Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Railwaymen Died 1914 - 18

Malcolm Linham

Sylvia,

Unfortunately thier is no Frank Jmaes Hudson commerated by the LNWR, thier is a H Hudson listed as a carriage cleaner.

I see from your post that there is a gap between 1914 when he was a railway employee and when he enlisted in 1916. I can only suggest that as he would appear not to have been a railway employee at the time of his enlistment he did not qualify for commeration by the railway.

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

Could you check a WH Teale please - worked at Midland station in Bradford - thanks

Coldstreamer,

Pte WH Teale listed as a parcels porter on the Midland railway , also listed under the Midland railway is a Sgt A Teale a goods porter.

Cheers

Malcolm

Malcolm

Thanks for the quick reply and extra info

Would be kind enough to check if there is any entry for Herbert Birtles, KIA with the 21st Manchester's in 1916. He worked for the Railways before enlisting in 1914. Many thanks Neil.

I wish the SNCF had published something like this for 1939-45!

Could you look up a John Taylor of the CG -North Eastern Railways

thanks

Coldstreamer,

This one is a bit difficult due to Taylor being a very common surname.

Thier are 3 listed under the Great Central 1/ Pte J Taylor a fireman 2/ Pte J Taylor a relay sub ganger

3/ Gunner J Taylor a clerk.

Thier are 4 listed as serving with the North Eastern 1/ Pte J Taylor a frieght shunter 2/ Sgt J Taylor a platelayer 3/ Pte J Taylor a Loco machinist 4/ Pte J Taylor a operational labourer.

Regards

Malcolm

thanks for looking esp considering the name!

• 2 weeks later...

Malcolm

I have only just seen your posting and I hope you are still able to look up railwaymen who died in the Great War. The person I am interested in is C Grist who appears on the war memorial at Waterloo Station, London. I think the company he worked for was London and South Western.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Sylvia,

Unfortunately thier is no Frank Jmaes Hudson commerated by the LNWR, thier is a H Hudson listed as a carriage cleaner.

I see from your post that there is a gap between 1914 when he was a railway employee and when he enlisted in 1916. I can only suggest that as he would appear not to have been a railway employee at the time of his enlistment he did not qualify for commeration by the railway.

Malcolm

Sylvia,

There is a J J Hudson listed on the Northampton War Memorial (27 Arthur Street) - Northamptonshire regt and a T S Hudson (19 Cranbrook Street - though maybe this should be Cranbrook Rd) of the MGC. I have a vague feeling that there may be another Hudson on the Kingsthorpe War Memorial.

Malcolm

I have only just seen your posting and I hope you are still able to look up railwaymen who died in the Great War. The person I am interested in is C Grist who appears on the war memorial at Waterloo Station, London. I think the company he worked for was London and South Western.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Pte C Grist was an engine cleaner with the L & SW. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Bit late on this thread, but is there a Leonard Bockin (g)?? Pleeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeee!!!

Anthony,

Found no trace of Leonard Bockin, was this just a speculative search or do you have some information

that you failed to mention.

If you can provide a railway company I will have another look.

Cheers

Malcolm

Cheers for looking.

Just speculative really, the only thing that links him is that he was a railway porter, that's all.

Back to the massive drawing board then

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Malcom

Any mention of Private Robert Hamblin, 4th Batt Grenadier Guards?

hambo

Malcolm

Is there a mention of Pte Samuel George Harvey 18043 7th Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers?

It would be GWR.

Thanks

Peter

Malcolm

Is there a mention of Pte Samuel George Harvey 18043 7th Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers?

It would be GWR.

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

Only Harvey's listed for the GWR are A.T. Harvey

F. Harvey

N. Harvey.

Should you find that he may have served with a different railway company please re post and I will do another search.

Best wishes

Malcolm

Hambo,

There is a Pte R Hamblin employed as a Town Office Porter on the Midland Railway.

Best wishes.

Malcolm

• 2 months later...

Hello Malcolm,

Would you mind looking for a Charles Robinson for me please?

If there, he should be down as a clerk. He was from Leeds but I don't know the company he worked for.

Thanks much,

Nigel

Nigel,

There are 2 C Robinson’s listed, there are also a number of C Robinson’s with a second intial that |I have discounted.

1st C Robinson employed as clerk on the Great Central railway reached the rank of Sergeant.

2nd C Robinson employed as clerk on the Great Northern railway reached the rank of 2nd Lieutant.

Hopes this helps.

Malcolm

Malcolm,

Thats great

If they had both been with the same company I would have suggested that they were the same man, as my Mr Robinson was commissioned when he reached sergeant.

I'll do some more digging, but thanks very much for the speedy response.

Nigel