Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Forester Enlistment Date Database

Andrew Hesketh

Andrew,

Do you require information about Herbert Sassell?

Unfortunately no enlistment date, but a photograph and background about hime and his life after the war. It was from a newspaper article earlier in the year

John

• 1 month later...

Trying to track the footsteps of 6 brothers in WW1. Relatives of my wife. One was in the SF. Have very little info on him (no MIC?) but have a copy of his attestation:

Pte ASHTON Clarence 2263 6th battalion Chapel-en-le Frith 1 September 1914.

Newspaper cutting early Jan 1916 says has "returned to the line after being wounded". Survived the war - died around 1925. Came from Cheadle, Cheshire. Was he in 1/6? Where injured? Loos?

Regards.

Reg

Andrew,

Just found this thread, here is one I found while records were free on ancestry, don't know if you already have him.

William Boddy 2954 - 305853 enlisted 7th Nov 14 8th Bn (2/8th)

On his attestation papers he claimed to have served for 2 years with the 4th N & D time expired. I wonder if this meant the old Volunteer battalion

May have a couple more if you still want them.

Richard

Andrew,

Couple more and still looking,

1890, Thomas Wm Aguilla Chapman, 20/1/14, 8th Bn

2850/265705, Percy Arthur Francis, 25/9/14, 7th Bn

Richard

Trying to track the footsteps of 6 brothers in WW1. Relatives of my wife. One was in the SF. Have very little info on him (no MIC?) but have a copy of his attestation:

Pte ASHTON Clarence 2263 6th battalion Chapel-en-le Frith 1 September 1914.

Newspaper cutting early Jan 1916 says has "returned to the line after being wounded". Survived the war - died around 1925. Came from Cheadle, Cheshire. Was he in 1/6? Where injured? Loos?

Regards.

Reg

Hope you won't mind me answering part of your query but he definitely served with the 6th and 2/6th, 7 copies of his papers are on Ancestry 'Pensions', but not sure that he ever served overseas. regards, BRONNO.

Hope you won't mind me answering part of your query but he definitely served with the 6th and 2/6th, 7 copies of his papers are on Ancestry 'Pensions', but not sure that he ever served overseas. regards, BRONNO.

Hi Bronno. Not at all - any help is gratefully received! Would be interested to understand why you think he may have not gone overseas as my wife seems to think that there are 2 separate references to his doing so. I don't want to hijack this thread so can we continue via PM?

Regards. Reg

Bronno - feel free. I don't see to have the time to respond the SF queries at the minute anyway!

Everyone - thanks for the continued coontribution.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Bronno. Not at all - any help is gratefully received! Would be interested to understand why you think he may have not gone overseas as my wife seems to think that there are 2 separate references to his doing so. I don't want to hijack this thread so can we continue via PM?

Regards. Reg

Just to confirm

2263 Clarence Ashton enlisted into 1/6th Battn Notts & Derby on 1/9/14 and served until 13.3.15 when he was discharged (from 2/6th Battn) as physically unfit. Didn't go overseas.

Mike

Just to confirm

2263 Clarence Ashton enlisted into 1/6th Battn Notts & Derby on 1/9/14 and served until 13.3.15 when he was discharged (from 2/6th Battn) as physically unfit. Didn't go overseas.

Mike

Mike, thanks for confirming what I thought (no service overseas) when I tried to interpret his service papers, hows the book coming on? regards, BRONNO.

Just to confirm

Mike

Hi Mike.

Thanks very much for the confirmation. I've only just got back to Clarence since my last posting so your message is most welcome and saves me a lot of work. Is there some document I can refer to or get a copy of re his discharge so that my wife can include it in her extensive family history files? I guess the next question will be how and where he became unfit i.e was he really wounded in the leg as reported or is that also an error. I know that newspaper reports aren't to be trusted. Unfortunately, apart from one of the 6 brothers (Cath's GF) the reports were the only start we had.

Although I am very much a novice at all this I have also quickly learnt to question my thought processes. It is so easy to make assumptions - even if some of them take some time to become obvious that they are an assumption - like Clarence's brother Cuthbert who was wounded in mid September near High Wood and DofW 5 weeks later. He is buried in Etretat graveyard and I have just realised I have assumed he died in the No 1 General Hospital at Etretat. Now I am not so sure!

