dump the bookstock- it might get in the way if the new library is up for an architecture award (No names,no pack drill-Tower Hamlets)

I am sure the ghost of Walter Rye was looking on in shame at what N and N did to his books and those of any other donors of past decades made in good faith and good intent to improve the public life of East Anglia.

always fancied the head female librarian she could stamp my book anytime !!

1 hour ago, barkalotloudly said:

Down boy!

1 hour ago, barkalotloudly said:

Little wonder they got rid of the books then-  Remove you from a double ration of temptation- the books and the lady!!

Edited by Guest

............Greg's first way of selling the stuff was to put it in their Quinto shop in the Charing Cross Road- 

Ah, the Charing Cross road. Will I ever get back there? The mention of it has brought on a wave of nostalgia. I started work in South Ken in the mid sixties and at least once a week I’d trundle up there at lunch time. Usually to Dobell’s or Better Books but then Cecil Court & Any Amount of Books after they moved from Hammersmith. Those were the days. You could pick up early Anthony Powell’s and Graham Greenes for under £20. Somehow the net doesn’t really feed the passion in quite the same way.

36 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Will I ever get back there

Don't bother- Apart from Peter Ellis in Cecil Court, it's over. Quinto have gone,Pordes is run by a new Italian with an "adventurous" outlook on condition and prices, Nigel Burwood sold out Any Amount to his staff and everything he has of interest is online anyway.   A street full of bookshops?   As  the William Holden character says to the Ernie Borgnine character at the beginning of "The Wild Bunch" (after a failed bank raid)-"Them days is fading fast"

The IWM also used a big book dealer Any Book **** or something like that. A lot of good rare stuff was flogged that way, I particularly liked getting some rare stuff and them apologizing's it was ex libris IWM so we won't even charge the reprint price..... 

PS Kai is fine an enjoying the snow.

Edited by MartH

17 minutes ago, MartH said:

The IWM also used a big book dealer Any Book **** or something like that. A lot of good rare stuff was flogged that way, I particularly liked getting some rare stuff and them apologizing's it was ex libris IWM so we won't even charge the reprint price..... 

PS Kai is fine an enjoying the snow.

Ah- I had forgotten all the stuff that went through Anybook.  Anybook in Lincoln  was set up by 2 librarians to harvest chuck-outs from mostly academic libraries-where most of the stuff I wouldn't want anyway. They do it on a commission basis- libraries get a little bit back per volume.  They are not fussy about condition and I have sent back books several times that I wanted a reading copy of because they had got basic descriptions hopelessly wrong. I recall that much of what was IWM with them was described as "Poor" - so it was,on balance,worse than that. Yes, I know there is always treasure if you persevere. I suspect even Peacocks were not prepared to have a go at a very knackered lot. 

Ex-lib can cover a multitude of sins but basically boils down to 2 opposite situations- either the book is ex-lib and has been used so much that it is knackered or it has been bought,accessioned donkeys years ago and put in store-so hardly used at all (Like all the Great War stuff at The British Library-most of their regimentals,etc are in good shape as they are relatively unused across the last century.  I used to describe "ex-libs" with one of 2 cataloguing terms- EITHER  "Ex-lib.,usual markings,else untouched by human hand"  or-the alternative- "Ex-lib. bashed to bu**ery"  Alas, ABE would not let me use these terms and their overly prissy American language filter wasn't happy either.  However, in the UK all my customers seemed to know exactly what my cataloguing terms meant and were quite happy.

As a break from the gloom of closed bookshops & shrinking libraries here’s a nice dust jacket. One of the best of the Australian memoirs, this one from a Sergeant, later Lieutenant, in the 56th Battalion, 5th Australian Division. Initially in Egypt, nr. the old battlefield of Tel-el-Kebir & then mostly on the Somme until he was wounded in September 1918 nr. Peronne. Published in 1933 its not hard to find although the jacket is scarce.0FCEC9CE-62E6-40A2-B513-920AA2333A5E.jpeg.fa8b08de7f3f88cd840c98e7f48ffdd5.jpeg

I first became concerned about the instition of worthless muddlers When they were found to have dumped valuable material  in a skip some years ago while "improvements" were being made they included trench maps and a large scale map of Ypres annotated to state that it had been presented to Douglas Haig and used by him during 1st Ypres. Fortunately the map and the trench maps are now in very safe hands. 

• 1 month later...

Probably the last copy of Order of Battle of Divisions part 3a, that isn’t stored in the secret underground nuclear bunker arrived today. The cover isn‘t in the best condition but for less than £24 I can live with that.

Charlie

F117F2D1-D34C-4DD1-971F-ED810063FA4E.jpeg

Edited by charlie2

Congratulations-  Good to see the Nottingham  Free/Public Library stuff still coming on the market- A good old-time reference library butchered in the mid-90s. Curiously, a fair amount has been popping up in the past year or so, which suggests another tranche or old basement room being emptied rather than a nuclear bunker.

3 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Probably the last copy of Order of Battle of Divisions part 3a, that isn’t stored in the secret underground nuclear bunker arrived today. The cover isn‘t in the best condition but for less than £24 I can live with that.

Charlie

Brilliant! Very envious.

• 11 months later...

I had a stroke of luck on EBay D the week before last - the 3 volumes and map case of the Sanitätsbericht 1914-18, ex library but in very good condition.

Charlie

83C9927C-0454-4BF7-B2D1-7128E04B58C4.jpeg

If I spoke German I’d know how good those were! Well found.

Another very rare book turned up today, an original 1941 copy of „Der Handelskrieg mit U-Booten“ volume 4. The difference in the maps is massive, compare the originals with those from the 1964 reprint. I‘ve no idea how many were printed but mine is No. 740.

Charlie

D865D3A2-08C7-4403-8897-57516FEF69F2.jpeg

860656F1-E742-499F-B761-6C47BE6547FF.jpeg

D04446F2-3B29-4823-93A0-B7D37154E08F.jpeg

E15DC0A1-85FE-4959-BB53-5F689E88FE51.jpeg

Interesting that it was issued as a Marine-Dienstvorschrift. I would not have expected a historical account as part of a service regulations manual series. Congrats!

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

It’s often the case that modern reprints fall down when it comes to the maps. You’d think the opposite would be the case given advances in printing technology.

5 hours ago, GreyC said:

Interesting that it was issued as a Marine-Dienstvorschrift

Thanks GreyC I was going to ask what the abbreviation stood for.

3 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

It’s often the case that modern reprints fall down when it comes to the maps.

Considering the reprint is the best part of 60 years old its not exactly modern but I know what you mean. 

Charlie

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

Thanks GreyC I was going to ask what the abbreviation stood for.

Actually you find Marine-Dienstvorschrift as well as Marine Druckvorschrift.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

Actually you find Marine-Dienstvorschrift as well as Marine Druckvorschrift.

GreyC

Thanks GreyC, I suppose Druckvorschrift would make more sense in this case.

Charlie