Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trenches in the dunes

egbert

Don't think I didn't see this.

darn...

• 7 months later...

I am not so sure.....it could also be from a leak of the secret oil tanks hidden in the dunes. They were never found, but last year we managed to.........but thats another story.......

I remember some British beaches being oiled to a similar degree in the bad old days when ships pumped out their bilges at sea, and there must also have been similar pollution in wartime when coastal tankers etc were attacked and sunk. If it gets no worse, the spotting and small tarballs will sink into the sand comparatively quickly, if they are not somehow mopped up before that happens. Crude oil is nasty stuff, and there are doubtless other places along the coast where the pollution is far worse, but at the end of the day it is a natural substance and, whilst it may be an ecological and economic disaster in the short term, the ocean and the coastline will deal with it more quickly than many suppose.

Another pristine leak in the dunes?

Cnock

post-7723-1278060110.jpg

• 1 month later...

Rare colour pictures from the dunes warfare -never seen before. GWF members have the priviledge to look back into the past

post-80-091734300 1282064458.jpg

Members of IR 155 are watching the clueless Russians on the other side of the river mouth. Amazing clear pictures from the century old camera

post-80-038718300 1282064798.jpg

IR 155 establishes contact with right neighbor. It happens to be an Austrian-Hungarian Bn. They felt somehow uncomfortable to join the attack because it was their time for a coffee melange

post-80-073290900 1282065709.jpg

The trench mortars are in place for the big thing. They are to be operated by the Austrian-Hungarian professionals

Please note the left German soldier, turning away in disbelieve, as he fully is aware of the fact that the Germans never won a war when relying on the Austrians....

post-80-091519700 1282066217.jpg

Sadly, here you can see the close up of the first victim of the battle. As predicted it was a friendly fire incident caused by the drunken Austrian mortar operator. It came out later that he refined the coffee melange with half a bottle of Kaiser-Karl-Schnapps. The Germans swore to never go on vacation to Austria after the war....

post-80-097994500 1282066529.jpg

Than -in the heat of the battle a father met his son. It was indeed not so uncommon in the GW that Polish families fought in the Imperial Army and the Russian Army.

A heartbreaking scene that cut all fighters to the quick. Bloody warfare in the dunes...

post-80-027829400 1282067019.jpg

The fighting parties changed their minds and held a truce. The Austrians offered coffee melange, the German nurse tended the only victim, the Germans exchanged cigars with the Russians and the Russians exchanged vodka with the Austrians, who offered more laced coffee melange and the Hungarians were happy to receive another round of Kaiser-Karl-Schnapps

post-80-067973800 1282067593.jpg

....and if you look very closely, you see the Austrian mortar crew received an extra ration of Schnapps for bravery in a desperate situation.....

and if they were not killed by the Schnapps they are happily living still today...

post-80-053174600 1282067883.jpg

Those four blokes dragging their wounded pal along the beach need a Zeltbahn to carry him in.

I especially like the pic in post #160, which seems to show one of the KuK chaps ringing a Hapsburger delivery service and his colleague reminding him that they want five servings of fries.

I suspect this beach is not in Florida, so might it be Cuxhaven ?

I especially like the pic in post #160, which seems to show one of the KuK chaps ringing a Hapsburger delivery service and his colleague reminding him that they want five servings of fries.

I suspect this beach is not in Florida, so might it be Cuxhaven ?

:w00t: No these guys ordered most likely Polish sausages and a couple of Ziewiec beers. Is this clue enough where they are from? Anyway, great group and they have really lots of fun.

The Landser in post 163 is one war ahead, as he has a WWII Kar 98,

but as we know, in the dunes nothing is impossible!

Cnock

I especially like the pic in post #160, which seems to show one of the KuK chaps ringing a Hapsburger delivery service and his colleague reminding him that they want five servings of fries....

...each.

The kiddiy's bike propped against the tree in one photo intrigues me. One presumes the owner was a victim of the Kindermord (or whatever it was called)?

...thought the small bicycle was two tone camouflaged (yellow: sand, blue: water)

Cnock

The photo in post #158 is not only interesting for the glimpse of a seldom-seen trench mini-cycle. The man on the right is carrying in his right hand a very rare example of an experimental transparent mortar projectile.

Karabiner 98, Kiddy's bike, camouflage= all rubbish, some Army's were way ahead of their time....

Mick, its a bottle of Kaiser-Karl-Schnapps destilled in the dunes destillery (see beginning of thread)

Tom, its a Russian PoW waiting to get tipped for the coffee melange he just served to Schweiks brother

but when they have drunk too much, they get reckless (partie London)......

Cnock

post-7723-008425900 1282241415.jpg