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Reg

Reg,

He was sent to the 3rd Northern General Hospital on Nov 27 for an operation to fix 'loose cartilage Rt knee'. My reading of that is he probably had something along the lines of osteochondritis dissecans which might have been caused or brought on by training. Anyway the operation was not successful and he was discharged because he couldn't march!

At that time the 2/6th Battn were still based in Buxton.

PM me your e-mail and I will forward his service papers to you

cheers

Mike

Doesn't look like he applied for, or was awarded, a Silver War Badge as doesn't appear to have an MIC (having trawled the NA search service) and I haven't come across him in my lists. Does appear he may have had a reason to submit a claim for one though.

Regards

James O'Hara

Reg,

He was sent to the 3rd Northern General Hospital on Nov 27 for an operation to fix 'loose cartilage Rt knee'. My reading of that is he probably had something along the lines of osteochondritis dissecans which might have been caused or brought on by training. Anyway the operation was not successful and he was discharged because he couldn't march!

At that time the 2/6th Battn were still based in Buxton.

PM me your e-mail and I will forward his service papers to you

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike.

Thank you for the information. PM on the way.

Regards.

Reg

Doesn't look like he applied for, or was awarded, a Silver War Badge as doesn't appear to have an MIC (having trawled the NA search service) and I haven't come across him in my lists. Does appear he may have had a reason to submit a claim for one though.

Regards

James O'Hara

Thanks James.

An avalanche of info now after hitting a brick wall for ages!

Regards.

Reg

• 1 month later...

Has anyone got info on the 15th Battalion? my relative Artur Noel Eyre was commissioned into 1/6th Sherwoods at the end of 1916 but was seconded to the 15th. I cannot find any reference to him in "The Men of the High Peak" book, but he stayed in the Sherwoods til mid 1918, ending up as Lieutenant before transferring to the RFC/RAF as an observer on DH4s, 57 squadron, shot down over Cambrai Sept 26th 1918, no known grave .. seem to have hit a brick wall, no details at the WFR museum to speak of..

There is a rather nice window dedicated to him in the Crooked Spire in Chesterfield..

thanks, Matt

Pte Ernest Rogers, 3753. Enlisted 27.10.1915.

Transferred to the Machine Gun Corps, 72088. Date unknown.

Disabled in 1918 and discharged on in Feb 1919.

If anyone is able to give me further information about Grandad, I would be very grateful! We are trying to find out which battalion he was in.

Liz

The following information may be of interest it relates to my paternal grandfathers family which are a Nottingham family

Arthur James Morley /Pte 6285/ 27/8/1914 Nottingham 4th Bn later 1st Bn.

Discharged 25/10/1915

Re-enlisted 22/5/1917 Derby (86799) Sherwood Foresters (no Bn quoted) transfered to 2 Co IWIDRE (Royal Engineers) discharged 1919

Frederick Morley/Pte 5064/ 25/8/1914 Nottingham 4th Bn later 9th Bn.

Died of wounds 30/9/1916, buried Puchevillers

Two other brothers served in the RFA and my grandfather in 2nd Leicesters

There are also 2 brothers (Samuel George and Charles) who probably also served in the Notts & Derby, there are probable medal cards, but I am unable to confirm whether they are correct.

I have only just located the service records so I am still researching, but if you would like further information, please contact me

If anyone is able to give me further information about Grandad, I would be very grateful! We are trying to find out which battalion he was in.

Liz

Liz, all of his Medal Entitlement (14-15 Star, VM, BWM and SWB) are on the Machine Gun Corp Medal Roles (and I only have the Notts & Derby).

What I can tell you though is that he served in France with one of the 1st Line Territorial Battalions (5th, 6th, 7th or 8th) with the 139th Bde of the 46th Division. He arrived in France on 27-10-15 with the fourth (?possibly) reinforcement to the Brigade.

cheers

Mike

Hi folks,

Some of you may have noticed that queries regarding SF numbers crop up quite frequently. As a result I began, a while ago, developing a database containing information on number, date of enlistment and battalion. From this I have already been able to significantly narrow down the likely time of enlistment within some number ranges and in some cases can now give a precise date (or close to it). However, I've now run out of my own raw material so I'm asking if anyone else can add to it.

