Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Very interesting Egbert, thank you for posting!

Is that a Starfighter I can see through the trees? (of "one free to every German farmer" infamy)

Adrian

• 2 months later...

Now

There are a few remnant barracks from the old times visible in a remote corner. Used today by craft and repair shops

post-80-1174133959.jpg

You know Egbert ..... on your very first post you said

For you the foreign friends- this serves as an outstanding example how Germany honors the dead of former hostile countries in dignity. Even without any civilian guests visiting the graves, they are not forgotten by us and are remembered by German Armed Forces personnel

And everytime I check this thread I get a lump in my throat !

I have no idea where my relative was taken as a POW and I have no idea where he died ..... but I'd like to think that wherever he is ...... somebody is looking out for him ..... you're photos are very meaningful for me

Thank you !

Annie

Keep it coming, Egbert! Quality input as awlays.

I was trying to see if any of the trees in today's pics are the same as in the old views. But I think a lot of the trees from the old views were Silver Birch, and not whatever the modern trees may be (Plain trees?)

Off forum Egbert mentioned that comparison views are difficult to obtain due to the amount of foliage in place today. Looking at the old views, they cetainly planted plenty of trees along the roads, didn't they?

Thanks for another interesting thread.

Ian

• 3 months later...
No Starfighter ...?

No, they are out in the fields...

Still keeping an eye out, Egbert, Grandad might be in that shot of the "Kreigies" you posted, you never know!

Adrian

• 3 months later...

Thank you, yet again, Egbert

I hadn't realised that you had posted all of these splendid pictures since I was last in touch with you. Although I was at Wahn for 18 months, I realise, too late, that I had seen so little of Wahn when I had the oportunity. Generally speaking, we were restricted from wandering the total installation, in my days. I was aware that it was a hugh complex and I had formed the opinion that Wahn had been an important installation since its original conception. I recall a large area of abandoned stables and areas inhabited by other nationals in areas totally distinct from our own. Wahn surely hold a miriad of stories, of secrets, tradgedies as well as successes and achievements. Certainly enough to fill more than one volume. Perhaps there is an oportunity there, waiting for you personally, Egbert, to uncover for the benrfit of your growing, interested correspondents, together with the public at large. I have downloaded all of your photos, from this Forum, for my own curiosity, and pleasure.

Southern Geordie.

sothern geordie, how nice of you to revive this thread. Of course I have many more unpublished pics from Wahn, GW time and today, on my harddrive. As I know you have a lot of THEN pics in your picture albums, it would be nice to post them here and I will try to find today's location in order to post the matching Now pic.

@all: I have a 1917 Wahn copy map 2meter by 0,5meter! with all the 1917 details. So if any of you out there has knowledge in which barrack (barrack number) Grandfather was held PoW, I can clearly pinpoint the location.

• 3 weeks later...

On November 18th 2007 Germany celebrated their official Remembrance Day. 30 German Air Force personnel and civilian staff gathered for a memorial service on the grounds of the military cemetery Wahn to pay their respect to the dead PoWs and German soldiers buried there. A choir contributed to the ceremonial services, wreaths were laid down and the pastor blessed the graves....

post-80-1195822704.jpg