Remembered Today:

Sherwood Forester Enlistment Date Database

Andrew Hesketh

Pete

It is a shame more people don't think like that! :thumbsup:

......and what a grand set of gongs you have inherited :whistle:

Dick

Dick,

It is quite sobering looking through what we have, he obviously “picked up” some German medals on his travels including an Iron cross 1st class, and we have two of the “Death pennies” that were his wife’s, her brother Harry Moody and her first husband John Ira Keyworth, who if had survived I wouldn’t exist, very strange feelings about that one.

Pete.

STONES, George - Private - 16992 - enlisted Chesterfield 21 Sep 1914 - discharged 05 Dec 1914 - never went overseas with SFs

Reason for Discharge:

Medically unift. Not likely to become an efficient soldier. KR 392 iii©

Dental problems - he did not have opposing molars due to gum disease.

Source:

Pension Record on Ancestry

This man may have re-enlisted into the York & Lancaster regiment & died after the Somme - I'm still investigating (see my other post)

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark.

Strange how often teeth are in issue in the records.

Hi

Not sure if you have Reginald on your database already? - He died of his wounds at Tooting Military Hospital in London and although I don't know anything more about his service at this point but will forward any info as it arises.

Name: BROOKS

Initials: Reginald

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 13/07/1916

Service No: 17603

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 5034 (C.).

Cemetery: DERBY (NOTTINGHAM ROAD) CEMETERY

Regards

K Brooks

Hello all, not been about for a while :whistle:

But my cousin has found out my Grandad's enlistment date. So thanks to him I can now say:

ROGERS, Ernest, Private, 3753. Enlisted with Sherwood Foresters on 01.02.1915 and was placed with the 1/7. Transferred to Machine Gun Corps on 16.12.1916, and was discharged on 28.02.1919. Went to France and fought on the Somme with the SF before his transfer, remained in France with MGC.

Hope that helps!

• 2 months later...

Dear Andrew,

Just been doing some digging for one of my friends ex- Nottingham now living in the US. His great grandfather was:

17780 - Pte. Edmund ODAM - e. 5 October 1914, Nottingham

10th Bn

Age 29, married, four children

Independent Rd. or St., Radford

Entry into ToW 17 July 1915 with rest of Bn

MM LG - 21 October 1916

Discharged 23 February 1919 - no obvious leave on SR so a pretty good stint given the combat record of 10/SF.

I have had a quick look at the WD to track back regarding his MM but no joy. Do you have anything on your databse at all about his MM? My friend would be grateful.

I posted on the 17/SF thread on 1 June. I did a short piece in Britain at War magazine on a 17th Bn man called Herbert Walter Gray who was killed in October 1916 and have an uncorrected PDF if interested.

Hope the above on Edmund Odam adds a little to your database.

Best wishes,

Jon

Jon

I am new to this site and have just read the above posting, Edmund Odam was my great grandfather, and I have his MM. The later posting describing how he carried someone to safty under fire is correct. From what I understand that person was an Arthur Sewell (20542) of the 10th Sherwood Foresters, He and edmund became friends and his daughter (elizabeth) married edmunds son (Harold) my grandparents.

Brenton

Not sure if you are still collating information but I have the following about my great grandfather if it helps.

Sgt Walter Henry Norman Palmer 4961476

Enlisted with early number 9309 on 12yr engagement

1st and 2nd battalion

Discharged 7.11.1928 with life pension serving 21yrs

holds BWM, BM

joined 1st battalion on 9.5.17 served with 'D' Company

France 19.12.1916 - 11.1.1919

According to the Sherwood Foresters Roll he flip flopped between 1st and 2nd battalion

If anyone has any further information about him it would be mych appreciated.

Romany

Thank you for recent updates. The project has been on hold for a few years but I'm hoping soon to have the time to revitalise it.

• 1 month later...

William Pritchett no 1692 enlisted 1904 7th batt., discharged 1911, re-enlisted 25/2/14 7th battn. Have more info if needed.

• 3 months later...

Andy

I have decided to work on my 7**** men and have some dates plus previous units -

The 76*** men seem to be Highland Field Company RE who moved to 9th Bn on 8/2/1917.

Once I have finished checking all of the 76*** men I will post results. Although it would seem that the main Notts&Derby date would be 8/2/17, with enlistment dates into this TF unit - all over the place :D

Steve

ps - good win last night

• 3 years later...

Andrew

I have an addition for you although it is sometime since your original post and since the last post on the topic

John Rowland Brown enlisted as John Brown 3226 30/10/14 5th Reserve Notts and Derby Regiment Sherwood Foresters. His papers are on Ancestry which also list a transfer to the 2/6th DLI regimental number 252443

Regards

Dave

• 2 months later...

Hi Andrew,

Not sure if you are still looking for Sherwood Foresters?

