Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

My collection of the British OH has taken a step forward in the last two weeks and left my bank account in intensive care. 5 volumes of the medical history, a nice (1961) Blockade of Germany, Vet Services, Principal Events, 5 Parts of Order of Battle and to crown it all a lovely unread Occupation of the Rhineland. 
Has anyone any reason why OoB Part 3A is very hard to find?

Charlie

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

My collection of the British OH has taken a step forward in the last two weeks and left my bank account in intensive care. 5 volumes of the medical history, a nice (1961) Blockade of Germany, Vet Services, Principal Events, 5 Parts of Order of Battle and to crown it all a lovely unread Occupation of the Rhineland. 

Charlie

Well done, Charlie. I guess your Rhineland is ex.-IWM as is mine. I wonder if they have any left? The O of B might be scarce because there’s a member of this Forum who has more than one copy!

2 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Charlie

What are mere bank accounts when compared with books?    Are congratulations in order for winning the Eurolottery Roll-Over Jackpot?   And blowing the lot.........

Yes, my Rhineland is ex-IWM

On 28/07/2020 at 17:42, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I wonder if they have any left?

I doubt it, they are probably all now with the same person who has more than 1 copy of 3A, I wonder who that could be :D

On 28/07/2020 at 17:46, GreyC said:

Congrats, Charlie!

Thanks GreyC, I‘m still struggling to find the last 2 volumes to complete my German Navy collection.

And blowing the lot.........

I think that best describes the situation. If I hadn‘t bought books I would have only spent it on better food for the dogs!

Charlie

• 4 weeks later...

There is an interesting discussion starting on page 19 of this thread regarding whether or not „Eastern Siberia“ exists or not, has anything come to light in the meantime?

I‘m also curious to know why „Air publication 125: a short history of the RAF“ is considered on Alan‘s site to be an additional volume to the OH.

Thank you

Charlie

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

There is an interesting discussion starting on page 19 of this thread regarding whether or not „Eastern Siberia“ exists or not, has anything come to light in the meantime?

I‘m also curious to know why „Air publication 125: a short history of the RAF“ is considered on Alan‘s site to be an additional volume to the OH.

Thank you

Charlie

No copies located in any library system, which,in itself is not conclusive.  There is a Foreign Office Handbook entitled "Eastern Siberia", one of the series of small handbooks  on all matters prepared for  the Peace Conference-Come in green soft card wrappers.  Not to be confused with the Naval Staff Handbooks.

There is also a US Military Intelligence publication of 1918 entitled "Siberia and Eastern Russia".

With "Eastern Siberia" ,seeing is believing- rather like the fairies at the bottom of my garden.

Thank you Maureen, the Foreign Office Handbook was the only thing I could find. The Google search brought me to this thread which prompted my request.

Look on the bright side-it should relieve the stress on the piggy bank for a while,  It would be odd indeed that no mention of this "official" history had popped up anywhere else.-but for the paranoid among us,not quite impossible. At least you can give those Eurolottery tickets a rest for a while.

One thing that-as a technicality-may suggest that we are chasing a chimera- The officials are the  official history of THE WAR- There was never a formal war with the Russians or any faction therein-Thus, technically outside the scope of official histories. OK, the old book by Hamley on "Declarations of War" suggests that the formal rigmarole of reading on the steps of the Royal Exchange etc is an optional extra, I suspect there were significant technicalities with the niceties of what was a "war"  to make an official history of what went on in Russia something best avoided.

On 23/08/2020 at 08:44, charlie2 said:

Thank you

Charlie

Hi Charlie.

When I first put that page together I intended to list just the books bearing the heading ‘History of the Great War based on Official Documents’ which, including the Map cases, comes to 109 volumes. I then thought there are other ‘Official’ works which are clearly associated with them namely the huge Statistics volume, the Battlefields Nomenclature report & the 12 Munitions volumes. These are listed separately as ‘Other Works’. However I little realised that some people feel very proprietorial about the ‘Official History’ and have their own strongly held ideas about what should be included. That led me to include such works as Carless Davis’ ‘History of the Blockade’ ,the RAF volume & Eastern Siberia.

Personally I don’t consider any of them to be essential. Having recently bought the restricted Persia volume I’m happy that my set is virtually complete. 

Look on the bright side-it should relieve the stress on the piggy bank for a while,  It would be odd indeed that no mention of this "official" history had popped up anywhere else.-but for the paranoid among us,not quite impossible. At least you can give those Eurolottery tickets a rest for a while.

