Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Here is a complementary German band in Wahn camp

...and if the expressions of the chap leading them and the little boy are anything to go by, they are making a horrible noise!

Adrian

(sorry, Egbert, but they both look as though they have been forced to be there!)

(sorry, Egbert, but they both look as though they have been forced to be there!)

Adrian that's the way it is! For whatever purposes they had been taken- either by order or simply by an agressive photographer (I know several of them still exist today)

Egbert,

love the picture at post 229, especially the look on the young lads face!

Thanks again for sharing all these photos.

Regards,

Scottie.

Thanks Scottie

This is the "Now" view of the hospital grounds, from approximately the standpoint of the flag pole, visible in pic #234.

post-80-1204049653.jpg

I received a new batch of Wahn PoW pictures and have to admit, that's why there is no logical order of themes/subjects possible anymore. So please excuse the torn apart or repeating themes.

Great work Egbert, thanks for doing what you're doing. I was glad to be able to post the Siegburg stuff about 1945 and double-glad that you weren't offended by it. The Rathaus didn't respond to my email but it's Siegburg's loss if they don't preserve that bit of history about the town. Maybe you could print it and deposit it in a library there. It has unit identifications, dates, names, and locations.

Maybe Gavin Robinson (post# 82) has a picture of Brit Wahn PoWs and may recognize the one or other chap.

BOQ= Bachelor Officer Quarters

Just caught up with this thread. So many amazing photos - thanks again Egbert.

My great-grandfather was only at Wahn for 2 weeks at most. He was captured by 77th RIR near Gommecourt on 6th December 1916, wrote a postcard home from Wahn on 20th December, then wrote another one from Berlin Alexandrinenstrasse hospital on 21st December. As he was wounded when he was captured and was kept in hospital in Berlin until February 1917 it's likely that he spent all of his time at Wahn in the hospital and didn't do any work. I don't think any patients in the hospital photo look like him.

This is him (probably taken before he was captured, but sent home afterwards). And this is the card he sent from Wahn.

We don't have any photos from Wahn showing any of the other prisoners (plenty from Cottbus, but that's another story).

Thanx for the information and interesting postcard. At least you have a sense now of how he could have been accomodated in the PoW hospital in Wahn. The postcard resembles the ones my Granduncle sent home as a PoW from a French camp. They must have been normed by the Red Cross.

This is a view towards Nordlager after it was rebuilt with then modern buildings in the 1930s. All wooden barracks are gone and substituted with stone built barracks (see the 2-story bldgs on ex Nordlager grounds in ca 300 meters distance)

post-80-1206795660.jpg

Hi Egbert, I have just read your post from start 2006 to today, great stuff Peter