If you have a Forester, his number and known date of enlistment I'd like to hear from you, even if the enlistment date is not precise - a known month would still help (however, any dates must be known, not merely assumed!)

If you can help, could you provide information in the following format, either below or via PM:

Name / Number / Enlistment Date / Battalion /

Thanks in advance. :)

I have one Maldon man in that Regiment - Private Harry Theedon. His service number was 73004. He was in the 11th Battalion. He was born in Heybridge, lived in Prittlewell and enlisted at Southend (no date I am afraid). He was killed 1/10/17 and is remembered at Tyne Cot (Panels 99-102).

Regards

SPN

Maldon

Frederick Morley/Pte 5064/ 25/8/1914 Nottingham 4th Bn later 9th Bn.

Died of wounds 30/9/1916, buried Puchevillers

Whilst at present he is not on my medal rolls in the history, I do have him in the roll of honour. I also have a photo of his grave if you want it.

I have his date of death as 27 September 1916 not 30th.

If you have other details on him, I would love to have them.

There was no certain proof that he was wounded during The Battle of Thiepval 26-28 September 1916 but as with the others - highly probable. He is mentioned on page 71 with the other men buried at Puchevillers.

Steve m

Liz, all of his Medal Entitlement (14-15 Star, VM, BWM and SWB) are on the Machine Gun Corp Medal Roles (and I only have the Notts & Derby).

What I can tell you though is that he served in France with one of the 1st Line Territorial Battalions (5th, 6th, 7th or 8th) with the 139th Bde of the 46th Division. He arrived in France on 27-10-15 with the fourth (?possibly) reinforcement to the Brigade.

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you!

We have the medal cards through ancestry.co.uk but that is as far as we know. Unfortunately the Foresters Museum don't have any more information either! It's looking likely that his records were destroyed in the Blitz :(

What you have said about 139th bde / 46th div is interesting though - the Foresters Museum told me this but of the Machine Gun Corps. Is this info Foresters or MGC? Are you able to tell me?

The 4th reinforcement info, and the possible battalion, is new! So thank you! We had originally sumised from anecdotal evidence that he was with 1/7th.

Hi Liz

The info refers to the Notts and Derby, but I'm a bit confused :blink:

His MIC states that he was sent to France on 27.10.15, but you mentioned in your post that he enlisted on 27.10.15 (both can't be right B) )

post-4619-1236607912.jpg

His Regimental number is more consistent with a early 1915 enlistment for all four TF battns (say Jan to March).

Anyway I think that he went to France in Oct 1915 and served with one of the four 1st Line TF Battns (139thBde/46th Div and could certainly be the 7th?).

He then transferred at a later date to MGC. I think that based on his MGC number that this was sometime between August and December 1916. In fact there was about 30 Notts and Derby men (mostly TF) that transfered to the MGC at that time and given numbers 72069-72099 (Ernest is right in the middle of this lot).

The reason I say August-Dec 1916 is because of the number sequence:-

MGC numbers 24208-24284 transfered in Feb 1916

53252-53713 transfered in August 1916

83190 transfered in Jan 1917

88025 transfered in March 1917

So 72088 lies somewhere between Aug-Dec 1916 (I think)

hope that helps

cheers

Mike

Andrew,

An early man if you don't already know about him, details from his PR Card.

741 Pte John Hopewell Enlisted 1/4/08, Re engaged 3/2/14 (for 1 year) 8th Bn

Richard

Mike that is amazing information!

Being beginners at all this we seem to have got the descriptions of the dates muddled up - we have the copy of the card you have put there for me. We got the 'start' date there but were not sure if that was enlistment or arrival in France - now we know which!

I'd better tell Dad he might be researching the wrong battles :rolleyes:

I have two to add:

-Pte. Fred Martin Coupe / 117320 / 11 May 1918 / 3rd Battalion (later 11th [service] Battalion)

-Pte. William H.P. Hardy / 117514 / 15 May 1918 / 3rd Battalion (later 114272, 11th [service] Battalion)

Both men were eventually transferred to the 2nd Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment.