Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Railwaymen Died 1914 - 18

Malcolm Linham

John,

I have checked the four men you have listed here are the results.

1/ The only Hines listed under the LNWR is a Gunner W Hines who was employed as a labourer.

2/ Private F Milner was employed by the LNWR as a Porter.

3/ Private A Lawes was employed by the Midland Railway as a Waiter.

4/ L/Corporal E E Grant was employed by the Midland Railway as a Striker (specilist job in the Blacksmith shop)

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm for finding that data. I think H Hines may have left the railway service before the war.

John

• 1 month later...

Hello

Malcolm

Not sure if you can help I am hoping your a railway expert. My G/uncle was a train driver both before and after the war. He survived the war after being taken prisoner. His trench was blown up and he was the only survivor of his platoon. We don't know anything else about his military service, regiment, number, when he enlisted nothing. His name was Robert Hamilton which is almost as bad as John Smith. My question is: Do you know if there is a Railmans Roll of Honour which includes those who served, much like the Co-Op which also listed those served and those who died. Its another stab at a forlorn hope.

Ian McCallum

Ian

All the railway rolls of honour that I have seen are for those men that died during the war.

Have you tried searching for his record of employment on the railway, thier might be reference to his military service.

I assume that your G/Uncle was from Scotland in which case a good starting point would be the National Archive of Scotland who I believe hold most of the employee's records for the respective Scottish railways.

Good luck

Malcolm

Malcolm

Thank you for the reply and suggestion. I will give it a try.

Ian

Malcolm,

would be really interested to see if it mentions my gt-grandfather Henry Parker 44191 of the 24 Northumberland fus. mia 9/4/1917. He worked for many years on the NER, though I am not sure if he was still a railwayman when he joined up. hope you can find the time for a quick look up.

best regards,

Michael Lawson

Malcolm,

thanks for checking that for me, i can only assume he changed jobs at some point before the war.

regards,

Michael

Is there a Thomas Sim mentioned for the Caledonian railway, British Northern or Cowlairs? or any other company based around Springburn in Glasgow?

Thanks in advance.

Robsim

The only Sim that I could find employed by any of the Scotish railways is Private A.Sim employed as a fireman on the Glasgow & South Western Railway.

Malcolm

Robsim

The only Sim that I could find employed by any of the Scotish railways is Private A.Sim employed as a fireman on the Glasgow & South Western Railway.

Malcolm

Thank you for looking Malcolm, he didn't follow his fathers footsteps and must have been employed elsewhere.

Rob

Michael

The only Parker listed under the NER is a L.L Parker.

Malcolm

Malcolm,

I just got a 1917 birth certificate and henry parker is down as 44191 24th NF (railwayman) so he was still on the railways when he enlisted. Therefore can I ask you to look again,....what other railway companies ran in Hull at that time, maybe midland railway?

regards and thanks,

Michael

Michael,

I have serched the book excluding the Irish Railways and have found 4 H Parker's

1/ Private H J Parker employed as a messanger by the GWR

2/ Gunner H Parker employed as clerk by the Lancashire & Yorkshire

3/ Private H Parker employed as fireman by the London & North Western

4/ Private H T Parker employed as clerk by the London & North Western

I think either 3 or 4 is your man as the London & North Western I beleive has access into Hull.

Malcolm

Malcolm

Do you have anything on Charles Lambert Druitt my information is that he worked for the South East and Chatham Railway

Thanks John

Hello,

just wondered if Walker Parker was mentioned, I think he was a porter for the midland railway Co. at Hellifield, also any mention of the pearcy family who worked for the north eastern railway in the Brough area of east yorkshire,

many thanks, and kind regards,

John.

John

I can confirm that the South Eastern & Chatham railway employed a C. L. Druitt as an Assistant Engineer his rank is given as Lieutant.

Cheers

Malcolm

John

Starting with the Parker family there are three listed for the Midland railway.

1/ Pte W Parker employed as a Wagon Labourer

2/ Pte W Parker employed as a Goods Porter

3/ Signaller W.J. Parker employed as a Labourer

I can find no record of the Pearcy family serving on the North Eastern railway having been killed in the war.

Cheers

Malcolm

Stanley,

Whilst I did not count any indivual railway company numbers, it would appear that the London North Western railway would be the winner of this honour,

as they total 22 1/2 pages in the book ,depending on spacing bewteen the alphabetical listings thier are approx 140 names per page.

This works out roughly at 3,150

That makes you think ?

Malcolm

Malcolm,

thank you very much for your time on this,much appreciated,

kind regards,

John.

Hello Malcolm, and thank you for the information. I would have expected the Great Western and North Western companies to have lost the most, because they were large organisations, and they both encouraged men to join up. The exact figures will be in their staff magazines (which I do not have access to at present).

Stanley

I agree in respect of the GWR, they come second in this honours list, with some 15 1/2 pages an approxamate 2,270 men

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Malcolm,

Just for the record, the number of Great Western Railway men who joined His Majesty's Forces was 25,479, representing thirty-three per cent of the Company's staff. Those who gave their lives in the war numbered 2,524.

If, during your travels you pick up any infomation about the lads who worked in the GWR Swindon works, could you pass it my way ?

I'm aiming to get a list / database / booklet thingy going the rember those who worked their and didnt return.

Cheers

Grant

Ps - I already have the information from the book