Thank you, the dogs will be happy to know that, their ribs are beginning to show too much :)

On 24/08/2020 at 09:24, Dust Jacket Collector said:

However I little realised that some people feel very proprietorial about the ‘Official History’ and have their own strongly held ideas about what should be included. That led me to include such works as Carless Davis’ ‘History of the Blockade’ ,the RAF volume & Eastern Siberia.

Personally I don’t consider any of them to be essential. Having recently bought the restricted Persia volume I’m happy that my set is virtually complete. 

Many thanks for the explanation, I had noticed that there were personal opinions as what belonged to the OH. Unless a copy of Persia comes on the market at a price that does not stop me feeding the dogs altogether, I suspect my 1987 copy will have to suffice.

Charlie

9 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Many thanks for the explanation, I had noticed that there were personal opinions as what belonged to the OH. Unless a copy of Persia comes on the market at a price that does not stop me feeding the dogs altogether, I suspect my 1987 copy will have to suffice.

Charlie

Don’t despair. I looked for years for a copy, passing on the only one that came into view at £3500. And then a few weeks ago one turned up in Australia for just over £200 in a beautiful leather binding. Irresistible!

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is looking for an original Occupation of the Rhineland there is one on ABE, apparently presented to Churchill by Edmonds. Of course its cheaper than what I paid a month ago for a copy. 

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30723308229&searchurl=bi%3D0%26ds%3D30%26bx%3Doff%26sortby%3D1%26kn%3DRhineland%26an%3DEdmonds%26recentlyadded%3Dall&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1

Charlie

2 hours ago, charlie2 said:

If anyone is looking for an original Occupation of the Rhineland there is one on ABE, apparently presented to Churchill by Edmonds. Of course its cheaper than what I paid a month ago for a copy. 

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30723308229&searchurl=bi%3D0%26ds%3D30%26bx%3Doff%26sortby%3D1%26kn%3DRhineland%26an%3DEdmonds%26recentlyadded%3Dall&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1

Charlie

Dammit, that was just too tempting to resist & I’ve already got a copy. I see Kay Craddock also has a Military Ops. Italy inscribed to Churchill plus a couple of other rare ones - Togoland & East Africa. I emailed them re: Order of Battle & it seems David Levine didn’t have Vol.3a either.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Dammit, that was just too tempting to resist & I’ve already got a copy

Life is hard sometimes :) Hopefully you won‘t have to wait too long for it to arrive.

1 hour ago, Felix C said:

Not really a book as it has too few pages. Pardon the fathead size.

cmb.jpg

It still counts. There is a technical definition of a pamphlet, based on the way folio sheets of paper are folded.  But you may wish to try the following test of the difference between a book and a pamphlet taught to me more than 40 years ago by a distinguished librarian.....Wait for it..... If it stands up by itself,it's a book, if it falls over it's a pamphlet.

It still counts. There is a technical definition of a pamphlet, based on the way folio sheets of paper are folded.  But you may wish to try the following test of the difference between a book and a pamphlet taught to me more than 40 years ago by a distinguished librarian.....Wait for it..... If it stands up by itself,it's a book, if it falls over it's a pamphlet.

I used to be a book but as I get older I’ve become more of a pamphlet!

3 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I used to be a book but as I get older I’ve become more of a pamphlet!

Oh dear- May I recommend-as light relief- an excellent book of cartoons by  Ronald Searle??It explains everything ....well,sort of. Will cheer up even the most horizontal human pamphlet on a bad day.

Slightly Foxed - but still desirable: Ronald: Searle, Ronald
Stock Image

Slightly Foxed - but still desirable: Ronald Searle's Wicked World of Book Collecting

Searle, Ronald

Published by Souvenir Press Ltd, UK (2010)

ISBN 10: 028562945XISBN 13: 9780285629455

Used

Hardcover

Quantity Available: 

I have a copy of that :)

This one i have just acquired is rare in it's jacket ( it's quite scarce without in fact ) , it's the British 1930 edition published by Noel Douglas . It contains

some of the best descriptions of men in battle .

generals die in bed.jpeg

7 hours ago, Black Maria said:

This one i have just acquired is rare in it's jacket ( it's quite scarce without in fact ) , it's the British 1930 edition published by Noel Douglas . It contains

some of the best descriptions of men in battle .

I’ve had the book for years but never got around to reading it. Maybe I should. Well done on finding a copy.

Just now, Dust Jacket Collector said:
7 hours ago, Black Maria said:

I’ve had the book for years but never got around to reading it

I think a dip into War and Peace is called for -where the central character only buys a book after he has finished the one he already has. It would have worked wonders with the bank balance across the decades.....