Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Railwaymen Died 1914 - 18

Malcolm Linham

Thanks for looking

Could you try this one as well

Private John Thomas Reynolds (CG) Born around 1879. He worked at the Midland Railways Wagon Works.

Could you try this one as well

Private John Thomas Reynolds (CG) Born around 1879. He worked at the Midland Railways Wagon Works.

Coldstreamer

I can confirm that J.T. Reynolds is listed as a wagon labourer.

Malcolm

Malcolm

Does the Roll include men of The North of Scotland Railway Company?

If so, I would appreciate the details of William Middleton and Edward Adam Souter.

my thanks - the only other possibility is the GN & GE Joint

Chris

Chris,

I hate to be beaten so have gone through every railway company listed with a no trace.

Malcolm

Thanks for trying

Chris

Malcolm

Does the Roll include men of The North of Scotland Railway Company?

If so, I would appreciate the details of William Middleton and Edward Adam Souter.

Kinnethmont

W. Middleton was employed as a Porter and E.A. Souter as a Clerk. The correct title for the railway is the Great North of Scotland railway.

Malcolm

Thanks for the extra detail you found

Could you see if James MacKinnon ot McKinnon is listed.Worked for North British Railway Company. Thanks.

John, Sorry niether spelling of Mc Kinnon is listed under the North British Railway Company.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

I've recently found out that my Gt Uncle who was killed with the 10th West Yorks worked for the Midland Railway before joining up. Would you be kind enough to do a look up please?

Pte. Ernest Stowe [10772] 10th West Yorks K.I.A. 1-7-1916

Many Thanks,

Dave

Hi Malcolm,

I've recently found out that my Gt Uncle who was killed with the 10th West Yorks worked for the Midland Railway before joining up. Would you be kind enough to do a look up please?

Pte. Ernest Stowe [10772] 10th West Yorks K.I.A. 1-7-1916

Many Thanks,

Dave

Pte. E. Stowe was employed as a "B" Labourer.

Many Thanks Lyndon,

what work would a 'B Labourer' do? It sounds a bit more strenuous than the work I'm doing now.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Pass!! I haven't a clue!

Any Longbone's in there? An uncommon name and many of them had railways backgrounds.

Regards Mike

Many Thanks Lyndon,

what work would a 'B Labourer' do? It sounds a bit more strenuous than the work I'm doing now.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Dave,

Within the last week I have seen a tele programme (UK History I think) which described a B Labourer in the following terms.

1st - Full time employees

2nd - B Labourers - staff who were not full time employees but who by previous experince etc who be

preferred option if extra staff were required - these were listed on the B List.

3rd - Any casual staff eployed as required.

Malcolm

Many thanks for the explanation Malcolm. I shall have to pay more attention to the TV guide, and look out for something on railways. I have another question, if I may, and it relates to the ceremomy at St. Paul's. Do you know if it was broadcast? It's just that I've come across a memorial service for the West Yorkshire Regiment which was held at York Minster in 1926, and the source says it was also broadcast. Whether this means the setting up of a few speakers, or an actual recording of the ceremony, I don't know--though maybe the Thanksgiving at St. Paul's was too early.

Kind Regards,

Dave

The discount shopping (Outlet Centre) in Swindon is housed in converted GWR workshops.

In it are plaques listing those who served and those who lost their lives in both WW1 and WW2.

Bob

Many thanks for the explanation Malcolm. I shall have to pay more attention to the TV guide, and look out for something on railways. I have another question, if I may, and it relates to the ceremomy at St. Paul's. Do you know if it was broadcast? It's just that I've come across a memorial service for the West Yorkshire Regiment which was held at York Minster in 1926, and the source says it was also broadcast. Whether this means the setting up of a few speakers, or an actual recording of the ceremony, I don't know--though maybe the Thanksgiving at St. Paul's was too early.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Dave,

I see from my first post that I did not describe the service as prehaps I should of, it took place on Wednesday 14 May 1919. There is nothing to indicate that it was broadcast - I am certain that the BBC

were not in existance then.

Regards

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm,

You're right, I wasn't thinking, it was some five or six years later. I've just photocopied the Order of Service held at Leeds Parish Church around the same time [May 1919]. There's no names, just a memorial service, and an address by Rev. Heywood, the Vicar of Leeds. If anyone needs to locate the 10-page 'programme' at Leeds Library, the reference is: LP 264 PAR [in Memory of the Railwaymen of Great Britain and Ireland who have died in the Service of their Country during the War] Cheers Malcolm.

Kind Regards,

Dave

• 1 month later...

Is there a Frederick James Hudson any where in your book? He was employed by the London& North Western Railway Company at Northampton from 1911 to 1914. He enlisted 16th Feb1916 in the 18th Hussars served with the Expeditionary Force in France and was killed in action Nov. 1917

Thankyou for your time

Sylvia.