Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trenches in the dunes

egbert

At Egbert's request, all posts from 100 onwards have been deleted.

• 2 weeks later...

As a short flash back to today's real world, I'd like to post some pictures from last weekend taken near the coastal town of Cuxhaven. Having read the famous WW1 author Ringelnatz and his reports about his basic training in the Imperial Navy at this very place, I found the described training trenches from more than 90 years ago in almost pristine quality.

post-80-1200063932.jpg

Interesting pics, Egbert. They seem amazingly well preserved for trenches that are presumably dug in sand. Is there something under the grass that is preventing the trench walls from collapsing? Even if the sides were revetted, you might expect the trenches to simply fill up with blown sand and disappear quite quickly - have they perhaps been restored?

Mick, it was then and is now heathland (protected). The heather prevents the landscape from being eroded. The place is called Duhner Heide

• 1 year later...

The dunes may have revealed another fine artifact of the GW. The recent first fall storms have uncovered what experts think is part of a German WW1 airplane in a present day gravel pit located in between the old dune trenches. The old aerodromes of Marinefliegergeschwader Flandern were not far away they say. The site has been sealed off and the location is kept undisclosed. The chief archeologist has provided me with a photo taken from about a 10m high feeding belt conveyor

post-80-1256378021.jpg

Ach so - the amazing-archaeological-discoveries-in-the-dunes season is upon us again. What type of aircraft do they think it is, Egbert ?

I have no clue Mick, the image was taken yesterday and I even do not recognize a plane......hopefully will get more info today after close of business on the excavation site

Slowly but steadily they dig out the plane. It seems the colours are still pretty vivid and well preserved under the pile of sand

post-80-1256400524.jpg

Good afternoon Egbert,

Please excuse me if I'm intruding in a private joke (or completely wrong) but from the scale of the gravel/sand it looks like a kid's toy !!!

Egbert, I think this discovery might finally solve the mystery of the disappearance of the pioneer German aviatrix Amelia von Ohrhart ...

Thanks Siege Gunner,

It'll teach me to not be so lazy and read ALL the thread !!!!

But there are some plusses:

1. I'm now up to 100 posts

2. I'm looking out over the rear courtyard and can spy a builders "cubic" of sand ........ if I get bored over the next few days Egbert's sand dunes may extend to the Ardennes !

Well as Mick observed rightly, it might indeed resemble kid's stuff but only in your imagination. Actually this is a breathtaking discovery of WW1 piece.

The excavation crew had to interrupt its business yesterday due to the avalanching sands caused by strong winds in the dunes. This photo was taken when they had to stop. It seems to be an excellent preserved Fokker or so

post-80-1256461978.jpg

It looks very much like the famous candy-stripe Fokker flown by von Airfix-Revell's nephew, Dinki.

Dinki survived the Great War, but was killed in the 1930s while testing an experimental Macki-Messerschmitt.

Yes I can definitely spot the von Humbrol "rot" colouring but the traces of the Rolls Royce mk VI rubber band do confuse the issue ?

Is this more in line !!!

Thanx for the comments and the help to correctly identify the aeroplane. Today was a beautiful day and they managed to dig it out completely. Unfortuately with shocking news w/r to the cockpit. I cannot tell more here. But the plane is identified as a Fokker D VII. Maybe some experts out there can tell us more about the squadron and aerodrome of the remarkeable well preserved plane. Only the prop and the gear is missing, one lower wing badly damaged. It suggests that the pilot tried an emergency landing in the dunes....

post-80-1256480445.jpg

What do the archaeologists make of the word nicht !! that is painted on one of the tail surfaces, Egbert? Is there anything else written on the other side?

Hi,

no big deal, they found just the Fokker DVII of ace Enst Udet, Jasta 4, markings 'Du doch nicht' and 'LO!' (his girlfriend)

Cnock

Pfft,

that plane got lost from of a fair attraction

Cnock