Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

• 1 month later...

Egbert,

Thanks again for sharing these great photo's. Where do you keep getting all these photo's you show us on your various threads. Amazing.

Love your ant.

John :ph34r::ph34r:

Thanks to both of you. There will be more to come in the next 3 weeks, with emphasis to French and Brit PoW life.

and John - where they come from?= its magic and only some 200m away from where I work!

Fascinating, as ever, Egbert. Thanks for your continuing efforts.

What kind of firing went on at the Schiessplatz Wahn – and are there any photos of that ...?

Appellplatz, by the way, is 'parade ground' in British English.

What kind of firing went on at the Schiessplatz Wahn – and are there any photos of that ...?

All kind of artillery firings. If that is of interest, I'll interrupt the PoW related postings and will show the old artillery zones.

Then & Now,

as it all started in the 1870s and overlapped to/on a modern map.

The printed numbers are the respective year-numbers when the individual ranges were active and later extended in size as artillery weaponry improved w/r to range (capabilities)

post-80-1200597352.jpg

Thank you for sharing these photos and taking the time to take comparison pictures, Egbert.

Gwyn

In January 1979 I spent time at Truppenubungsplatz Munster Lager with Feld Artillerie Battalion 21, Regiment 2, from Harthberg Kaserne, Treysa, Stadt Hesse. Being Leutnant Eisen I was quite a hit with the German officers and NCOs. Egbert, you may recall that in January 1979 there was a big snowstorm that shut down Hamburg and Hannover--because of the snow our field exercise reminded me of Russia or the Ardennes in December 1944.

British prisoners and their interpreters

Uniforms are not my strong subject, Egbert, but those look like your interpreters ... :D

Great photos – please keep them coming!

Well Mick, you do not have the "priviledge" to own the original. The high resolution pic shows one German NCO interpreter, plus two other from my side (one being a guard). All the rest are yours :P

Lucky you to own the originals. I'm sure that some of the prisoners did act as interpreters, but how can you tell which ones – did they wear armbands or something similar?

Hi Egbert

Great to see this thread revived.

Wahn looks a huge complex -- how big is it and was it always that size?

cheers Martin B

Well Martin, today's Wahn A.F.B. is marked in yellow. Formerly Wahn, to include the artillery range, covered all what you can see in the sat pic as airport area

post-80-1200760004.jpg

Thanks again, Egbert. Was Camp Altenrath also there during the Great War?

And if the present day base is within the yellow perimeter, is the airfield now a joint civil/military operation?

I am not sure about camp A. -have to investigate. Until it was abondened some 3-5 years ago, it was home to a Belgium artillery unit. The airport is Koeln-Bonn, a totally civilian operated big airport, hub for TUIFly, Air Berlin, home to Germanwings @ second largest German air cargo port. There is only a small military annex for the GAF's A 310 fleet and the medium range business jet fleet