This is my great grandfather:

4295 John Ernest Pawley

3/5th Bttn. Notts & Derby Regiment.

Enlisted - 9/4/15

Embarked - Southampton - 10/11/15

Disembarked - Rouen - 11/11/15

Joined Unit - in field - 14/11/15

Killed in action - in the field - 18/4/16

Regards.

Angela

Angela

The medal rolls have him in 1/5th only.

The 3/5th was a home battalion, so he would have been sent from them to 1/5th and the CWGC confirms 5th battalion when he died.

Berlencourt -

3rd April - Relieved 6th Sherwood Foresters in trenches.

4th April - In Trenches.

Casualties for the 4 days in trenches - 1 Other rank killed and 12 wounded. It would seem that he was the only man killed in that period.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/65912/PAWLEY,%20JOHN%20ERNEST

Steve M

Thank you for replying Steve. I got the 3/5th from his Casualty Form, I didn't realise it was a home battalion. I'm a beginner in researching WW1 and am unfamiliar with the battalions/divisions etc.!

I'm just back from visiting his grave in Ecoivres Military Cemetery in France. We went to Vimy and found the area we believe he died in as I have the war diaries.

The only thing we're missing is a photo. Do you know of anyone who might have a battalion photo somewhere?

Thanks again.

Angela.

Have you looked in local papers? many photos of men who died were added to casualty lists. You could send BRONNO and personal message to see if he has a photo.

Just look under B in members.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I was already talking to him on another thread a while ago so have asked him if he has any photos or advice. I'll send him a personal message if he doesn't pick it up.

Best regards.

Angela.

• 3 months later...
Guest markwillows

Hi Andrew,

I was just wondering if you could help me with any information you may have on my great grandfather who was a Sherwood Forester.

9789 Frederick Willows

I'm guessing that he joined sometime around February 1905.

I have a census from 1911 to say he was in 1st Battalion, but his entitlement to the Victory Medal states that he was in 2nd Battalion.

Any information you might have would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi folks,

Some of you may have noticed that queries regarding SF numbers crop up quite frequently. As a result I began, a while ago, developing a database containing information on number, date of enlistment and battalion. From this I have already been able to significantly narrow down the likely time of enlistment within some number ranges and in some cases can now give a precise date (or close to it). However, I've now run out of my own raw material so I'm asking if anyone else can add to it.

If you have a Forester, his number and known date of enlistment I'd like to hear from you, even if the enlistment date is not precise - a known month would still help (however, any dates must be known, not merely assumed!)

If you can help, could you provide information in the following format, either below or via PM:

Name / Number / Enlistment Date / Battalion /

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

Hi

I noticed some old posts about Thomas Rowland smith of the Sherwood foresters, who served at Gallipolli and in the Camel Corps. I have an interest in Thomas, who came from Tibshelf, and would be interested if anyone has any information about his life.

Thanks

Val

• 3 months later...

Every now and again this old thread sparks back into life with additional data (thank you) or an interesting debate. Fascinating stuff.

Just a comment though: if you are a new member researching a N&D soldier for personal reasons then it might be best to start a new and unique thread in the 'Soldiers' sub-forum. You may get more hits and the N&D anoraks do occasionally look in there (when we let them out).

Hi

I've noticed some previous posts in which you say you have information on Thomas Rowland Smith, including photos. I have an interest in him and would love to know what you have found out about him.

Cheers, Val Dooley

Val

It would be better to start a new thread asking specifically about Thomas, with as much info as possible. If he was on Gallipoli with Sherwood Foresters, then 9th battalion and I can help you, but he could have gone to 1st Garrison battalion in Egypt. Do you have his service number to make life a bit easier?

I have 1172 Thomas Rowland Smith Sherwood Rangers (who went to Gallipoli) but then he became 2/Lt in Sherwood Foresters. Nothing on Camel Corps. Is that your man?

Regards

Steve

Val

It would be better to start a new thread asking specifically about Thomas, with as much info as possible. If he was on Gallipoli with Sherwood Foresters, then 9th battalion and I can help you, but he could have gone to 1st Garrison battalion in Egypt. Do you have his service number to make life a bit easier?

I have 1172 Thomas Rowland Smith Sherwood Rangers (who went to Gallipoli) but then he became 2/Lt in Sherwood Foresters. Nothing on Camel Corps. Is that your man?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Yes, I think that is the same man. He died on 30/03/1918 and is buried in Palestine, I belive. My interest in him is personal rather than military - he had a illegitimate child who was brought up by his aunt. That child was my dad.

Thanks again for replying

Kind regards

Val

Hi Steve

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Yes, I think that is the same man. He died on 30/03/1918 and is buried in Palestine, I belive. My interest in him is personal rather than military - he had a illegitimate child who was brought up by his aunt. That child was my dad.

Thanks again for replying

Kind regards

Val