Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Railwaymen Died 1914 - 18

Malcolm Linham

Grant

Are you just looking for information regarding the men and women of the GWR, or about thier hardware as well.

I have just looked out what I have on the GWR in the Great War and according to Parick Whitehouse in his 150 yrs of the GWR - they were the first company that devised a method of brazing splits up to 1 1/2inchs long in returned shell cases.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

No, it's just those who worked in the Swindon Works, served and never came home.

It's only a very small fraction of the GWR work force who were lost (about 550 men and counting at the moment) but they came from all over the British Isles and a few from the other side of the world and proberly represent every regiment there is.

I would love to take on the whole of the GWR, but quite frankly I'm struggling with what Iv'e got now, maybe in the future some one will take up the mantle and work on the other GWR sites and it can all be united into one big record.

Cheers

Grant

Malcolm,

Many thanks

Also, anyone else reading this thread, please pm me if you have a Swindon GWR chap.

Cheers

Grant

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello Malcolm,

Would you mind looking for a Hector McMillan, possibly MacMillan, please?

If he is there I would expect him to be GNR, or one of the companies that worked in Leeds.

Thanks in anticipation,

Nigel

Widnes Library in Cheshire has/had a vast amount of Railway journals that covered the Great War these had obituarys and Medal Citations. Most Railway Companys are represented. York Railway Museum also has a vast Library of books that mention Rolls of Honour.

Nigel

There is a Sergeant H.McMillan listed as a clerk on the Midland Railway, I have checked my railway atlas that shows all the railway lines pre war and the Midlland did run through Leeds so this would appear to be your man.

Malcolm

The Great Western Railway Magazine published photographs of all of those lost in the Great War, Private Gunter of Witney being just one example.

post-34598-1265399636.jpg

Malcolm,

Re: Hector McMillan, Thanks so much for looking. Sergeant fits perfectly, as does his job as a clerk (1911 Census refers).

Cheers,

Nigel

I'd be grateful if GWR buffs could have a look for CHRISTOPHER JOHN ROGERS of the Welsh Guards or THOMAS WILLIAM MILLWARD of the RE / ROD. Thanks!

Simon

Simon

There is a C J Rogers listed as being a porter / shunter with the GWR, unusually thier is no army rank listed.

Sapper TW Millward is listed as a clerk on the Midland railway.

Malcolm

That's really useful Malcolm - appreciate it!

Simon

• 5 months later...

Hi Malcolm,

I wonder if you could do a look-up for me?

Willie McLEAN (also spelt MacLean in some sources) was working for the Fort Augustus and Invergarry Railway which I understand was operated by the North British Railway. He was KIA in September 1916. His obit says that he started work with them in 1912 so I assume he was still with them in 1914.

And does your publication list non-casualties who received honours and awards?

Do you or anyone else reading this thread have any ideas on other sources for NBR or FA&IR? (staff magazines, archives, etc?)

Thanks very much in advance!

• 7 months later...

Hi Malcolm

I was wondering if you had an entry for Major Cyril Spencer Wilson MC who I think worked for th GWR before the war

Many thanks John

Hi Malcolm,

I wonder if you could do a look-up for me?

Willie McLEAN (also spelt MacLean in some sources) was working for the Fort Augustus and Invergarry Railway which I understand was operated by the North British Railway. He was KIA in September 1916. His obit says that he started work with them in 1912 so I assume he was still with them in 1914.

And does your publication list non-casualties who received honours and awards?

Do you or anyone else reading this thread have any ideas on other sources for NBR or FA&IR? (staff magazines, archives, etc?)

Thanks very much in advance!

HeadGardener

First of all I must apoligise for not replying to your post, I check new content daily and I must of missed this one.

Private W Mclean is listed as a Lead Surfacemen with the North British Railway.

The only information recorded is Surname Intial Grade of Railway employee and rank in the services when killied.

Malcolm

Hambo

Thier are no C Wilson's listed under the GWR.

Thier are five other C Wilson listed under a number of other railways but the highest rank listed is L/Cpl.

Malcolm

Many thanks for looking. From his bio I have the exact description of where he worked which may not be a railway man as such. Are you familiar with this department?

"He became an Assistant Manager on the Great Western Railway Carriage and Wagon Department at Swindon"

Thanks for looking

John

Hambo

Assuming that he still worked for the GWR when he joined up he should have qualified for inclusion within the role of honour.

Can I suggest that you start a seperate post, and see if anyone has a copy of a photograph of the GWR Swindon works role of honour.

I believe that forum member Grantowi is a specilist in the GWR Swindon works men.

Malcolm

• 2 years later...

Hi Malcolm, I am trying to find out any details about my Great Uncle Rfn John Horace Henry White R/32337 enlisted Hammersmith Age 21, Died of wounds 30th/31st July 1917. He was a former employee of LNWR and was shown as an apprentice clerk in 1911. He is now listed on the Menin Gate and there are now no living relatives that knew him.

I thought I read somewhere that the old railway companies often had photographs taken of their employees. Is this likely and is there any record of the above? Regards, Rich

Rich

First of all I can confirm that Rifleman J H H White is listed as a clerk with the LNWR in Railwaymen Died.

I can confirm that some staff association magazines publish photographs of thier staff, I do not know if the LNWR did.

Try the National Railway musuem who also hold some employees records at www.nrm.org.uk/researchandarchieve.

Malcolm

• 1 year later...

Hello

Is Edward Longthorne from Shildon, County Durham listed please? Probably North Eastern Railways

Yes page 136. North Eastern Railways. Longthorne E. Hammer Driver. Pte.