Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trenches in the dunes

egbert

...and boy was I lucky: some 100 meters away , just around dune no 4711 , I found the blockhouse, almost untouched by time. unfortunately could not open the massive iron door; who knows - maybe my steelhelmet is in there... :o

post-80-1154202226.jpg

I had to overcome dangerous wire entanglement to access this beautiful piece of forgotten trench/bunker:

post-80-1154202439.jpg

No no Bruce, this seems to be the real operation "Strandfest" stuff, simply forgotten by time, just look:

post-80-1154202686.jpg

I am certainly intrigued but also confused. Where are these trenches? Furthermore the 'sand' in the above pictures looks more like snow to me. :blink:

JGM

Context is everything. Wide-angle lens please! <_<

Ian

Tafski,

Methinks Malte has the blood-lust in his eyes. :D

Ian

Sorry no wide angle, just a regular digicam.

Sorry onski no Malte helmet inside, we managed to open the door and found something far more intriguing.

Keep the comments coming as I have to leave this mysterious place in the dunes today.

Hurray, I got my rank back after 300 posts of pruning by Chris- I knew this thread is meaningful!!!! :P

I am certainly intrigued but also confused. Where are these trenches? Furthermore the 'sand' in the above pictures looks more like snow to me. :blink:

JGM

Quick roll up a 20quid note and start sniffing!!!

I can support the amazing story. There were a lot of dangerous UXOs in the dunes :ph34r: . I am proud to be part of the expedition -and boy what we found inside the blockhouse.... :o

post-1909-1154205997.jpg

No wide-angle lens? What a shame. :(

Never mind! Take a dozen steps back and repeat the shot. :P

Ian

@ all:

Excellent news: although the dug out from post #1 is definitely unaccessable and too dangerous to enter, I found another one, not even 50 meters away from "Destin" trench system:

I thought "Destin" was in Florida. :)

Ann

Okay, I think I understand now. The trench system is actually a wedding cake with walnut icing and edible duckboards - and the whole confection is a fiendish scheme to get Egbert his red tabs back.

Time to come clean now, Egbert, and tell us what it's all about ....

Mick

You won't believe it anyway Mick, its about a gigantic military thing.

I hesitate to post the truth as I still fear the authorities here can get me while I am in their jurisdiction. Will definitely tell you once i have safely left this mysterious trench place....

Egbert I know I am probably going to get shot at here but I have just got to ask this question.......this is not another item from the trunk is it?..... :o Is it like the magic wardrobe when you lift the lid you find yourself in the land of ..............?

John

John , I can clearly tell you that this trench system has nothing to do with the trunk thread, except - that i have an important link for/with Marina's last statement in the trunk thread. Marina, i will post the important msg from the outcome of the research concerning the size of Huns in the very last pic of this thread here

In other words, the last pic will show the giants, Egbert and Chester, towering over the diorama - probably with a caption saying: "Hun, I shrunk the trenches" :P

In other words, the last pic will show the giants, Egbert and Chester, towering over the diorama - probably with a caption saying: "Hun, I shrunk the trenches" :P

:lol::lol: I think Egbert is playing a witty joke on me!

Rascal! But I LOVE it!

marina

Hurray, I got my rank back after 300 posts of pruning by Chris- I knew this thread is meaningful!!!! :P

Ill play that game too...nice to see shadows in the picture now

And now – the rest of the story!

At first exploration in the dunes we thought this bunker was a big HQ-shelter, where they house the red tab staff with communication center and all the other war trimmings, who actually command the dunes warfare. We were so totally wrong!!!

The bunker actually was not big, it was huge, no, gigantic in its dimensions; and than we discovered the real purpose that piece of history once proudly housed:

(Picture of total dimension of blockhouse)

post-80-1154261666.jpg

The blockhouse once served as an underground German brewery. Smart guys these huns, sheltered their most valuable assets behind tons of concrete! We now fully understand why they addressed the greatest dunes operation with codeword “Strandfest” !!! I bet they had lots of “Strandfeste” in their area of responsibility

post-80-1154261779.jpg